Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Number Of Days With Lying Snow During 2010?

Posted

Amazing figures everyone. 31 days here:

Jan - 10

Nov - 1

Dec - 20

Interesting comparison with Upgrade - the effect of a little more elevation and distance from central London.

Yes - checked my book and there's been 23 days so you've had a week or more snow cover as a result of being just a couple of miles and 50+ metres in altitude within a small part of a city.

It just demonstrates how marginal and localised snow situations can be in this country and partic when you start getting into London and also explains a lot of the fretting that goes on when snow is forecast!

I bet the number of days with snow cover for St James Park in the centre of London are probably less than half mine or yours.

Edited by Upgrade

Posted

Yes - checked my book and there's been 23 days so you've had a week or more snow cover as a result of being just a couple of miles and 50+ metres in altitude within a small part of a city.

It just demonstrates how marginal and localised snow situations can be in this country and partic when you start getting into London and also explains a lot of the fretting that goes on when snow is forecast!

I bet the number of days with snow cover for St James Park in the centre of London are probably less than half mine or yours.

It's what makes the British weather so fascinating isn't it - we are so often at the margins...

I would be interested to know Yamkin's figures - as he's further south (Croydon) - and possibly higher too. There's also a regular poster from Biggin Hill - I'm sorry, I forget their name - but I'd imagine he or she would have approaching 50 days lying snow this year.

Posted

All that remains here now is the compacted ice from the first dumping of snow in late-November. All new snow has now thawed.

It looks likely the final total here will be 43 days of snow lying.

Jan: 12 days

Feb: 1 days

Nov: 6 days

Dec: 24 days

Annual: 43 days (next highest is 1995 with 13 days!)

Snow falling:

Jan: 12 days

Feb: 11 days

Mar: 1 days

May: 1 days

Nov: 7 days

Dec: 13 days

Annual: 45 days

Whats more impressive is that Jan, Nov, Dec and the year as a whole are all the snowiest I have on record (since 1987) for both snow lying and falling. Not bad for so many records to fall in one year.

Posted

I have not got an accurate record but I would calculate snow lying days here would be January-16

February 2

November 7

Up to today December24

Giving an approximate total of 49 days-it is some time since I achieved that figure and with snow cover persisting we will certainly make 50.

Perhaps TWS can check as tothe norm for my area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The 1971-2000 average for Cleadon is approximately 11 days per year. In Ponteland it is probably nearer 15.

Posted

The figures for the last 20 (calendar) years here read: 8,0,1,6,13,18,8,2,1,4,5,5,1,7,4,5,3,0,9,42.

Average of 7.1

Take out 2010 and the previous 19 year average (1991-2009) is 5.2

For the 10 years 1999-2008 it is only 3.5- precisely one twelfth of the 2010 figure.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

I'm not classing today as a snow cover day as there is only about a 20% cover on the most sheltered parts in the area. Yesterday however was the 34th of the year.

Posted

Well, we've made 52 days this year! 52!

Since (and including) 2004... 17, 19, 6, 3, 8, 24, 52.

So the 7 year snow average is 18.4 days lying. What this year has done is replenished the snow cover days to just above the 71-00 average for Durham which is 16.

Taking away this year, and my 6 year average was 12.8 days, obviously below the long term mean.

2004 and 2005 were surprisingly snowy considering they weren't cold!

2006 and 2007 were barren - in 2006 no snow at all was recorded lying in January, February or December, the 6 days cover for the year all occurring in March after 3 hellish months watching models.

2007, again no snow in January! So two Januarys in a row with no lying snow and what did fall, 2 days in February and 1 in March were dustings with unmeasurable depth. Quite literally, 2007 was only millimetres away from being a completely snowless year - this certainly was the point where you're losing faith in winter and believed it had been lost forever.

Just a note about 2009, January came in pretty cold at 3.4º, below average, yet only 1 snow lying day was recorded.

How many January months have we missed snow only for the snow we did get to fall at the end of February and through March? I always complained that was too late for lying snow to persist and that we needed to get some snow within a month of the solstice. Thankfully December 09, January 10, and then November 10 and December 10 have obliged!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I'm not classing today as a snow cover day as there is only about a 20% cover on the most sheltered parts in the area. Yesterday however was the 34th of the year.

What is the definition ? 50%

We have about 10% left here, for a southerner that counts. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Today takes me up to 52 which is the highest this near the coast since 1963. :lol:

87 now at my mum's inland in Highland Perthshire takes them well above 1979's 70.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Today was not a lying snow day, so the total for 2010 is an exceptional 46 days of lying snow - yesterday just scraped a lying snow day with an 80% covering of ice, yet by late afternoon it was more like 20%. Around an 8th of the year with lying snow!