Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted

See? Mild weather isn't all that bad is it? :D:p

Looks good out there...though we're hardly talking Easter 2007 here!

Shame I'm stuck in with a cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

My thoughts exactly. Out of the wind, it actually feels very nice! :D

8.4c Here. :)

8.4C at 14.31? my temp was 2.0C at that time, was -0.4C at 6pm, now 0.0C

FI fantastic on GFS 12Z, and not an outlier, GFS very good at trends, so maybe a chance of something cold around 19th? of course certainly wont be as cold as Dec, a few runs have shown a fantastic FI

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

8.4C at 14.31? my temp was 2.0C at that time, was -0.4C at 6pm, now 0.0C

FI fantastic on GFS 12Z, and not an outlier, GFS very good at trends, so maybe a chance of something cold around 19th? of course certainly wont be as cold as Dec, a few runs have shown a fantastic FI

Other places around here seem to have managed 5-8c quite well today looking at Wunderground.

Posted

Showers heading east over Wales. However, the mountains are killing them and I don't think conditions are right for anything other than rain anyway.

Very different to the night of the 17th December when they were heading across there....conditions were perfect and if anything the showers intensified as they crossed the mountains. But we were in the middle of a deep cold spell then and on the verge of quite an exciting low pressure that must have been helping those showers that night.

Seems a long time ago now doesn't it?!

Posted

Really surprised at the dip in temps after the snow melted last night.

It was roughly 7.0C at midnight last night and slowly rising. It was then only 3.1C this am. And the temp has hovered around just 2.0C today, and now its below freezing.

The weather seems to have been cold, then a fast but brief warm up to melt the snow, now gone cold again! Very strange.

Posted

Still not been the worst first week of January ever, 7 out of 8 sub zero minimums, 1 decent snow cover, 1 dusting, and today sunny and not that much rain

certainly hope its dry next week, looks like it may be 12C wed-sat, 18Z on the zonal express in mid FI

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

My thoughts exactly. Out of the wind, it actually feels very nice! :D

8.4c Here. :)

You must be have getting all the heat coming out of the shop doorways at Merry Hill. It was barely 4C this afternoon just down the road on Enville Common when me and Mrs Kar were walking the dog.... lovely and sunny for a change though but the pond was still frozen solid :)

Edited by kar999

Posted

So back to normal then , searching into deep FI for a transient ridge just for a 12 hour break in the rain, normal 2000+ even larger teapot feeling with no cold on the way.

although today very sunny and cold, last one though, -1.0C minimum

Wasnt going to post for a week but after my morning walk i just had to come on to report it, its absolutelty gorgeous out there today, clear beautiful blue skies and pleasant sunshine, feels bitter in the wind though and still some frost in the shade, the countryside was very cold this morning before sunset with puddles frozen.

Who in their right mind wants this replaced by dull dreary damp overcast weather is beyond me, i think they need to see a shrink personally, these are the supposed SAD sufferers also.

Posted

Today is a wonderful day, but I'm afraid from tomorrow onwards the Atlantic comes steam-rolling in with a succession of fronts dumping inch after inch of rain.

Posted

Yep, last day of sunny weather...well last day out of 2 anyway!

Look at the weather tab on xcweather...when was the last time you saw the sunshine symbol so widely distributed?

Posted
Posted · Hidden by reef, January 9, 2011 - This does not need to be spammed on every single regional thread!
Hidden by reef, January 9, 2011 - This does not need to be spammed on every single regional thread!

Rob McElwee's last shift is tonight folks - last forecast is at 10.52pm BBC One :( End of an Era.

