Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Strange Bird?

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Has anybody any idea what this is - it does not look like a native species?

post-3118-0-97777300-1293455693_thumb.jp

post-3118-0-52582600-1293455713_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Has anybody any idea what this is - it does not look like a native species?

It looks like a Heron to me - have you got a fish pond ? It's maybe looking for some food as many lakes will be frozen over !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Definately a heron. We have had quite a few around here in the past 10 years, more so since the river through our village has had more management and fish stocks have returned.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Yes, the Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea). Widespread and common; very much a native, and of long standing - unlike, say, its similar, smaller relation the all-white Little Egret, which has turned from a rare visitor to a locally common resident in the last twenty years or so.

As MKS says, the frozen water elsewhere may have tempted it into you garden. It eats fish, amphibians (especially frogs), small mammals, worms, large insects - in fact anything living it can stab or grab with its long, sharp bill. Mainly fish for preference, though.

Posted

Yes, the Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea). Widespread and common; very much a native, and of long standing - unlike, say, its similar, smaller relation the all-white Little Egret, which has turned from a rare visitor to a locally common resident in the last twenty years or so.

As MKS says, the frozen water elsewhere may have tempted it into you garden. It eats fish, amphibians (especially frogs), small mammals, worms, large insects - in fact anything living it can stab or grab with its long, sharp bill. Mainly fish for preference, though.

I saw a Heron eat a Water vole on the brooke outside my house several years ago,it was the last vole i ever saw there !

Posted

Yep, it's a heron. Just to add to it's long and omniverous diet: My partner whilst out walking her dog, saw one take a rabbit and fly off with it.

Thanks for your replies, I have looked at photos and can say that it is identical to a grey heron.

Funny enough we do have a pond in the garden but it is currently frozen over. Years ago we used to have fish in it but they kept disappearing as fast as I stocked it so that now it is just a habitat for frogs and newts. At the time I blamed the local cats. We did have one which would site at the edge of the pond and I am sure it was taking the fish, though the herons probably helped as well. As far as I know I have heard of them in the area and they normally nest by the confluents of the River Colne, River Gade and the Grand Union Canal

Must be a hard time for such birds as herons, since there will not be that much clear water around at the moment, though a thaw has set in.

Posted

Herons do love their fish, but they eat all other small creatures like mice and ducklings. Ugly fliers though, in the air they remind me of a dragon or something out of the Ragnarok story.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Definatley a heron, its probably the same one that tries to eat the fish in my pond!!! dry.gif

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F