Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rob Mcelwee's Last Shift Is Tonight Folks - Last Forecast Is At 10.52Pm Bbc One :( End Of An Era.

Cymro

Is this a bad move by the Beeb?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this decision is the correct thing to do?

• No Way - Very bad move
    • Not sure - cut's have to be made
    • Yes - too much of a cold ramper

Posted

I tend to agree- the MetO provides the radar data for N-W Extra so there's some co-operation between the two companies- not exactly a sign of being in opposition!

Believe me TWS the relationship between the BBC and the MO is a very complicated subject going back years and not really for a public forum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I saw him yesterday Kar. I think his name is Des Coleman? I too couldn't believe what i was seeing. Don't know if it's on the iplayer anywhere, if it is I urge all member to have a look at any of the midlands today news broadcast over the weekend!

Glad somebody thought the same as me! He must have been smoking something beforehand! :blink:

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I saw him yesterday Kar. I think his name is Des Coleman? I too couldn't believe what i was seeing. Don't know if it's on the iplayer anywhere, if it is I urge all member to have a look at any of the midlands today news broadcast over the weekend!

The Midlands Today page only has Fridays forecast but here's 'ya man himself on East Midlands Today....

"Deader than tank tops...... yaaaaawwwwww"! ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_7760000/7760848.stm

Rob's last Forecast may be i-player later.

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

For God's sake BBC,

You are the worst bunch of idiots going. Your online forecasts are rubbish, and you most certainly can't get a regional forecast right.

But Rob.... He was something. Best EVER forecaster on the BBC. An absolute disgrace to fire Rob from the TV rolls. I hope you read this, get a grip, sack Corbett, not a living legend.

Good day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

wasn't a massive fan of McElwee myself, but it's sad to see any of the BBC forecasters go...

Posted

For those who missed his last live forecast, his pre-recorded Weatherview is at 00.50.

Posted

Stop blaming the BBC - it's a Met Office cost-cutting decision. The BBC no longer have any say in which Met Office employees appear on screen.

Given that in his situation many of us would have felt like chucking a brick through the camera, that was a very dignified end to 20 years of superb work.

That is twoddle. So why the new contracts?

Posted

It was also a great shame that his last forecast was a brief one. They could have at least given him the Countryfile forecast.

Posted

That is twoddle. So why the new contracts?

In what way is that twaddle? It's a matter of public record that the decision was made by the Met Office, who are the employers of the BBC national forecasters (but not most of the local ones), although various BBC-hating national newspapers have difficulty in understanding this.

The MetO's contract for providing forecasts/forecasters to the BBC was renegotiated last year - resulting in a somewhat lower fee. As a consequence, the MetO decided to cut staff costs among the personnel seconded to the BBC. Several backroom staff were redeployed/made redundant, four broadcast meteorologists have been removed from broadcasting altogether (resulting in pay/allowances drops of up to 40% for them) and most of the rest have had their salaries/allowances cut by up to £10,000.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

have to say how sorry I am to see Rob Mcelwee@s last BBc forecast shortly ago. I know many cold fans on Netweather will miss his infectious affinity with extreme weather and his sardonic smiles when Britain was about to be hit by the unusual. I'm surprised he didnt get a Knighthood in the new years honours list.

BRING BACK SIR ROB!!!

Posted

In what way is that twaddle? It's a matter of public record that the decision was made by the Met Office, who are the employers of the BBC national forecasters (but not most of the local ones), although various BBC-hating national newspapers have difficulty in understanding this.

Fine. Could you point me in a directinion where I can find the plublic record of that decision by the Met. Office.

Posted

Fine. Could you point me in a directinion where I can find the plublic record of that decision by the Met. Office.

I fail to see what your agenda is about the plublic record, or needing directinion, and why is it an issue anyway? Try using Google and you'll eventually come across newspaper reports of defensive MetO responses. However, to clarify, the broadcast meteorologists on the BBC are employed by the Met Office, not the BBC, who have no say on who's employed or who's not employed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Missed his last forecast but what I will say is what a sad, sad situation we find ourselves in now with BBC weather forecasts. How can they justify removing Rob from our screens? What a technically brilliant forecaster who managed to involve 'joe public' in the forecasts he gave. It wasn't his looks, or flashy presenting style that involved people, it was his desire for the subject area of meteorology that was so infectious- you could tell he wasn't blindly reading an autocue. This guy knew what he was talking about and what I liked about him was the fact that he could think outside of the box and amend forecasts if they didn't seem to be going to plan- somrthing that the others can't seem to do as they are probably rigidly following a script. Intelligent guy is Mr Mc Elwee.

Posted

The best weatherman in the beeb IMO, he will be dearly missed. He has a special skill in communicating the forecast that nobody else at the MO has.

Watched that East Mids forecast, I thought maybe a couple of you were over hyping things a little but nope you're spot on, It did look like he was about to burst into a few 'riddims' from 'lethal bizzal' and '50 cent'. Funny yes, but not really when you think that Rob goes and he doesn't.

Besides, rapper Des has the yanks to compete with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

If anything, he should of been promoted, not dropped from the screens.

If I make a thread asking Paul whether he could be signed up to NW along with Michael Fish, would you guys show your support?

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well, being totally honest I nearly had a tear in the eye last night!

I'm still exceptionally scornful over the move to take him from the screens - he is the most interesting, most entertaining, most engaging, most informative of any forecaster on TV IMO.

I am still very embittered by the shocking decision, and quite frankly question whether there are people within both the BBC and MetO who have a sodding clue regarding forecasters and who presents on TV.

Rob McElwee has been my longstanding favourite TV forecaster and hope that either he gets a job on another channel, or at least comes back to present either regionally or weather related programmes.

Does anyone have a way of contacting Rob McElwee...I agree it would be awesome if we could get him on here alongside Michael Fish, or at least to let him know there are many out there who are disgusted he's going :cray:

Posted

Well, being totally honest I nearly had a tear in the eye last night!

I'm still exceptionally scornful over the move to take him from the screens - he is the most interesting, most entertaining, most engaging, most informative of any forecaster on TV IMO.

I am still very embittered by the shocking decision, and quite frankly question whether there are people within both the BBC and MetO who have a sodding clue regarding forecasters and who presents on TV.

Rob McElwee has been my longstanding favourite TV forecaster and hope that either he gets a job on another channel, or at least comes back to present either regionally or weather related programmes.

Does anyone have a way of contacting Rob McElwee...I agree it would be awesome if we could get him on here alongside Michael Fish, or at least to let him know there are many out there who are disgusted he's going :cray:

What makes it worse is that it wasn't his decision to go. If he had decided to leave or retire or whatever, I'd admit we'd still be sad to see him go, but we'd be happy for him moving on. However, since the decision was not in his hands at all, he had no choice and is being forced to go behind the scenes...

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Here:

Actually that does n't seem to be the last?

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

If anything, he should of been promoted, not dropped from the screens.

If I make a thread asking Paul whether he could be signed up to NW along with Michael Fish, would you guys show your support?

But he still has a job, just behind the scenes I believe. It's not as if he's currently queuing up at the dole office!