Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Memories Of 2010

Paul

Posted

Hi all, we'd like to run a feature between Xmas and New Year looking back at the weather in 2010, but rather than just spinning through facts and figures we'd like to include people's memories of the weather they've witnessed during the year.

It doesn't have to be anything in depth, can be about a storm you saw, the recent snow, a great spell of weather and what you did in that time etc etc. If you've got a longish account of it then great, if not a few lines will do, and if you have photos to include that'll be great too but not compulsory.

If you'd like to be involved, please email us at team[at]netweather.tv with your memories, or any questions you may have.

Thanks

Paul

I have a house in a village called Capestang in Languedoc, France. Until March this year there have been some snow scares but whenever I have rang up to find out what the situation is I have always been told that there it always melts as it reaches the ground.

A few days prior to 07.3.2010 (Sunday) the forecasts started to indicate snow for that area but I only half believed it from what I had been told earlier.

Imagine my surprise when on the Sunday evening great big flakes started descending from the night sky. This continued right through the night and into the next day and by lunch time about 7 or 8 cms of the slushy stuff was lying around.

We met with friends for lunch who had travelled from Montpellier. They told me that the heavy vehicles were stationary at the side of the A9 but they were able to get through because they had a 4x4.

There was a short respite then it came on to snow further - smaller flakes this time and more powdery.

On the Tuesday we started out for Narbonne to go shopping and once out of the village we could see that drifts had formed. Half way through the village of Cuxac we came across a sign, "Route Barré", so we had to peel off to the right and divert through other villages admiring the pristine white snow, quite deep in places, contrasted against the azure sky and brilliant sunshine. It really was very pretty and I am still kicking myself for not having my camera with me.

At one stage we were held up for a short time whilst a JCB was shovelling the snow off the road. We finally got to Narbonne where we had the spectacle of snow being blown off the roof of Tridome, almost like a white cloud.

We returned via our normal route and found from the way the snow had been piled at the side of the road it had previously been blocked.

No salt or grit had been used but once the snow was cleared off the roads it was surprising as to how quickly they became dry again.

The snow lasted in all for about 5 days. Towards the end of this period we came across the pompiers putting out a "brush fire" at the side of the road. It was strange to think that with still quite a lot of snow still lying the undergrowth was so dry that it easily caught light.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

Well I'm guessing that this doesn't have to be UK based - before Dec 2nd, the weather I'd seen in the UK had been pretty unremarkable (before 2 separate storms in December dumped 4in [2nd Dec] and 5in [20th Dec] of snow on Dorset). But instead, the rather remarkable temperatures I saw in the North East of the US this summer (late August/early September).

Boy, was it hot - Boston normally has 3 days in August above 90F, and it was above 90 both days I was there, had been for about 5 days prior (as I experienced in NYC and Albany) and was for a few days days afterwards! Was supposed to be 94 or 95 the second day in Boston, but I took this pic at 5pm or so on the day we got into Boston:

46272_429328836836_591331836_5502293_5119389_n.jpg

Pretty remarkable for the last week of August in the North Eastern US. Even more, it stayed that high as we went upstate in NY, and into VT. After visiting the Ben and Jerry's factory in Vermont, we went into the biggest city in the state, Burlington and I saw a thermometer saying 94F. This was about 3-4 days after leaving Boston and we'd been in the US over a week with each day (except the day we landed) above 90, in NY, MA and VT. The heat did subside temporarily the day we went into Canada to Montréal QC as Earl slid up the East Coast, but the heat only came back again, and broke again in spectacular fashion the night before we flew back to Europe. An amazing thunderstorm that not only woke us up due to the noise, but one bolt struck so close to the house, the house shook. Pretty fantastic it was, I only wore jeans on one day of that whole trip. dirol.gifcool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

my memory likewise was in the U.S , when I went to San Francisco and Las Vegas Between July 12th-July 23st this year, I remember arriving in Vegas and the temperature being 106F and it felt incredible getting off the plane.

then after going to San Francisco on a smaller aircraft, a few days later we drove back to vegas via yosemite national park where in the valley it was 100F and up in yosemite it was 66F,

then the next day (on sunday the 18th) after stopping in a town on the eastern sierra nevada, we drove to Death Valley which we knew was famous for it's very very hot summer weather in July, going down the valley was amazing, watching the temperature rise from 99F when we set on at 10:45am to 115F in the valley at 11:30

after a while we got out at furness creek at 1:20pm, the largest, lowest (at nearly -100bsl) and hottest settlement in Death Valley, the temperature was a staggering 122F (or 50C) and it was incredible B) , I was sweating but surprised at how well I coped with it and went for a walk until 2:45pm

then after driving back to Vegas and staying for 5 days there every single day was around or above 110F (44C) and amazingly some overnight lows were often not below 100F (37C), even when walking around at night Las Vegas feel like a large hairdryer,

also when we drove to the grand canyon there was a beast of a thunderstorm with fork lightning clearly visible on the mountains, and it tipped it down with rain and large hail too! the funniest thing was, despite the heat, I still wore me fleece most of the time to make it feel even hotter!:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Has to be this phenomenal cold which December 2010 has blessed us with.

I took this picture 6 days ago and the snow is still as deep here with little thaw and some of the coldest minima on record in Northern Ireland over the past few days.

Snow always brings out the kid in me. :rolleyes:

post-7838-0-92603800-1293230007_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So many to choose from. 97F heat in Baltimore with an incredible thunderstorm one evening, the cold snowy start to the year or the one day summer which once again coincided with the half day at school. However, the top has to be the magnificent 4 day beasterly at the end of November which delivered 18 inches of snow direct to my garden. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2010/Rrea00120101129.gif

A week later a band of snow stalled for about 8 hours across central Scotland giving an additional foot to some parts. The snowiest 10 day spell anyone is ever likely to see.

Posted

For me, 2010 has been one of the greatest years of weather I can remember. The exceptional cold, snowy periods in January and late November - December have been fantastic to experience, but I've also enjoyed the rest of the year too as the sustained absence of our usual Atlantic depressions and westerly winds has brought our part of the country an unusual amount of beautiful, clear sunny days - especially in Spring and early Summer. I don't think I can recall seeing so many days with clear blue sky in a single year, though I have to admit I haven't been keeping any records. My birthday in mid-June was a good example: a fantastic, sunny day with barely a cloud in the sky, and nice and warm too without being too hot and humid, which meant I could go to the beach with my wife and 2 year old son. I even got to experience a couple of storms too, in an unusal place - I went on holiday to Aberdeenshire in August to visit family and heard thunder on 2 days in a row there, which matches the number I've had here during the rest of the year!

The only thing which could have made the year better would have been a sunnier July and August - as a hayfever (grass pollen) sufferer, I tend to stay indoors more in May - June, when we had the nicest weather, so would have slightly preferred to have had the best of the weather later in the summer.

I wonder if those folks living in eastern areas may have had a reversal of fortunes as far as sunny weather is concerned, experiencing cloudy weather while we enjoyed the sunshine in the West?