Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Partial Solar Eclipse At Sunrise On 4Th Of January.

Posted

Eclipses nearly always occurs in pairs about a fortnight apart, one is lunar and the other is solar. Very occasionally there is a triplet with two solar and a lunar eclipse within 29 days.

We had the total lunar eclipse on the 21st of December and a partial solar eclipse will be visible on the 4th of January.

The partial solar eclipse will be viewed over most of Europe, north Africa, the Middle East and as far east as parts of India and China.

For most of the the British Isles, the sun will rise in eclipse after the maximum phase has passed and the further north and west you are, the less of the sun will be covered at sunrise.

However maximum phase can be viewed in the SE and East Anglia as it occurs just after sunrise.

75% for London

73% for Birmingham at sunrise at 8.20am

50% for Glasgow at sunrise at 8.49am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I take it from our locale we're having a 'Crescent Sun' tomorrow morning (65 to 70% obscured)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Shame the moon's already buggered off, as the clouds have now dispersed and we have bright sunshine! doh.gif

Posted

Not much likelihood of bright sunshine here today, although we're getting more brightness than was predicted. Reminds me of charging round Caithness in the fog trying to spot the annular eclipse in 2003.

Anyone have any luck with the eclipse?

Posted

I think I was fortunate to have had this 25 minute break in the clouds over the Peak District here. Shame I didnt have any Solar Filters on me, so it was trial and error st the time. Was a rush-job so projection was also out the question, played with GIMP2 to get the best out of it. 09.22am was the time it was taken around,

4Jan2011Eclipse.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Events like these enable you to make a 100% accurate weather forecast - that it will be overcast.

Posted

From Murcia - Spain. The sky was clear.

eclipse.jpg

Do you see the shadow in the east of Europe?

image-15.gif

Edited by lspluis

Posted

Managed a quick break in the clouds this morning about 9.00am and got a nice peak at the sun through a piece of ark welding glass. No photos as the cloud had rolled back by the time I got the camera outside.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Frenchman Thierry Legault an astro-photographer caught this amazing shot of the partial solar eclipse in Oman ...Whats so amazing you ask? Well he actually caught the ISS traveling in front of the sun.!! Quite incredible luck skill as the ISS only took about a second to cross ..!!

post-5386-0-52899100-1294188332_thumb.jp

http://blogs.discove...clipse-picture/

Edited by NL

Posted

Frenchman Thierry Legault an astro-photographer caught this amazing shot of the partial solar eclipse in Oman ...Whats so amazing you ask? Well he actually caught the ISS traveling in front of the sun.!! Quite incredible luck as the ISS only took about a second to cross ..!!

post-5386-0-52899100-1294188332_thumb.jp

http://blogs.discove...clipse-picture/

That same guy also took a picture of the ISS transiting the moon just prior to the lunar eclipse a couple of weeks back:

http://stormedia.info/archives/748

Edited by AderynCoch