Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Slightly Less Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Cookie

Posted

In these situations its all about 'nowcasting', there is a slim chance some low level areas down to about 150m may see some temporary snow cover overnight and first thing this morning where precipitation is particularly heavy, this more likely to occur over central, east cumbria and perhaps the far eastern parts of lancashire and pennine districts.

Temps will drop in the heavy precipitation due to evaporative cooling and the front will be stalling in situ which will help to maintain lower dewpoints.

Certainly higher ground above 300m should see a few cms by morning with ground above 600m possible seeing close to 15cms. Higher pennine routes will be very tricky in the morning and higher routes like the A6 and A592 will probably be impassible.

As the day wears on and we see the front edge eastwards, milder air will rapidly move in and turn any snow quickly to rain even at moderate levels - say 400m, so any lying snow below this heights will quickly begin to thaw in the saturated air.

It will be interesting to read reports in the morning and see who caught any lying snow.. it could easily end up a high ground event only, but equally could bring some surprising falls to quite low levels.

Here I don't expect any lying snow, but perhaps some very heavy sleet/wet snow falling from the sky, but never managing to settle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Current temp 5.2C

Dewpoint 1.1C

Impressive band of precipitation moving in. I don't think many places will manage to avoid that tonight.

Good luck to those of you on higher ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Upgrades. Sadly not for those of us south of the region:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

4.2c here dp 0.8c

Se'ly wind strong gusting 35-40mph

it feels very raw outside and a bit chilly inside i have turned the heating up. i wish i lived above 500/600m :whistling: