Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted

Over the last 6 years or so... The best snow events we have had here have occurred during March/April!

Thinking about it April 2008 was probably the biggest fall of 07/08 too!

Posted

To be honest Fridays low looks rather pointless now, with each run the colder air has got shifted the northwards and the low heads in faster.

Any snow will be gone by Midday.

Posted

Thinking about it April 2008 was probably the biggest fall of 07/08 too!

It was, and IMO the best snowfall in the 11 years I've lived here: a heavy fall early in Sunday morning, clearing to blue skies (only time in 11 years that's happened) with everyone able to enjoy it without any serious inconvenience, and largely gone by Monday morning. Absolutely perfect in every way :)

Posted

Fridays snow looks very light and patchy and sleety, maybe a few 5 minute light snow flurries, but got to agree with Ian Brown, the Atlantic rolls in on Saturday 8th, and will be mild and zonal for the rest of the month, just hope its reasonably dry,

never know feb may offer a bit more winter, but with high sun and longish days any snow wont last long, even if it stays blocked from Atlantic. I had snow on 31st Jan last year, it remained cold, but my snow thawed everywhere due to time of year not the Atlantic

I'd change your 8th prediction if I was you .... The Atlantic may possibly try and move in at the end of next week, but on Saturday the Cold Air rolls in mate !

Rtavn722.png

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Agree about April 2008. I remember waking up to around 5-6 inches of snow, but it had pretty much all melted by the afternoon - just shows how strong the sun is at that time of year.

The best winter snowfall (in terms of depth) in recent years is still Feb 2007. But in terms of a combination of depth, longevity and quality it has to be Jan 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Agree about April 2008. I remember waking up to around 5-6 inches of snow, but it had pretty much all melted by the afternoon - just shows how strong the sun is at that time of year.

The best winter snowfall (in terms of depth) in recent years is still Feb 2007. But in terms of a combination of depth, longevity and quality it has to be Jan 2010.

I'm surprised you had so much in that Feb 2007 event, all we had was about 2-3 inches, the most I have seen here was Feb 2009, we had about 5-6 inches when a band of snow moved up from the South East, I have never seen anything above 5-6 inches here. In December we had about 3-4 inches which was nice to see but it still wasn't the big dumping of snow that I long to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm surprised you had so much in that Feb 2007 event, all we had was about 2-3 inches, the most I have seen here was Feb 2009, we had about 5-6 inches when a band of snow moved up from the South East, I have never seen anything above 5-6 inches here. In December we had about 3-4 inches which was nice to see but it still wasn't the big dumping of snow that I long to see.

Well I only saw half of it. I missed the surprise snowfall on the 9th as I had left for a school trip to Rome, my Dad said we got more than 6", which had thawed slightly by the time Saturday morning came around.

We didn't get much at all in Feb 09. But we got absolutely pasted down in Somerset (on another trip), never seen so much level snow at low altitude, more than 8 inches. Tree branches came crashing down thanks to the weight of the wet snow (also bringing down power lines, leaving us cold and bored...).

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Friday is beginning to look less and less snowy imo now but that doesnt surprise nor bother me.

Notice Bham is now forecast sleet rather than snow on Friday now. Anyone getting excited about Friday should stop so right now! I wouldnt be surprised if ends up as a near or even all rain event.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Where did that forecast come from? Looks way off the mark IMO.

It's mine and it's a 100% accurate as it's based on the NAE :w00t:.

I wasn't going to post it here as the Model is on par with volder**rt, but as your all such a cool bunch I thought why not??

Edited by cheeserice

Posted

I wasn't going to post it here as the Model is on par with volder**rt, but as your all such a cool bunch I thought why not??

Well i'm not going to say your opinion is wrong, I just personally don't agree with that forecast. If i'm wrong then i'll hold my hands up and say I got it wrong :drinks:

Posted

8-9 hours lol ... The only time I have seen ppn over us for that long is either in a streamer or a front get's trapped over us. Would be nice if your chart did come true though ....

In reality a band of light showery Snow during the Early hours of Friday morning, Turning heavy around 9am where a temp covering is likely to happen , by 12pm Rain for most of the Midlands and turning showery for most. As the low moves away , I am keeping my eye on a possible surprise for Saturday that is not currently forecast but where any left over PPN/Showers may well turn back to Snow as the Cold air dig's back in during Saturday. would be hard to put a place on where exactly this may happen.

Posted

Well guys Im really suprised no updates on this thread since last night !

Cant believe its gonna snow tomorrow morning ?! Cant it wait till the afternoon - when Ive finished work , and home safe and sound :wallbash: Or even Saturday.

redditch only showing light snow on MO , but Solihull where i work showing heavy snow for the morning. i can just see the lunchtime chaos if it settles.

Posted

Well guys Im really suprised no updates on this thread since last night !

Cant believe its gonna snow tomorrow morning ?! Cant it wait till the afternoon - when Ive finished work , and home safe and sound :wallbash: Or even Saturday.

redditch only showing light snow on MO , but Solihull where i work showing heavy snow for the morning. i can just see the lunchtime chaos if it settles.

It should be rain by lunchtime i'm afraid , still will be nice to see it falling and can test out the new digital camera .

Latest warning :

East Midlands: Derby Derbyshire Leicester Leicestershire Northamptonshire Nottingham Nottinghamshire RutlandHeavy SnowFri 7 JanAn area of snow spreading slowly northwards will give temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in many areas, but as much as 10 cm over higher ground. The snow will not reach northern England and southern Scotland until after dark, however to the south of these areas, the snow will gradually turn back to rain by evening.

Issued at: 1208 Thu 6 Jan

Posted

Predicting heavy snow for Malvern tomorrow at 6 & 9 am.. followed by rain.

Yeah , your area should be in the heavier ppn as well, enjoy it while it lasts as might be the last you see for a couple of weeks.

Posted

does anyone know how much is forecast for Friday ?. I don't want to get stuck at work.:nonono:

Thats my dilema Chunky. I work near Solihull, but finish at 12:30 on a friday. But it sounds like the snow is going to come in the morning, so I fear Im going to have to have another sickie day :wallbash:

Posted

does anyone know how much is forecast for Friday ?. I don't want to get stuck at work.:nonono:

It shouldn't have time to compact and a Thaw should start around Lunchtime , so I don't think there will be as many problems on the roads as last time . 2-5cm by evening rush hour max that will be left on the roads and we can usually deal with that ...It's also worth remembering we still don't know exactly where the dividing line between Snow and rain will be, it's a wierd situation as we currently have colder air moving South when the switch over happens and it moves back North is anybody's guess .timing wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes its a case of enjoying the snow whilst it falls tomorrow, there could be some heavy snow for a time over the SW and then Central Midlands, weakening as it heads towards Shrops/Staffs/Derbys.

Thats not bad! weakening over Staffs and Shrops! bit better than except staffs and shrops, but I agree with you on the rest of January being mild and Atlantic dominated, just hope its dry

Posted

I'm still VERY surprised the Met-O are saying it will snow for Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire etc... I personally cannot see it. The uppers look way too mild at 0c+, the Met-O also forecast snow for the 27th of December for us, I thought it was a silly forecast and in the end it was an all rain event.

I expect the same this time, would be nice to be wrong about it but i'm a realist about these events.

Posted

Sleet in London city centre at the moment!

Yeah I have been picking up some Snow falling now in the heavier PPN in the South , if this sends some ppn further North as it moves away as msot models suggest some areas in the East Mids may see some Snow showers around 6pm but we will have to see.

Posted

Yeah I have been picking up some Snow falling now in the heavier PPN in the South , if this sends some ppn further North as it moves away as msot models suggest some areas in the East Mids may see some Snow showers around 6pm but we will have to see.

Having just looked at the latest GFS run... I think some areas of the Midlands could see light snow at the VERY start of the band overnight tonight/tomorrow morning, won't amount to anything IMO and it will be the most pointless snow event ever. Even if we get a dusting by 6am... Temps will be up to 6c by lunchtime so it will be absolutely pointless.

Edited by andy_leics22