Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Question For Mr_Data

Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hello Mr_Data.

You're obviously the guy to ask for this, so here goes:

What is the latest in the year it has snowed? (not october, november, december, january, february and march) I.E - Has it ever snowed in summer?

Thanks! :D

Posted

Hello Mr_Data.

What is the latest in the year it has snowed? (not october, november, december, january, february and march) I.E - Has it ever snowed in summer?

Thanks! :D

I'm not Mr Data obviously, but I do know that it snowed in Buxton June 1975. A cricket match between Lancashire and Derbyshire being played at the Buxton ground was abandoned for the day on 2nd of June that year I believe due to an inch of snow on the pitch caused by an arctic front moving south. A heatwave followed a few days later!

I mentioned that an inch fell on that date - well it was actually several inches of snow. A rapid thaw did occur (as you might expect at that time of year) and it was an inch which lay on the cricket pitch when play was due to start.

I'm sure this isn't the latest snowfall but as you suggest Mr Data will probably have the answer hopefully!

Posted

I'm not Mr Data obviously, but I do know that it snowed in Buxton June 1975. A cricket match between Lancashire and Derbyshire being played at the Buxton ground was abandoned for the day on 2nd of June that year I believe due to an inch of snow on the pitch caused by an arctic front moving south. A heatwave followed a few days later!

I mentioned that an inch fell on that date - well it was actually several inches of snow. A rapid thaw did occur (as you might expect at that time of year) and it was an inch which lay on the cricket pitch when play was due to start.

I'm sure this isn't the latest snowfall but as you suggest Mr Data will probably have the answer hopefully!

Bloody hell!!

I would of thought there would be minimal cold bottled up in the Arctic in June!

Yikes!

Posted

Bloody hell!!

I would of thought there would be minimal cold bottled up in the Arctic in June!

Yikes!

Hard to believe, I know. Apparently snow fell in East Anglia and London too - probably not settling. Sleet in Portsmouth. The cricket match between Essex and Kent at Colchester was also delayed - temps of 2.0c at midday there on that particular day!

Edited by winterman

Posted

Hard to believe, I know. Apparently snow fell in East Anglia and London too - probably not settling. Sleet in Portsmouth. The cricket match between Essex and Kent at Colchester was also delayed - temps of 2.0c at midday there on that particular day!

2.0C?!

Imagine that type of cold in Winter, that would of been record breaking.

OP - Soft hail, or graupel still needs cold temperatures, so it may of been snow, what do you think? :p

By June 1965 I had left the Met Office and joined the Herts Constabulary. As part of my training I was sent up to RAF Leeming in North Yorks for a continuation course for a fortnight. One day whilst I was there I recall bits of the white stuff floating down out of the sky. It was just a shower and none of it settled but still a shock to the system seeing it snowing so late in the season. I put it down to being in the wild woolly north!

Posted

2.0C?!

Imagine that type of cold in Winter, that would of been record breaking.

OP - Soft hail, or graupel still needs cold temperatures, so it may of been snow, what do you think? :p

June 1975, the temperature eventually rose above double figures at that site it was during the cloud cover and snow showers the temperature remained that low. The record lowest daily maximum for June was actually set on 2nd June in an unlikely year of 1998, Boltshope Park (Country Durham) when it never rose above 5.7c.

From a personal point of view I'd say, it's not often you get soft floating hail at anytime of the year, let alone at night when convection is low. But then again I can't really see where a snow showers would come from at Night in mid August, almost certainly wouldn't be supported by a channel low or some kind of Atlantic batteline. Easterly winds would be very warm at that time of the year, so it must have come from a Northerly. Brisk Northerly airstreams originating from the arctic are rare in August, brisk enough to blow showers inland.

More than likely Philip Eden was right, probably a hail showers with high melt content. Possibly from a strong westerly of some sort.

Posted

Thanks for your responses guys. Would be amazing to see snow in June, although I love hot summers so it wouldn't be ideal. :p

• 8 months later...
Posted

I have been trying to get hold of daily temperature readings

through late January and February 1947 at various stations

(kew gardens). I have managed to find the ones for the

winter of 63 but not 47. I wonder if you may be able to help

please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Re. the original post, snow fell locally near sea level in Scotland and northern England on the 7th June 1985 and the 3rd June 1991, though the only widespread instance in June was the aforementioned 2nd June 1975.

The earliest widespread lowland snowfall across England occurred on the 20th September 1919, though I'm not sure if earlier ones have occurred in Scotland or not.

Posted

Hello Mr_Data.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Other dates besides those mentioned include the13th of June 1791 in NE Scotland, 9th July 1938 in NW Cheshire, something than Bonacina commented on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

As others have said June has been the latest it's ever snowed, not sure if July ever recorded snow on high ground ie mountains.

Posted

As others have said June has been the latest it's ever snowed, not sure if July ever recorded snow on high ground ie mountains.

Without question. July 1888 is the best example. Although it is debatable whether it snowed at low levels in the southern parts of the UK, it most certainly did at higher levels and settled at fairly modest levels in the north.

Edited by Mr_Data

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I too have a question for Mr Data, or any other person that may know the answer:

What is the record number of consecutive days the temperature in London has been below freezing?

( Specifically in recent history, since the last war )

My absolute guess is less than a week, but perhaps I am completley wrong !

Posted

What is the record number of consecutive days the temperature in London has been below freezing?

( Specifically in recent history, since the last war )

My absolute guess is less than a week, but perhaps I am completley wrong !

I think Greenwich was below freezing for a fortnight during February 1947

Posted

Snow lay on the ground throughout this month. Sleet and snow gave 7mm of 'rain' on the 8th, but there were many dry days. It was very dull with no sunshine occurring between the 2nd and 22nd inclusive. Despite the cloud, frost occurred on every night after the 11th and there were 8 consecutive days with continuous frost. On the 17th the maximum temperature was only minus 2.4°C. There were sunny periods during the last week but with severe overnight frosts.

got this by googling-never sure why folk cannot do it for themselves!

not sure how relaible the extract above is

try Trevor Hartley's web page?

Edited by johnholmes

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Snow can fall and even lie in the highest mountains, particularly on the Cairngorm plateau in Summer but is fairly infrequent. Late July and early August are the least likely times. This year snow fell and lay for some days from the 28th August. I think that there was late August snow last year up there too.

I personally have seen early July snow in the Cairngorms on a couple of occasions.