Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Looking like anywhere could possibly get a dusting over the next 24 hours (although favouring the east) according to the MetO latest forecast:

This Evening and Tonight:

Many parts dry overnight but very cold with frost and icy surfaces coupled with strengthening northeasterly winds. A few sleet or snow showers will continue to feed into coastal areas, a few getting further inland, but these mostly quite fleeting. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Thursday:

Many parts dry but mostly cloudy and feeling very cold in strong northeasterly winds. Across the far southeast, further wintry showers are likely at times, mostly of snow inland. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Just to back up my earlier post and my outsanding question: Now snowing moderatly in Felixstowe!!

Nick

It's really strange; still nothing on the radar!

It is also notable how much snow Felixstowe have had compared to Ipswich both last weekend and last winter; when I used to work in Felixstowe a few years back it hardly ever snowed and it was Ipswich that got it all. Now the boot seems to be on the other foot; perhaps not to the same extent, as we have had plenty here still but not the same depths!

Edited by Chalk Serpent

Posted

looking at the bbc weather at 6 looks like blizzards are the order of the day for friday ,with snow showers for thuresday :cold::cold::cold::cold:

Edited by tinybill

Posted

How large an area did this affect?

Well, it was as low as 5 miles south of MK, as we got another 3 inches here this morning, and they 4 inches up in Leicester, so quiet a wide band.

Posted

Totally agree with you CS.

I've only lived this way since sept last year and previous to that Waldringfield not too far from here but slightly more in land.

Winters of my youth had the scenario of the further away from the coast the more snow you had (guess the warm sea effect and not significantly cold upper temp), backed up with the fact I went to Kesgrave school. One occasion in the mid/late nineties I remember a friend living in Felixstowe having more snow though!!!

Dec snow event last year followed this trend with the further I drove along the A14, the more snow.

Then as you say Jan this year (30cm) and now this weekend 25cm has turned things on its head!!

I even considered the thought of having to move away from the coast after the Dec event last year lol!!!

Nick

Posted

I think after all the recent will it/won't it and then just misses I have wasted enough time looking at radars and weather forecasts

Time for Christmas now and back to the old days of seeing what its like out when I draw the curtains in the morning

Personally feel its time for a warm up especially for the wildlife who suffer terribly in this harsh cold, sure i'm not alone (or maybe I am)

Good luck to those who want more snow and those who need to travel as well, hope everyone has a good festive period, see you again in the new year

Cheers for now from a mainly snowless St Ives

Rich

Rich, you will be back here the next time the beeb mention snow, the weather, specifically snow, is an obsession for many, which is why we are all here now, but the forum dies in the spring!!

Seasons Greetings for now, unless you pop in to take a look at what may occur on Friday!! smiliz34.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

looking at the bbc weather at 6 looks like blizzards are the order of the day for friday ,with snow showers for thuresday :cold::cold::cold::cold:

Is that for the entire Thread TB.cc_confused.gif

Posted

I'll believe it when I see it Friday tbh first of all it was Thursday last week, then Saturday then Tuesday then today and now it's Friday.

Ok so vast swathes of the country have seen a lot of snow but all of those opportunities and not enough to do owt with here so I shall reserve judgement on Friday as a Nowcast situation

Posted

Just driving home chief met man said hes seriously worried about the amount of snow the east UK will receive xmas eve and severe travel disruption it will cause.

Posted

Just driving home chief met man said hes seriously worried about the amount of snow the east UK will receive xmas eve and severe travel disruption it will cause.

Thats very intriguing, as i'd have thought it would have been tomorrow that looked the more likely to produce snow

Which station was he on out of interest?

SK

Posted

Thats very intriguing, as i'd have thought it would have been tomorrow that looked the more likely to produce snow

Which station was he on out of interest?

SK

Radio 2 also was mentioned on TV this morning that they were watching the heavy snow developing over France.

Posted

Radio 2 also was mentioned on TV this morning that they were watching the heavy snow developing over France.

