Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rob Mcelwee's Last Shift Is Tonight Folks - Last Forecast Is At 10.52Pm Bbc One :( End Of An Era.

Cymro

Is this a bad move by the Beeb?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this decision is the correct thing to do?

• No Way - Very bad move
    • Not sure - cut's have to be made
    • Yes - too much of a cold ramper

Posted

Tonight see's Rob Mcelwee's last forecast on the Beeb. Hope you all watch it, What a great weather forecaster he is! Will be dearly missed.

Please don't delete this thread mods, as I feel it's needed so that everyone knows of his last shift, regardless of other topics. Thank you :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

How do you know?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

A true god among weather forecasters and the best cold ramper out there :D

He will sadly missed :(

Posted

I've Googled it and found nothing to suggest he's going after tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Dont know if this is true but if it this is a very bad move by the BBC and im guessing the people who said not sure and cuts need to be made are hard born tories and mild rampers in one? :whistling: (light humour intended here not offence btw) :smiliz19:

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Thanks for alerting people to this- shame it's his last already, what a character.

Posted

Maybe he wanted to go (if he's going, that is)? I think he's the best forecaster the beeb have got, so if he does go it will be a sad day.

Posted

Maybe he wanted to go (if he's going, that is)? I think he's the best forecaster the beeb have got, so if he does go it will be a sad day.

No choice for him, Phillip Avery, Tomasz Schafernaker and at least one other. After a re-interview process they were deemed not to have sufficient team-member skills to appear on television and have been moved to the role of "duty weather manager" providing forecasts for the others (presumably managers don't need team-member skills) in a cost-cutting exercise (BBC broadcast meteorologists' salaries have until now been topped up with allowances depending on what broadcasts they are qualified to do, so cutting down on the number of people who appear on television cuts down on the wage bill).

Posted

Yeah just seen the Twitter updates. Very sad.

Posted

Well, if those three/four are going, who do we have left? I hope it isn't going to be all females who are chosen for what they look like and nothing else......

Posted

Maybe the Net Weather team could contact him and see if he's interested in contributing to the site. He'll be a fantastic addition, warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

A bloody disgrace. Would love to know the real reason. How the hell is Corbett better?

With you on that one, drives me potty watching him.

Posted

I'm not sure why he is going. I think it's to do with the Met Office. I quite liked his forecasts during cold spells (I guess he likes the cold weather). Sky Weather has replaced most of their forecasters with an incompanent lady who seems to have been taken off the street to do forecast.

Maybe the Net Weather team could contact him and see if he's interested in contributing to the site. He'll be a fantastic addition, warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Fantastic idea, although I suspect going from national TV broadcasts to netweather.tv would be a bit of a step down :whistling:

Posted

A real shame and I will miss his wink at the end of his forecasts. Lets hope he does join Netweather if he is asked.

If he's just shifting to a duty forecaster/manager job rather than leaving completely, he'll still be a Met Office employee and they wouldn't look kindly on him contributing to the opposition.

Posted

If he's just shifting to a duty forecaster/manager job rather than leaving completely, he'll still be a Met Office employee and they wouldn't look kindly on him contributing to the opposition.

Michael Fish does and he still does the odd televised broadcast for the BBC. You never know, as the old saying goes 'no cheek no chance'.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

RAIN RAIN RAIN

Fantastic idea, although I suspect going from national TV broadcasts to netweather.tv would be a bit of a step down :whistling:

He may already be a member......

Posted

He may already be a member......

Is that you?....If so you better get your bum in gear as your on air in half hour. :smiliz19:

Edited by High Altitude