Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Number Of Days With Lying Snow During 2010?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

59 here this year up to this morning. This equals the annual total in 1986 and is second only to 1979, which will not be beaten this year as it recorded 79 mornings with lying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

As per my signature, 28 days this year so far with another likely tommorow, I base it on 50% of snow still lying at 9am.

Posted

Now onto the 40th day today which is the most Ive ever recorded and quite remarkable when you consider the 1971-2000 average is just 7 days:

Jan: 12

Feb: 1

Nov: 6

Dec: 21 (to the 25th)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Here in Cleadon, annual "days of snow lying" totals in the 10-15 day bracket have been fairly common in records going back to 1993 (1993 14, 1995 13, 1996 14, 2001 11, 2004 10, 2009 15) and the 1971-2000 mean is 11 days, but no year has exceeded last year's high of 15 days.

In contrast this year is already on 40 such days and counting, which is staggering. 15 of those days were in January here, 2 in February, 6 in November, and 17 in December.

Posted

About 20 here, which is similar to my 2009 total and also similar to my entire 1992-2008 total

edit: 8 years of the 92-08 period spent in Central London where the only snow event that left laying snow was the thundersnow event of 2004 and the frontal snow event of Feb 2008 (3 days total)

Edited by Stu_London

Posted

In total 34 mornings.

Jan 2010- Only 8, we lost our cover at New Year and didn't have fresh cover again until the 5th, we also saw a thaw on the 10th.

Feb - a very poor 2 mornings. We escaped the snow showers from the easterly winds.

Mar - None surprisingly, though many days in the first half of the month saw maxes only 5 degrees.

Nov - 4

Dec - 20 so far (tomorrow will make it 21, and we may just scrape another on wed but will depend on how rapid the thaw is..), 22 would be very impressive on a par with 1981.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

28 days in 2010 with total snow cover. 10 days in jan,4 in nov and 14 in dec. For a few yrs i was lucky to get even one day of total snow cover so to get 28 is very good for my location hopefully i get just as much in 2011.

Posted

Ionawr / January 22

Chwefror / February 5

Mawrth / March 1

Tachwed / November 5

Rhagfyr / December 19

Cyfanswm / Total = 52

Posted

Now on 42 days- since 1988 the next highest in a calendar year is 18 in 1996.

Two years had no days with lying snow at all (1992 and 2008) and two more just one (1993 and 1999). Most years were between 3 and 10 days, this year's might be the highest since 1963? (Jan and Feb 1981 weren't snowy, nor were the Decembers during those otherwise cold mid-80s winters).

Posted

Around 18 as of yesterday the 27 th, but sadly today all as thawed and gone with the rain. Keeping fingers crossed for more but very much doubt it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I have had 33 days with 10 of those this month, not sure next year will beat it as this is one of if not the snowiest year i can remember since i've lived here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cleadon is up to 43 days but the snow depth has reduced from 9cm yesterday morning to 4cm this morning so I expect that cover will drop below 50% by 9am tomorrow. 43 days may well be the highest annual total at this location since either 1979 or 1963.

Ionawr / January 22

Chwefror / February 5

Mawrth / March 1

Tachwed / November 5

Rhagfyr / December 19

Cyfanswm / Total = 52

Show off :clap:

For Me (Met Office Snow Days)

January 15

February 2

December 11

Giving a total of 28. It could have been more but we narrowly missed out on snow Late Nov/ Early Dec this year, which could easily have given 5-6 days more.

apart From 2009, which had 12, no other year since 1998 has had more than 4 Met Office Snow Days. 2002 and 2008 were both 0.

Posted

I've had 23 days with snow cover in 2010 which is astonishing for fairly inner suburban (6 miles from centre) London.

More than the previous 13 years combined!

Edited by Upgrade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

For me in Dundee:

Jan - 13

Feb - 2

Nov - 6

Dec - 29 [so far].

Total = 50.

For my home area in Perthshire it was greater as they had heavy snow that lay for weeks from late February.

Jan: 25

Feb: 8

Mar: 19

Nov: 6

Dec 27

Total = 85.

Speyside had even more with the late March snowfall lying for some time so must be well over 100 there. Some time since that has happened I would imagine.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

We've had lying snow since 30thNovember and it's just about keeping itself together here. Still showing ion the lawn and the mountains behind even though theyre not visible because of this pea soup

Posted

Amazing figures everyone. 31 days here:

Jan - 10

Nov - 1

Dec - 20

Interesting comparison with Upgrade - the effect of a little more elevation and distance from central London.

Posted

Surprisingly slow thaw last night so Cleadon is now on 44 days, though with the temperature now up at 4.7C I'll be very surprised if we manage a 45th.

Posted

90% gone, so probably going to be stuck on an impressive 42. December's 21 days equals the whole of the previous snowiest winter since 1988 (1995/96).

What's helped this year is the duration of the snowcover; we have had 3 separate instances this year of snow being on the ground for 10 days or more. (6-15 Jan, 27 Nov-9 Dec and 17-28 Dec). And, despite that really disappointing February which had so much sleet and non-sticking snow, we've actually had more days with snow lying this year than falling (36).