Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincs And The Pennines - Cold Spell Discussion 13

Paul

Posted

A dull and rather wet day here, and the GFS 12Z is showing more heavy PPN around here for tomorrow morning.

Posted

All in all quite pleased with what weve had, just a shame that the heavier stuff was towards the south east of me or it would have got very interesting!

With any luck it will fall as snow, the NAE thinks it will.

post-8968-0-61901300-1294415622_thumb.gi

Anyway around 3-4 CM with 5 CM on the grass, notably there is no difference between low ground and high ground. I was hoping once I hit 130 M we would see a rapid increase in depths but this wasn't the case. Was snow throughout and is currently drizzling and quite foggy, fortunately there is no melt, surprising really considering how heavy the drizzle was earlier but there is nothing falling of the trees as you would expect with any thaw.

Temperature -1.c, DP -1.2c.

Edited by cheeserice

Posted

With any luck it will fall as snow, the NAE thinks it will.

post-8968-0-61901300-1294415622_thumb.gi

Anyway around 3-4 CM with 5 CM on the grass, notably there is no difference between low ground and high ground. I was hoping once I hit 130 M we would see a rapid increase in depths but this wasn't the case. Was snow throughout and is currently drizzling and quite foggy, fortunately there is no melt, surprising really considering how heavy the drizzle was earlier but there is nothing falling of the trees as you would expect with any thaw.

Temperature -1.c, DP -1.2c.

Yes it might fall as snow for a time, not sure it will add to the accumulations though closedeyes.gif

Temperature a respectable 0.1C :)

Posted

Yes it might fall as snow for a time, not sure it will add to the accumulations though closedeyes.gif

Temperature a respectable 0.1C :)

The next batch is here now and is falling as.............RAIN :cc_confused:

Posted

It looks to be here any minute now, I think it will be rain, the NAE looks to be over estimating the snow potential this time.

I wouldn't rule out some snow though.

Posted

i am simply amazed! this is twice this has happened now! WHAT A WASTE AND ANNOYANCE. sub zero outside and has been no thaw what soever and as the next area arrives its rain again. the uppers always scupper it dont they! how can it be that much warmer higher up.

Posted

Ye, we just have drizzle at the moment. Although my temperature is 0.2C, the air aloft is now probably too mild to support snow below 300m.

Posted

Radar telling porkies, drizzle here with the odd flake. There wasn't any flakes earlier... maybe there is some hope.

Posted

i am simply amazed! this is twice this has happened now! WHAT A WASTE AND ANNOYANCE. sub zero outside and has been no thaw what soever and as the next area arrives its rain again. the uppers always scupper it dont they! how can it be that much warmer higher up.

look on the bright side, atleast with the ground temperatures being so cold the snow has managed to settle without any melt :) In the rubbish winters we became used to, most days like today would have just produced horrible slush... bad.gif

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

In other news... the drizzle has turned to very wet snow.

Posted

look on the bright side, atleast with the ground temperatures being so cold the snow has managed to settle without any melt :) In the rubbish winters we became used to, most days like today would have just produced horrible slush... bad.gif

true-its just a shame though isnt it. and all the times u look at temp to get to 0c lol and now it is but with rain. hate seeing rain wash away snow.

Posted

true-its just a shame though isnt it. and all the times u look at temp to get to 0c lol and now it is but with rain. hate seeing rain wash away snow.

Ye same here.

Its great when your snow cover stays in time for the next snowfall, just accumulating further and further biggrin.gif

But can't say I've experienced that too often.. lol

Posted

Its been an awful day here. It never looked remotely like turning wintry, with heavy rain accompanied by strong winds throughout. Its now turned mider in the last few hours and is quite foggy now. Currently 5C here at work, but looking at nearby stations it probably isnt too far off that at home too.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Quite impressive snow this morning despite the heaviness it didn't make much of depth in the lower areas of Sheffield quickly turning into a slushy mess on the pavements. About an inch left of wet snow when I got home at 16:15. At least the 2nd band of rain as passed us by so the snow may survive until morning unless the temps rocket up.

I'm interested what that front does when it moves south again.

Posted

Very quiet on here, wouldn't have thought areas had seen snow today.

Currently 3.8c here, damp, dismal.

Had a good 4-5 hours of continuous snow sometimes heavy.

5cm accumulated in Pudsey and was the same at 'sea level' at the bottom of LS7 working today.

Drizzle up here now but hasn't dented the snow cover much.biggrin.gif

Posted

Well after looking out the window at 5+ hours of snow in LS11 today which is quite nice to see as it only normally snows at sleep time (drunk time)

Overall had about 5cm which became quite wet near the end

The second batch of PPN came through and was just plain old rain

By 8.45pm at home in WF6 there is very little snow left

I must admit as someone said earlier that it is not very often you see snow right the way through when everyone else was getting rain.

Feels like the 70's/ 80's are back again when you would look forward as a child to getting snow falling and then after making a snowman watch it for 2 or 3 days getting smaller.

The last 2 years as a snow lover has become better and even the wife has started calling me the weather master or snow man as I get to tell her where when and how much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just waiting and watching how the weather pan's out over the next week in the new model thread!!!!!!!!

Posted

WOW, a mega rise in temps in the last hour and it's around 6c now.A very misty and damp evening.

Massive rise in temperature here too. Over the past hour the temperature has increased by 2 degrees and is currently near 8 if our local weather station can be believed. I think the snow piles from the early December cold spell will be gone by the morning.

Posted

Still cold here, temperature -0.2c.

Posted

Massive rise in temperature here too. Over the past hour the temperature has increased by 2 degrees and is currently near 8 if our local weather station can be believed. I think the snow piles from the early December cold spell will be gone by the morning.

yeah i think most of the snow will of gone here very soon too.More rain by the early hours according to the GFS 18Z.

Lets hope we get another decent cold spell in the next few weeks.

Posted

yeah i think most of the snow will of gone here very soon too.More rain by the early hours according to the GFS 18Z.

Lets hope we get another decent cold spell in the next few weeks.

Me too mate but can't say I'm that confident. I've just looked through my snow pictures from December and feel really depressed now. I would really love to see that amount of snow again before the spring but think that might be asking too much. Really hope the gfs 18z develops the easterly again later on as this would bring quite a bit of snow for most of us in this region. Something like February 1991 would do fine

Posted

Me too mate but can't say I'm that confident. I've just looked through my snow pictures from December and feel really depressed now. I would really love to see that amount of snow again before the spring but think that might be asking too much. Really hope the gfs 18z develops the easterly again later on as this would bring quite a bit of snow for most of us in this region. Something like February 1991 would do fine

Im not confident either and i regularly look back at the snow pics from early december, because the snow depth was just incredible :D If we do get a cold spell i think it will be around the very end of jan/early feb really.

Hopefully the models will start to get very interesting in the coming days, but as for the weekend ive got darts and snooker to watch :D

Posted

Here it comes:

Into better timeframe too;

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

Edited by Morning Glory