Posted

So the last moments of winter maybe? bound to have the odd cold frosty few hours but been good, winter 24th Nov 2010 - 09 Jan 2011

similar last year as well the main thrust of winter ended on 15th January, but if we have a repeat of last Feb then that will be great, mainly mild but snow from 18th to 21st

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

So the last moments of winter maybe? bound to have the odd cold frosty few hours but been good, winter 24th Nov 2010 - 09 Jan 2011

similar last year as well the main thrust of winter ended on 15th January, but if we have a repeat of last Feb then that will be great, mainly mild but snow from 18th to 21st

Isn't "the last moments of winter" a little bit pessimistic? Yes, it's the end of this long (mostly) cold spell, but I'm not throwing in the towel for winter as a whole just yet. If by "winter" you mean a month in the freezer as in December then you're almost certainly right, as it's too late for a super-freeze like that to start now,* but we could certainly have a cold week still to come, say like Feb 2009. I've no idea whether we will, but then I doubt anyone picked that week up on 9 Jan!

Incidentally, I stopped off in Clee Hill on the way back from Leominster today, and there's still the odd snow patch in the car park at the top of the village, which is around 375m asl. Quite a bit more left higher up the hill, of course. It felt surprisingly cold up there in the wind, despite the sunshine.

* Unless someone's rebooted 1947...

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted

We could get a second half to winter like 2010, or a 2009, or a 1947, or a 1987,...or even a 1998. Maybe a 2008 when winter came in Spring! (Although personally I'm awaiting a repeat of Easter 2007!)

The only winter I know for sure that we will get will be a 2011!

Was tempted to go up Clee Hill last weekend...along that little road to the summit...but wasn't too sure how well it thaws up there and I don't have a brilliant car for ice! Went to Burlish Top on the Saturday, the Hawkbatch/Trimpley end of the Wyre Forest on the Sunday and Crosby Beach in Merseyside on Sunday for my days out instead!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I never knew Ian Brown changed his display name... :lol: A rather ridiculous comment to make when were not even halfway through winter yet! Deary me!

Posted

Theres always going to be the negativity on this forum, and even when we get the goods as soon as the snows gone the negativity returns :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Did anyone just see the Midlands Today forecast?! That bloke was mad!

Posted

Did anyone just see the Midlands Today forecast?! That bloke was mad!

Yes i seen him he must of been smoking funny fags before going on air but i must admit its funny watching him and fred talbot when he does the central weather now and again

Posted

Yes i seen him he must of been smoking funny fags before going on air but i must admit its funny watching him and fred talbot when he does the central weather now and again

What was his name? Annoyed i missed this as he was a character according to my family. Anyone get him on youtube?

Was it des coleman by any chance?

Edited by azores92

Posted

Didn't see Midlands Today forecast but saw Des Coleman a few weeks ago.

I could not focus on the actual forecast and charts - got totally distracted by him almost bouncing off the screen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Was tempted to go up Clee Hill last weekend...along that little road to the summit...but wasn't too sure how well it thaws up there and I don't have a brilliant car for ice!

The lane up past Dhustone? I haven't been up there this winter, and as I don't drive I can only speak from a passenger's viewpoint, but I suspect that it would be your suspension that would need to be watched just now! It's not the best surfaced road at the best of times, and judging by the state of some of the lanes around Bewdley I'd imagine it must be awful by now. The car park at the summit has been awful for years, so no change there... but, amazingly, the car park I mentioned on the edge of the village (by the cattle grid) has been completely redone and is now quite smooth!

Posted

Didn't see Midlands Today forecast but saw Des Coleman a few weeks ago.

I could not focus on the actual forecast and charts - got totally distracted by him almost bouncing off the screen

That's what you get when you employ an attention whore "celebrity" forecaster although to be fair he livens things up a bit!

Re the "winter's over" comments - the biggest fall here last winter was March and in 2008 April, so don't write it off just yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes, it was Des Coleman, if that's the future of forecasting then I give up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes, it was Des Coleman, if that's the future of forecasting then I give up.

Agree with you on that Nick, the man is meteorologically clueless and always seems to have hip hop playing through his ear piece.

I've contacted the BBC a few times to ask why the people presenting the regional weather aren't trained forecasters ( they certainly used to be ) but the answer is always the same in that they need a combination of 'personality and screen presence'

It would be better if the Met' Office prepared a scripted forecast and it was read out by an announcer rather than have a presenter who knows nothing of meteorology trying to put his own interpretation on a briefing from the Met' Office forecaster.

Des Coleman should stick to singing and doing bits for the One Show