Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January CET

Posted

As a new year dawns, I'll join in on a regular basis now, if I may!

I'll plump for a nice and tidy 1.0c please.

Ta very much. :smiliz34:

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

2.3C please.

Looking like a blocked, quiet but below average start due to the so-called 'faux cold' (below average for one of the coldest times of year = cold) unless North Sea low cloud scuppers the chances of inversion. The possible SSW could throw a spanner in the works for the middle half of the month and make it notably colder than what I'm predicting, while I think it will turn milder and more unsettled for the last week. Obviously absolute guesswork (as I suppose everyone else's is) it should be noted though.

In these post-modern winters it seems the synoptics for an above 3C month have to be just right. We almost managed it in February but fell just short. You have to wonder if we'll ever see one again....

I think we will fall just short of the milestone at 2.8C

Love this. :lol:

Edited by Kentish Kiwi

Posted

It's going to stay cold, Mrs Bs hands are still cracked and sore as they have been since nov so -0.7c is my guess :smiliz19:

Edited by BARRY

Posted

2,9c please :) . High pressure close by leading to a cold and settled month. A possible Northerly during the first half with the models still indicating the potential for further height rises over Greenland. We also have a possible stratospheric warming event which will help.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

1.9 for me please. I believe we may have a milder beginning to the month and anexceptionally cold spell, but the last few days of January returning to average temperatures for the first time since mid November for some folks.

Not being a weather expert by any means it will be interesting to see how close I am with my punt for the month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

2.6c for me please although id like to be way off the mark and get a very cold january afterall it is meant to be the coldest month of the year! :w00t:

Posted

Worth noting is how we're now onto the 1981-2010 average which is 4.4C (though no doubt the MetOffice will still continue to use the more and more irrelevent 1961-90 one!).

Im going for a slightly cooler than average month:

3.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

1.9C please :D!! A cool-cold month but no where near as bad as December but prehaps turning very cold for short snaps paticulary towards the end of the month with only brief milder spells mainly only seen for any length of time in the South and West at the start of the month. Coldest always to the East closer to the continental cold. :cold:

Posted

Very tough call but can't see it being particularly mild.

Expect the cold SST's to play a part and general tendency for a blocked scenario with no sustained atlantic spell. With this in mind I will estimate 2.6 degrees. I think we will see one notable cold spell perhaps lasting upwards of a week this most likely in the middle of the month, but generally lots of chilly dry cloudy weather. Could be a sharp cold set up at the end of the month. So lots of interest for cold lovers but nothing as sustained in terms of severe weather like this month, but this isn't to say we won't see similiar temps of levels of snow as in Dec, just less likely to be as sustained.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Are the 81-10 averages available to view anywhere?

Philip Eden has the Manley figures here, although there are slight differences between those and the Hadley averages:

http://www.climate-uk.com/provisional.htm

I am going for 3.2C CET for now- I can see this month being rather more "normal" but I think we'll get at least one or two cold shots from the north and I don't foresee anything especially mild on the horizon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I dont really forsee a sudden switcharound to mild and windy. Rather i expect the settled/dry and rather cold theme to continue with some night frosts.Overall a below average month CET wise.

3.0C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

2.5C, cold dry start to the month, proper cold shot mid month with a slightly milder end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I'll have a guess of 1.4C in the hope it will be another cold month!!

Posted

A lack of significant cold pooling will moderate any cold shots early in the month.

I dont really see any big atlantic comeback either and slack periods will see the SSTs come into play

2.7C for me.

Edited by Stu_London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Lets take an optimistic gamble and go for 0.6C :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

0.1c but will probably be changed nearer to January.

I'll up this to 1.2c but this is my final change for the guess this month.