Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bird Identification

SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Hi, I don't know if there's any keen birders on the forum, but I came across an unexpected sighting today, something unusual of which I have no idea what it is.

Basically it's a blackbird sized bird, similar habit to a garden bird with a metallic mid blue colour on top with some scarlett sheen mixed in, real strange, never seen anything like it.. any idea?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Posted

Hi, I don't know if there's any keen birders on the forum, but I came across an unexpected sighting today, something unusual of which I have no idea what it is.

Basically it's a blackbird sized bird, similar habit to a garden bird with a metallic mid blue colour on top with some scarlett sheen mixed in, real strange, never seen anything like it.. any idea?

Probably a common grackle

post-435-0-12962700-1293388167_thumb.jpg

Sounds like it could be a Fieldfare. I saw one the other week when I was out walking. They migrate here from East and North East Europe to evade the harsher winters there. Given the current weather they are probably struggling to find food in the woodland / farmland pasture and are visiting gardens in their search for food.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

None of those, I should have said a greeny-blue rather than a dark blue..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

None of those, I should have said a greeny-blue rather than a dark blue..

Hi I think you may find it is called a jay. They fly in the same fashion as the Thrush. They are of a size between a Thrush & a Magpie. They are very shy birds

Posted

Hi I think you may find it is called a jay. They fly in the same fashion as the Thrush. They are of a size between a Thrush & a Magpie. They are very shy birds

Definitely not a Jay, I have Jays in my garden sometimes, this was much much different. I mean I sometimes go and birdwatch at the local hide, so all the local birds I've probably seen there, but this was unusual, normally you don't take it notice.

I found this picture, it's very unlikely to be what I saw, but this is the colour I'm referring to (and the metallic sheen, with a scarlet rump)

Very much this colour and shine: http://www.google.co.uk/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.worthing-photographic.org.uk/blue-eared%2520glossy%2520starling%2520copy.jpg&sa=X&ei=d7EXTZySD8bKjAfY6qD5BQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Hw&usg=AFQjCNGBT_GbMVjA__bbhY0j7kzy9wy0_Q

It wasn't a normal starling though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Hi , we have had 5 or 6 Fieldfare feeding on the berries, not seen them round here before . I think they are a winter visitor to the UK from the Continent but are they common? Cheers ff.