Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincs And The Pennines - Cold Spell Discussion 13

Paul

Posted

:w00t: :w00t:

Haven't checked the radar in the while and it's great, a streamer of heavy showers conveying of the Irish sea and not affected by the Pennines, slowly moving south!

Posted

Haven't checked the radar in the while and it's great, a streamer of heavy showers conveying of the Irish sea and not affected by the Pennines, slowly moving south!

They aint moving south, they are associated with the track of the LP, just a little intensification on the southern edge, with some slight energy about.

they are moving Eastwards.

The flow has to much of a WSW element so them showers will just push ENE.

post-12083-0-85969200-1294527381_thumb.ppost-12083-0-83453100-1294527387_thumb.ppost-12083-0-00992100-1294527394_thumb.p

Later on in the early hours it may become better for showers pushing west to east, but the showers won't be around or more organized.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Ye, there definatly moving south, who knows we might get hit in a couple of hours time.

Im not sure that any snow would settle below 100m at first, with the 0 isotherm very touch and go http://www.netweathe...degisotherm.png

But as we head through the morning, the 0 isotherm drops below 100m. http://www.netweathe...degisotherm.png I would expect a light covering in parts of north/west yorkshire with maybe some moderate accumulations above 300m :)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

..............with maybe some moderate accumulations above 300m :)

I'll let you know :) Radar looking quite a bit more hopeful than forecast.............

Posted

Ye, there definatly moving south, who knows we might get hit in a couple of hours time.

Im not sure that any snow would settle below 100m at first, with the 0 isotherm very touch and go http://www.netweathe...degisotherm.png

But as we head through the morning, the 0 isotherm drops below 100m. http://www.netweathe...degisotherm.png I would expect a light covering in parts of north/west yorkshire with maybe some moderate accumulations above 300m :)

Amazing what a high resolution model shows, looking at the chart you posted it suggests what I would be happy with 100-200m, when infact at a higher resolution for the same time, it's 500-600m;

post-12083-0-77328600-1294530117_thumb.p

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Zippo here. Tonight's main feature a stiff breeze plus disappointingly rising temps again. Didn't expect that temps I mean.

Posted

Zippo here. Tonight's main feature a stiff breeze plus disappointingly rising temps again. Didn't expect that temps I mean.

Yess they are alot higher than I expected, currently 2.4c, was 2.5 ten minutes ago so hopefully a rapid fall. Perhaps the cold air hasn't advocated as fast as the models projected?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just had a light snow shower here, just a slight covering. -1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The feature should be moving through Leeds in the next hour or two though it will be marginal with temperatures around 2C, but the dew point around 0C.

The report of snow at 300 metres bodes well.

Posted

The feature should be moving through Leeds in the next hour or two though it will be marginal with temperatures around 2C, but the dew point around 0C.

The report of snow at 300 metres bodes well.

My temperatures shooting up, now 2.3C.

Lets hope there's enough precipitation around when conditions become more favourable (3-6am).....

Heavy rain at the moment with sleet and hail mixed in. Snowline definatly 300m+ but this should start to lower through the night :)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

There's a tail of PPn at the front of the main bulk, it's only small but is over here and is currently sleeting, very wet snow, you could class it all as very wet snow. Has gone very windy too.

I can only use the south east Leeds temperature but it's reporting 2.5c, there are stations round here but I don't trust them and LBA updates on a half hour basis.

Posted

There's a tail of PPn at the front of the main bulk, it's only small but is over here and is currently sleeting, very wet snow, you could class it all as very wet snow. Has gone very windy too.

I can only use the south east Leeds temperature but it's reporting 2.5c, there are stations round here but I don't trust them and LBA updates on a half hour basis.

My temperature has now dropped to 2.0C

Posted

1.3c here, hasn't risen above 1.6c since 7pm.

Will have to see what the temps are like when the precipitation hits here (if it makes it) problem is the 0c isotherm being 500-600m with the snowline being 300m+ in light precipitation, and down to 100-150m (wet snow to ground level) during heavier precipitation.

Can't see anything other than a wintry mix at best here.

Lewis

Posted

As expected failed to get over the pennines, and dies off very quickly.

Bed time for me, night all, good luck with snow overnight.

lewis

Erm... yes it did

post-8968-0-65754900-1294534472_thumb.pn

I stated earlier the PPN will make it past the Pennines but will die out over Leeds.

Posted

What a lovely day for walking the dog, or generally going out for some fresh air.

Beaming sunshine, 6c feels tropical out there against the temps we have experienced over the past few months, no wind, lovely.

I love the cold weather don't get me wrong, but I welcome this, shame it's going to turn wet and windy throughout the course of next week.

Lewis

Posted
Posted · Hidden by reef, January 9, 2011 - This does not need to be spammed on every single regional thread!
Hidden by reef, January 9, 2011 - This does not need to be spammed on every single regional thread!

Sorry to inform you folks but Rob McElwee's last shift is tonight - last forecast is at 10.52pm BBC One :( End of an Era.

Posted

Eveniing all.

I need a bit of help with my station! The humidity has barely shifted from 99% in the last 8 days! Currently It's reading 1.2C with a dew point of 1.0C.

We have quite a sharp frost formed outside though. Is this possible with a dew point above freezing? cc_confused.gif

Posted

Its possible if the ground is below freezing at the same time. Its very unlikely that the humidity has been at that level constantly for days though. It isnt an Oregon station is it by any chance? They have notoriously poor humidity sensors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Sleet falling here at the moment. Some lethal surfaces as everything is covered in thick hoar frost.

Posted

A surprising hoar frost this morning, you could of easily mistaken it for snow-cover as it literally covered every surface. When the front arrived there was very heavy freezing rain for a good hour, temperatures at first were -2.2c with heavy rain, this rose pretty quickly and a high of 5.1c was achieved in the afternoon. The paths were pretty lethal with thick slushy ice covering the pavements, I would imagine it would have been rock solid ice if it wasn't for the amount of people walking on them.

Edited by cheeserice