But is that not aimed at kent etc on the south east corner. Sooo confused i have heard south east,and the east,far south east corner,also dry and fine. I must admit to looking at uk and europe radar 24 hours advance,grid ppn. cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters,Cool summers

Well the latest forecasts on the BBC are showing the snow not evem reaching the south east of England!

Posted

I wouldn't get your hopes up yet with regards to the snow on xmas eve, day. The reason the Met O mentioned this is because the 0Z UKMO had heavy snow for the SE and extreme SE parts of E Anglia. However the 12Z UKMO has backed away from this.

At the moment if anything the risk of snow is towards the NE instead.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/22/basis12/ukuk/prty/10122406_2212.gif

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/22/basis12/ukuk/prty/10122412_2212.gif

Still this could change. We still have some uncertainity with the LP over France. However if this did bring snow then only likely for the SE in my opinion. For this to affect the whole of the region would require quiet a shift NW of the LP system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Yep, BBC showed HP in charge by Friday so no snow over the weekend according to that forcast.

Showers tomorrow though.

Posted

Could someone explain to me why so many people on this forum have a snow fetish?

Because thats what the regional threads are for. whistling.gif

Posted

I wouldn't get your hopes up yet with regards to the snow on xmas eve, day. The reason the Met O mentioned this is because the 0Z UKMO had heavy snow for the SE and extreme SE parts of E Anglia. However the 12Z UKMO has backed away from this.

At the moment if anything the risk of snow is towards the NE instead.

http://expert.weathe...122406_2212.gif

http://expert.weathe...122412_2212.gif

Still this could change. We still have some uncertainity with the LP over France. However if this did bring snow then only likely for the SE in my opinion. For this to affect the whole of the region would require quiet a shift NW of the LP system.

I heard the interview live after 6pm he seemed pretty certain in his view spreading up from the seast x mas eve,Don'T shoot the messenger lol.

Posted

well this cold spell just been one big let down here on norfolk coast!!! what little snow we got last thurs night got washed away today by rain!! which was surposed to be snow what a joke so cant believe we will get any more now lol

Posted

I really wouldn't expect much snow from now on in...it looks like staying over the near continent. The 18z NAE also suggests this: http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/22/basis18/ukuk/rsum/10122418_2218.gif

well this cold spell just been one big let down here on norfolk coast!!! what little snow we got last thurs night got washed away today by rain!! which was surposed to be snow what a joke so cant believe we will get any more now lol

Forgive me for asking, but are you from Beccles? I ask because Beccles isn't really on the coast, and it certainly isn't in Norfolk as your location says! :smiliz19:

Posted

Found this but most have probably read it, No change at the mo.smiliz19.gif

Freezing conditions continue up to Christmas

22 December 2010 - The freezing weather will continue as Christmas approaches with severe frosts across the UK, and heavy snow in some areas continuing to give disruption to travel networks.

Snow showers will continue to affect parts of the north and east of Britain tonight and through Thursday and may become heavy and frequent across parts of East Anglia and southeast England.

Met Office Chief Forecaster, Tim Hewson said: "Although the risk of widespread snow has decreased, a few eastern areas could see a further 10cm of fresh snow in places by the end of Thursday. Meanwhile, widespread ice and freezing temperatures will lead to slippery conditions on some roads and pavements over most parts of the UK."

The run up to Christmas and the big day itself are expected to see a respite from fresh snowfall. However, there will be some severe frosts and freezing fog at night. While there will still be snow lying on Christmas Day, the day itself is expected to be dry and fine in most parts of the UK. At this stage, the only places that might see snow showers on Christmas Day are coastal parts east and northeast England, East Anglia and Kent.

Edited by silver line

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

my fiance is a lorry driver working nights and he has just text to say that they have had heavy snow about 6 inches fallen in Bedford and that they have had drivers stranded and lorries not able to get in..

I have only just come on here tonight and not had chance to read through so apologies now if I am repeating things already said.

That said I was under the impression from what I heard last night and this morning that it was all further north

and the first thing I have done is look on the radar and it shows nothing for this area of the country at all going back over last few hours

Edited by Hearts in Herts