Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted

What a day…..I left Milton Keynes at 8.30 am this morningfor an appointment in Stevenage, very lightgrauple falling, by the time I got to the A421 it was falling as large flakesvery heavily. Radar showed on a small blob of precip!

By the time I passed Bedford,it stopped snowing, the rest of the journey was fine, just very slow on the 421and A1, Stevenage had some light snow at 10.30by the time I arrived. left at 12.00 to return home.............

Everything was fine on A421 until 5 miles passed Bedford,when the snow started again and clear to see 3-4 inches had fallen of the 5-6from Sat, Then, Queuing traffic......A421 closed by police due to accident, wewere ushered off to the old 421, which was backed up all the way to M1 due tojack knife lorry on slip road of M1.

I took the back road through Cranfield, roads were completelycovered white, 4 inch covering, still snowing lightly….Just outside of Cranfield,2 car accident, road closed, ambulance, police.....had to wait over an hour forrecovery vehicle, which was sliding everywhere.

Eventually home at 15.00!!

In the virgin snow areas, prob about 8 inches laying, as thefresh snow is wetter and pressed down on the 6.5 inches that fell on sat.All roadsin MK are a nightmare, Ive seen a couple of snow plough sorting out the H's andV's, big snow troughs on all other roads, cars abandoned all over

Should have stayed at home and radar watched, appointmentwas a waste on time!!

More precip heading this way if it does not fizzle outbefore, looks like a laying white xmas in MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

2C, cold northeast wind, rain. What a lovely day! :lol:

Snow here for the last hour, some moderate - a light covering over everywhere that didnt still have snow.......yet radar has the band quite a long way north of here?!?

Posted

Snow here for the last hour, some moderate - a light covering over everywhere that didnt still have snow.......yet radar has the band quite a long way north of here?!?

where abouts are you fella?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Pleased to see the membership of the 'no snow club' continues to dwindle :smiliz19:

Also happy to report that the main grid roads in MK seem to be clearing now in time for those at work to make the journey home...the side roads are not so good though so please be careful and stay safe !

There's no doubt that owning a 4x4 helps when it comes to tackling snow and ice on the road. But as this video proves, it's not a guarantee.

Captured in Washington, US, the footage shows an extraordinary pile-up as a number of doomed 4x4s and pickup trucks, unable to break on the slippery surface, slowly slide into each other.

[EDIT] It was only the 4x4's that were doomed no one was hurt during this video !

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Glad you made it back Dan! Was trying to call you to warn re the A421! That band is dying a death now. BBC getting twitchy about how close that low in the continent is going to come tommorow night/ Fri Could get a payout on my white xmas bet for London! Only 1 flake needed in 24 hrs! Don't we need to be in Basildon for a meeting on Friday lol!

Posted

I don't take an awful lot of notice of the radar over East Anglia nowadays to be honest, so many times it rains when there's nothing showing over my area, or it rains harder than what is being shown. Paul told me there was going to be an upgrade to the radar covering East Anglia last year, but this doesn't seem to have happened because the radar coverage for this area is quite frankly abysmal.

Posted

Started to snow again in MK

Enough now......be careful what you wish for.................whistling.gif

Beat me to it Dan !!

Pleased you made it back to MK safely - sounds like a nightmare journey the A421 is always bad in both directions from here ! Maybe work from home tomorrow if you can :smiliz21:

Posted

where abouts are you fella?

Near Loddon

I don't take an awful lot of notice of the radar over East Anglia nowadays to be honest, so many times it rains when there's nothing showing over my area, or it rains harder than what is being shown. Paul told me there was going to be an upgrade to the radar covering East Anglia last year, but this doesn't seem to have happened because the radar coverage for this area is quite frankly abysmal.

You're right - sometimes it seems accurate , then sometimes not - very frustrating! Certainly wouldn't pay for one!!! lol

ps orange warning gone now for norfolk - yet seems more snow around now than when the warning was on earlier?!

Posted

i put this in the london thread as well

well if this comes off there wont be much moving kent to norfolk

Beat me to it Dan !!

Pleased you made it back to MK safely - sounds like a nightmare journey the A421 is always bad in both directions from here ! Maybe work from home tomorrow if you can :smiliz21:

The new A421 (don't think they have moved the road name yet) seems to have major problems with the hill at Brogborough. I understand that the incline is less steep than the old road however it goes on for longer and that's where in this weather lorries are having problems going up and over it. I think there was a discussion on BBC radio last week before the snow when it was very icy so I wonder if the new tarmac needs time to get worn in and every since it was opened we have had snow and ice. Earlier today every hill out of bedford had an accident on it and was closed, the only way in MK was on the A422.

Back to the weather, the snow has stopped here and I can see blue sky from the office window, get ready for me walk home now :smiliz19:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well meto have really taken the orange of now.:smiliz57:

Posted

Beat me to it Dan !!

Working from home tomorrow and Friday, then off until the 5th Jan.......Wahooyahoo.gif

Posted

Glad you made it back Dan! Was trying to call you to warn re the A421! That band is dying a death now. BBC getting twitchy about how close that low in the continent is going to come tommorow night/ Fri Could get a payout on my white xmas bet for London! Only 1 flake needed in 24 hrs! Don't we need to be in Basildon for a meeting on Friday lol!

My phone went flat,, cause of all the chat we had whilst I was on my way down this morning, charger was in my bag, which I did not take!! dohwallbash.gif

Good job I did not have an emergencyhelp.gif

Posted

boyfriend just went outside to put bins out came back in and said it is cold outside but not bitter and wet in the air like drizzle but it isnt snow.

Posted

More of a thaw today, but I would expect it to really slow down as the cold air is coming back tonight/tomorrow (I think!) The family are meant to be travelling to Milton Keynes for Xmas, and I am suppose to drive up there on Christmas Eve. I fear my biggest problem will be the estates!

Posted
I fear my biggest problem will be the estates!

You are correct.

The snow just gets compacted and then refreezes overnight, it took ages for it to fully clear on my estate when it snowed the last time.

Posted

The new A421 seems to have major problems with the hill at Brogborough. I understand that the incline is less steep than the old road however it goes on for longer and that's where in this weather lorries are having problems going up and over it. I think there was a discussion on BBC radio last week before the snow when it was very icy so I wonder if the new tarmac needs time to get worn in and every since it was opened we have had snow and ice. Earlier today every hill out of bedford had an accident on it and was closed, the only way in MK was on the A422.

Back to the weather, the snow has stopped here and I can see blue sky from the office window, get ready for me walk home now

I went up the new bit of the A421 a couple of weeks ago to Marston Moretaine, I couldn't believe how high the road is at Brogborough now - you get a lovely view of the lake though !!

Yep, snow stopped here too, temperature -0.5 °C , wind chill -4 °C and dew point -1 °C all slightly down from earlier, also the wind has picked up from 8.0 km/h to 11.3 km/h and changed from NNE to ENE.

Posted

The radar is just garbage and bears no resemblence to reality at all tbh

You get snow? or stay as rain?

Up your way for new year :)