Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest City In Western Europe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I realise I maybe barking up the wrong tree, and that someone could well be along to correct me soon, but I want to throw this out there.

For the past week, Glasgow has been perishingly cold. We have now not only had an ice week, but the temperatures I don't think have got above around -5 for several days now, and frequently below -11 at night. Currently at approach 22:00 on Xmas eve, Glasgow Airport is reporting -12, which is quite typical for this cold spell. It is truly incredible. I have friends who have come up from London who don't know what has just hit them.

So, has Glasgow recently been the coldest city not only in Britain, but across Western Europe during the past week or two?!

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I'd imagine Stirling is pretty cold. And Edinburgh. And Aberdeen?

Strasbourg and most of Germany has been very cold because it's so far inland.

I'd agree with saying that Glasgow has been the coldest in Britain, but I don't know about West Europe because of Central Germany and North East France.

Posted

Also without trying to put a dampner of it. Cardiff City has been recording daytime max at around -5/-5 for the last 4 days and night time temps of -10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Certainly somewhere in Scandinavia must be favourite, i know Goteborg (Gothenburg)has been averaging daytime max's of -10 to -14c this last week and that is a city in the SW which is normally wetter/warmer than the rest of Sweden..check out this link for todays 24hr temps < Gothenburg

Edited by Spurry

Very cold all over the western and the northern parts of the continent!

I can only speak for the present and previous conditions which have been here in Stockholm, and some days ago

we experienced maybe the coldest day I have ever seen in my life so far. To this day we are some 6-7°c below the

normal for the month, and the 22nd the international airport in Stockholm, Arlanda, had a maxima of -20°c, and a

minima of -25°c! And Bromma the central city airport was respectively at -14°c and -21°c.

That was truly extreme! Temperatures that are even near -10°c such early in winter are not common, especially not

in December! I wonder when we will again see temperatures that are near -20°c again mid day! :o

Posted

Here's a map I nicked from elsewhere (I think it's from some US weather channel). The temperatures are in Fahrenheit by the way:

post-10576-0-47025300-1293232062_thumb.p

Interesting to see Glasgow with a larger anomaly than more continental areas.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Yep so I was barking up the wrong tree....

When I was originally considering it I wasn't really including Scandinavia as part of Western Europe, but i you do that then you're really making up the criteria to suit the argument. ie. Glasgow is the coldest city in Western Scotland or something daft.

Anyway, it's been bloody freezing here this week (no idea Cardiff was the same btw - now I know good.gif) and long may it continue, only it probably wont because it's already -5 and some local sites have been reporting freezing rain this morning...