Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow In Austrailia

Rollo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

I understand snow in 3 states so not just an isolated area. Remarkable really for this time of year down under.

Posted
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m

Blue Mountains:The highest point of the range is 1190 metres above sea level.

http://en.wikipedia....ew_South_Wales)

So, 11 inches of snow are possible in the winter (for Southern Hemisphere) and not unusual in summer.

Edited by Konstantinos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

December for down under=mid summer for them

Actually for them its still only the begining of summer as summer starts on the 1st december.

its not winter here untill tommorow!

if mountain is in the sentence then anythings possible really! but the blue mountains are in new south wales giving them a more cooler climate then the north regions but still pretty weird.

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

Actually for them its still only the begining of summer as summer starts on the 1st december.

its not winter here untill tommorow!

if mountain is in the sentence then anythings possible really! but the blue mountains are in new south wales giving them a more cooler climate then the north regions but still pretty weird.

the 21 December here equates to 21 June there, to be pedantic=3 weeks into their summer!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

"At Katoomba (1,010 m) summer daytime temperatures are usually in the 20s with a few days extending into the 30s (Celsius). Night-time temperatures are usually in the teens. During the winter the temperature is typically around 12 to 13°C in the daytime with −3°C or so on clear nights and 2 to 3°C on cloudy nights. There are two to three snowfalls per year. In the lower mountains, however, the climate is significantly warmer."

So that's very exceptional. An equivalent would be the far south of England, which has a similar summer climate going by that description, having snow on 20th June.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katoomba,_New_South_Wales#Climate

Posted

If you think December is their equivalent of June - well we all know how up and down June can be in England as you're not totally into the summer, it can be boiling hot or a week of 12º. Well it's the same there except a few degrees warmer. But you'd still expect patches of cool days in between hot days that you maybe wouldn't see in January and February - say maxes in the high teens. That would be cool enough at 4-5,000ft to see occasional snow during the night etc.

Edited by paul tall

Posted

If you think December is their equivalent of June - well we all know how up and down June can be in England as you're not totally into the summer, it can be boiling hot or a week of 12º. Well it's the same there except a few degrees warmer. But you'd still expect patches of cool days in between hot days that you maybe wouldn't see in January and February - say maxes in the high teens. That would be cool enough at 4-5,000ft to see occasional snow during the night etc.

That wasn't the point - it's that their December at that altitude is equivalent to our June in the lowland South of England, where April is the latest you could possibly get snow here. June is simply unheard of.

Posted

That wasn't the point - it's that their December at that altitude is equivalent to our June in the lowland South of England, where April is the latest you could possibly get snow here. June is simply unheard of.

The average max at Perisher Blue ski resort, NSW, altitude 5,000ft, is 15.8, and the average min is 3.8 - that's equivalent to Buxton, where incidentally it has snowed in June - but with colder nights than Buxton.

Sure snow should be and is rare, but certainly early morning during a nasty cold plunge I wouldn't rule it out...well, i don't need to of course because it's happened (twice in recent years)

Posted

The average max at Perisher Blue ski resort, NSW, altitude 5,000ft, is 15.8, and the average min is 3.8 - that's equivalent to Buxton, where incidentally it has snowed in June - but with colder nights than Buxton.

Sure snow should be and is rare, but certainly early morning during a nasty cold plunge I wouldn't rule it out...well, i don't need to of course because it's happened (twice in recent years)

And you missed my point. He was comparing Katoomba specifically, which in June (their winter) has a mean high of 19 and a mean low of 10. Exactly the same, as it happens, as Bournemouth in June. Mountain tops, yes, but nowhere under 1000m. Let's at least be consistent.

To be fair, it is rare, but more common than one might imagine. More common than snow in June in Buxton, I would imagine. http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-12-australia-swaps-summer-christmas.html

"It's not uncommon to get a dusting of snow along the higher peaks of New South Wales and Victoria every couple of years (at this time)," Bureau of Meteorology climatologist Grant Beard told AFP.

And here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/8213932/Wintry-weather-brings-snow-to-Australia-in-midsummer.html

Posted

He was comparing Katoomba specifically, which in June (their winter) has a mean high of 19 and a mean low of 10. Exactly the same, as it happens, as Bournemouth in June.

Yeah but comparing Katoomba is irrelevant as it didn't snow in Katoomba did it? I compared a more relevant location as the snow fell on the highest elevations, not at Katoomba's altitude.

The article you linked to refers to snow on Mount Hotham and in the Charlotte Pass - both areas have ski villages at elevations of around 1,750m or nearly 6,000ft - I find no references to snow falling at <1,100m in the Blue Mountains anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Pass

Edited by paul tall

Posted

Yeah but comparing Katoomba is irrelevant as it didn't snow in Katoomba did it? I compared a more relevant location as the snow fell on the highest elevations, not at Katoomba's altitude.

The article you linked to refers to snow on Mount Hotham and in the Charlotte Pass - both areas have ski villages at elevations of around 1,750m or nearly 6,000ft - I find no references to snow falling at <1,100m in the Blue Mountains anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia..../Charlotte_Pass

I think there may have been some snowfall in Katoomba, at least that is what my parents told me yesterday and they live in Western Sydney. Katoomba is in the Blue Mountains which are just west of Sydney, about 1-1.5hrs drive. It has been known to snow up there, in fact I was there in September/October and we experienced some sleet.

But the current snow falls of 11 inches would be down in the Snowy Mountains, where Mt Kosciusko is.

Both the Snow Mts and the Blue Mts are in NSW but they are about 600-700km away from each other.

Edited by babibi

Posted

Forgot to add, I was living in the Blue Mtns in December 2002 and my house was at a very high risk of being burnt down by the bushfires that were raging through the Blue Mtns National Park. Alot of people lost their homes including a guy I knew, he was out helping as a volunteer in the fire brigade putting out fires near people's homes and he came home to find his own had burned to the ground.

I can clearly recall that while we were having searing heat, roaring winds and flying embers, my boyfriend (at the time) was doing a solo hike (near Mt Twynam I think) in Kosciusko National Park and he phoned me from his tent to say that he was okay but he was stuck in a blizzard :blink:

So we were experiencing totally different weather extremes only a few hundred miles apart.

Edited by babibi