Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Slightly Less Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Cookie

Posted

Can't see much action in this thread in the coming days in terms of talk about the days cold weather. Far from it, all we will be able to talk about is wind, rain and cloud, oh and nice mild temps with double digit maxes, though I am not expecting anywhere to see anything higher than 12 degrees, and here in Cumbria will be probably just manage to squeeze a couple of days at 10 degrees. So although mild, nothing ridiculously mild on the cards.

I fear we will be talking about localised flooding instead of snowfall.

But I anticipate this is going to be a brief blip and next week we will be talking frosts and snow potential again..

As for snow, well we had some heavy snow first thing which left a slushy cover..

Posted

i thought the YELLO thing was a wigan/ manchester accent thing LOL silly me

haha, just a misspell due to my iPad being hard to sign up with =D

Also, since when did wiganers say yello :D

Made me laugh this yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

When answering the phone

Edited by saintpeter

Posted

Milder, But For How Long?

Over the next few days the weather is going to turn milder, however there will be alot of wet and windy weather around. Although we are not done with the snow just yet, as the next front to sweep in from the Atlantic may well bring a brief period of snow to some areas.

However before that Northern areas will see increasing amounts of sunshine, however further South i think it will remain cloudy with some light showers possible even these will be far between. As we move towards the evening hours a front will begin to move in from the Atlantic, however skies will be clear and this will allow tempertures to drop and a slight frost may develop. The charts below are from the 06z and show the tempertures for 18.00 and midnight.

post-4226-0-32498200-1294750797_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-63606700-1294750816_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-03673800-1294750818_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-12050800-1294750819_thumb.pn

The rain will turn heavy across Ireland for a time, turning lighter later overnight. The rain will be at it's heaviest across Wales, The South West and later Northern England and Scotland.

post-4226-0-75768700-1294751297_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-27718000-1294751299_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-71713200-1294751295_thumb.pn

However as the rain hits the colder air sitting across the Scotland and the far North of Northern England it may turn to snow, more so across Scotland, Scottish Hills and the Hills across Northern England. Snow will even possible across lower levels for a time. Amounts are very uncertain could be alittle bit more or less, however i would not rule out 2-3cm to some localized lower levels and as much as 5-8cm across the hills. Any wintery weather across Northen England should turn to rain fairly quickly, elsewhere is going to be a milder night with rain (heavy at times) across all areas of the UK. Heavy rain coupled with last night's heavy rain and snow-melt could lead to some localized flooding, there are a number of flood watches in force across the UK and can be found here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx

The charts below are taken from the 06z precip type charts.

post-4226-0-67766900-1294752117_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-99763800-1294752115_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-74487100-1294752114_thumb.pn

As we move towards dawn the tempertures across Scotland will be on the chilly side, so ice may be a hazard first thing. However rain will still be sitting across most parts, and this again will be heavy towards the West.

However the rain should clear East towards dusk, although it will leave some sharp showers in its wake.

post-4226-0-34108200-1294752745_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-82976100-1294752746_thumb.pn

post-4226-0-89835500-1294752743_thumb.pn

The milder air should reach all areas of the UK by the end of Thursday, and temps will be 8-13c. For the rest of the week its looking wet and windy at times, however there will be a couple of dry windows at times. However with all the rain that's due over the next week or so flooding is expected.

post-4226-0-33512000-1294753084_thumb.pnpost-4226-0-30287200-1294753086_thumb.pnpost-4226-0-94945000-1294753087_thumb.pnpost-4226-0-55517500-1294753090_thumb.pnpost-4226-0-05396000-1294753093_thumb.pnpost-4226-0-95841800-1294753094_thumb.pnpost-4226-0-80001100-1294753082_thumb.pn

Posted

i thought the YELLO thing was a wigan/ manchester accent thing LOL silly me

haha, just a misspell due to my iPad being hard to sign up with =D

Made me laugh this yahoo.gif

i dunno

lol it made me laugh too....................thats it ive finally gone MAD, MAD I TELL U

Edited by SNOWGO

Posted

very boring weather today not much to report..............wow busy on here init?

plus i have had a name change i was bored of SNOWGO and lol thats exactly what it is at the moment SNOWGO.

Edited by wheresmysnow

Posted

It definitely is nippy tonight Lancs Lass. If fact, it's been a bit chilly here all day! But at least it's not raining...yet!

Nout much to talk about is there Snowgo, the weather is as dull as dishwater, innit! LOL

Posted

possibility of a stormy saturday from what i can gather from the model thread

It definitely is nippy tonight Lancs Lass. If fact, it's been a bit chilly here all day! But at least it's not raining...yet!

Nout much to talk about is there Snowgo, the weather is as dull as dishwater, innit! LOL

i wish i was back in the middle of december last year dont you least we had snow and all the anticipation of snow yet to come, feel like at the moment we are on the brink of spring, oh well i think i will go and get myself a life LOL

1c here boiling

Edited by wheresmysnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Interesting. Temperatures on the way down region wide, dewpoints relatively low, precipitation in coming from the West.

I wonder? :p

Posted

Interesting. Temperatures on the way down region wide, dewpoints relatively low, precipitation in coming from the West.

Whats your temp?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Whats your temp?

Dunno.

One station says 3.3C but that needs a battery change. Been saying 3/4c for ages. Others batteries have ran out and the one upstairs isn't accurate till 3am. xD

Posted

temp -1c now

dewpoint -2c

how low does my dewpoint have to be for snow please?

Edited by wheresmysnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Mine are now on the rise so definitely rain for me.

Current temp 2.3C

Dewpoint 0.2C

Posted

temp -1c now

dewpoint -2c

how low does my dewpoint have to be for snow please?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's 0C so you're definitely on the right side.

Posted

The band of rain should be reaching us within the next hour or so.

Posted

the band of precipitation is probably less than 20 minutes away now. We will see soon, i hope it falls as snow, even if it doesnt stay around for long :D

Lancashire Lass beat me to it :D

Edited by The Yello Snowman

Posted

i remember someone saying if you add them up and they make less than 0, precipitation will fall as snow.

No, generally <0 is needed for snow, but many other factors determine the likelihood os snow.

As a General rule you need:

-At most 528 DAM line ( This can be flexible in heavy precipitation, but any lasting snow at low levels really generally needs this)

-At most -5c 850's ( Also flexible, but for anything decent at lower levels, this is a must)

- The Zero Degree Isothern must be low enough. I believe its something like 300m for lower levels to see snow

Posted

Its been a lovely day here. Lots of sunshine and clear skies with light winds, though it was quite cold. A quick frost developed this evening and we are currently hovering around 0 degrees. Depending on when this front arrives we may well see some temporary heavy wet snow before it turns to rain.