Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Model Analysts' Thread

Posted

Following some of the feedback within the running of the model thread, we gave some thought as to how people who don't have the time, or the inclination, to search through the model discussion thread to find out what's going on, could be catered for. So, we've decided to try a thread whereby the forecast team, and a selected group of members, briefly give their thoughts on the models once a day in a thread visible to all, but locked except to those participating. This is in no way aimed to detract from the model discussion thread. Instead, in addition to giving people easy access to the main themes of the models, we hope it might go on to lead to a slightly more structured debate within the existing model thread. It might even allow us to be slightly more relaxed on the moderation within the existing thread, but don't hold me to that!

So, in addition the the forecasting team (Nick F, Glacier Point, Jackone and Thundery Wintry Showers), we've asked Chionomaniac, Mushymanrob, Nick Sussex, Oldmetman, Roger J Smith, Steve Murr, The Eye In The Sky and Weather Eater to give their views too. I really want to stress that there were almost countless people we could have invited to join in, but we wanted a relatively small group and feel those asked will provide a good cross section of both preferences and ways of interpreting the huge amounts of information out there. Of course, all participants will still be entirely free to join in the existing thread.

We hope to start this off later today, and it's expected that early evening each day (but not exclusively at that time), those participants who are able to will give their thoughts and perhaps a brief bit of debate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Excellent idea, a superb bunch as well - from all sides of the "weather spectrum"!

Posted

Excellent idea.

Great bunch of forecasters for our new thread. Surely with all of these guys this thread could be "better than the models"

Look forward to reading and learning.

Thank you to all for the forecasters for your time.

Meso

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Sounds brilliant, hope it's as good as I think it will!

Perfect idea, like a meeting of the 'Boffins', and some nice Weather Banter in there perhaps, looking forward to it!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Great idea as it takes some time trudging through countless posts.... So is this to continue throughout the year or only for the winter months?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Sounds a great addition.

Thanks.

Looking forward to reading that.

BL :)

Posted

It's a possibility, and we'll keep an eye on that. In theory, it's not stopping anyone talking about the models in the existing thread, and might actually put more meat on the bones, so to speak. But yeah, it's something we've spoken about and we'll see how it goes.

In terms of whether this is for winter only, I don't see any reason why it would have to be because there are many, even in the summer, who'd like to know what the models are showing. Again, something we'll see about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Good idea,

I think I sugessted something along those lines last time the question was raised last year.

In no way do i think the main model thread would become diluted, infact it would probably lead to a more easy going thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Good idea - look forward to it.

Maybe Martin Gibbs' excellent summaries that have started to make a very welcome appearance here could also be included, unless it is intended that they are each separate threads.

Posted

What if he suddenly decides to go on tour again?

Adding people to the thread is certainly possible. We really don't want this to be seen as an exclusive bunch, so when we think someone can add something, we'll take a look.

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Hmmm. Not sure about this really.

We already have Model Output Discussion, Technical Output Discussion and General Model Output Discussion and now a fourth. Sounds like too many similar threads to me. All it does is dilute the existing Model Output Discussion and will probably mean that the more interesting posts will disappear from that thread and appear on the new one and us lesser mortals won't be able to discuss them properly.

Personally I think it would make more sense to 'police' the Model Output Discussion more tightly and anything that is not relevant to be put in the General Model Output Discussion thread.

It seems now that everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Anything to cut to the main chase instantly without wading through 90% of crap is good for me :acute:

Bye bye Model discussion poop and hello "the running of the model thread"

In depth discussion is my favorite but lacks daily updates?

bring it on NW!

Posted

It is worth a try.

I'm a little surprised not to see John Holmes name in the group that has been listed?

Cheers

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hmmm. Not sure about this really.

We already have Model Output Discussion, Technical Output Discussion and General Model Output Discussion and now a fourth. Sounds like too many similar threads to me. All it does is dilute the existing Model Output Discussion and will probably mean that the more interesting posts will disappear from that thread and appear on the new one and us lesser mortals won't be able to discuss them properly.

Personally I think it would make more sense to 'police' the Model Output Discussion more tightly and anything that is not relevant to be put in the General Model Output Discussion thread.

It seems now that everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others!

The current Model Output Discussion is a complete mess, the good posts made by the experienced members on here are drowned out by endless garbage - especially when the weather gets interesting. The new idea will enable those who want to read and learn from the discussion do so, without trawling through pages of crap.

But I agree there are too many threads now.

Posted

John was invited, but is about to go off on holiday so would prefer to wait until his return before any possible participation.

I think SMM makes some valid points, and perhaps we could do with a bit of rationalisation in the area, so we'll take a look.

Posted

The current Model Output Discussion is a complete mess, the good posts made by the experienced members on here are drowned out by endless garbage - especially when the weather gets interesting. The new idea will enable those who want to read and learn from the discussion do so, without trawling through pages of crap.

But I agree there are too many threads now.

I do agree. It's just that I'm worried the Model Discussion Thread will still be full of garbage and will become 'dead' if the contibutors listed above do not continue to post there as well.

Posted

I'll sign them up to Persian Paladin's Facebook account if that happens.

The mind boggles !:D

Posted

The current Model Output Discussion is a complete mess, the good posts made by the experienced members on here are drowned out by endless garbage

Blimey, you should see what we have to trash then..... :whistling:

It's just that I'm worried the Model Discussion Thread will still be full of garbage and will become 'dead' if the contibutors listed above do not continue to post there as well.

I suspect we will still see a very active Model Discussion thread and rest assured, all garbage will still be taken out around the back and dumped or recycled (where such facilities exist)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I do agree. It's just that I'm worried the Model Discussion Thread will still be full of garbage and will become 'dead' if the contibutors listed above do not continue to post there as well.

To be honest how many people reading the current Model Discussion thread are actually interested in all the 'chaff' between the 'wheat'. I have to confess that there have been numerous times over the past two months when I have stopped reading it because of the amount of *carp* in there, (and that's even with the sterling job the Mods do policing it). It can sometimes become 'how many different ways can different people say the same thing'............

Posted

To be honest i think its a great idea, if the thread it going to be locked execpt for the people giving the forecast. It's going to help me 100% and when im skiving from work i can now go and check this thread, instead of going through the crap on the other thread (when all the moaner start).

As for it being dead, its going to be dead anyway as only the team members can post in it?, or have i mis-understood.

Plus its not actually going to stop us making comment on there thoughts either, in the current models thread, so bring it on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

If you think it's garbage, don't read it. Simple really.