Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Central Southern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Yes - sorry but it is rain - Brighstone, south west coast.

Apparently too you may get some thunder in that as well........

Posted

Aaarh! our temp has gone down to 1.4C and we have had snow at 1.3C before so I was hoping for a chance of some more. Now I am totally disillusioned (not sure if I can spell that either).

Hi Polar bear, i am fine but have been having computer troubles. Son borrowed my laptop so I am on the old computer and when I loaded it up I got a tartan screen. really funny if it hadn't been so worrying. Son said it was the graphics card and he thought the cold and damp had affected it as I haven't used it for a while. His remedy? He baked it in the oven for 10 minutes on a gas 6. :rofl: He seriously did and he was right, it is now working again.!!!! Oh what a blessing to have clever sons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Wormster, do you know the current temp? And did it rise when this band moved in?

Temp and DP both -0.2 in Soton (if the magic mountain weatherstation is to be believed!) - do I stay up?

Posted

Aaarh! our temp has gone down to 1.4C and we have had snow at 1.3C before so I was hoping for a chance of some more. Now I am totally disillusioned (not sure if I can spell that either).

Hi Polar bear, i am fine but have been having computer troubles. Son borrowed my laptop so I am on the old computer and when I loaded it up I got a tartan screen. really funny if it hadn't been so worrying. Son said it was the graphics card and he thought the cold and damp had affected it as I haven't used it for a while. His remedy? He baked it in the oven for 10 minutes on a gas 6. :rofl: He seriously did and he was right, it is now working again.!!!! Oh what a blessing to have clever sons.

Arh cool baking the laptop great idea..think if I put my phone into the oven that would work too....so annoying my texts and calls not getting through!

it better be the network......

Any how...I think we wont be having snow and it will be rain and it really annoyed me on the news tonight where they talk about the bands of ppn coming through the channel giving more snow inland.....yes INLAND..! I noticed though they didnt even mention what it would fall as on the coast... just beause there is snow eslewhere doesnt mean you forget other types of weather elsewhere.. rain does exist for some..........:aggressive:

ooh sorry about that bit of a rant! it wasnt at you - I was just being insensed by media coverage .. maybe I need to go outside in the freezer or BIG freeze to calm down.....oh but I cant because the temps here arent freezing!! ....:whistling:

Posted

Wormster, do you know the current temp? And did it rise when this band moved in?

Temp and DP both -0.2 in Soton (if the magic mountain weatherstation is to be believed!) - do I stay up?

Hi, sorry to hear you too have to endure Burs Tesco!

I'm going to bed and I have 2 reasons why you should consider doing the same.

1. The track of the precip is to our east (although the lighter stuff will clip S'hampton)

2. I'm certain it will be rain,and probably will be quite a bit further inland this time. The 850s temp is too warm and are ground temps and dew points are marginal at best.

But Peter Gibbs has eluded to possible snow tuesday night/wed morning........

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Sorry,no thermometer set up. Still light around here, so potential for temp to drop I guess if it intensifies......

Posted

1. The track of the precip is to our east (although the lighter stuff will clip S'hampton)

2. I'm certain it will be rain,and probably will be quite a bit further inland this time. The 850s temp is too warm and are ground temps and dew points are marginal at best.

I was really pleased to hear Peter Gibbs say that then I thought.....bloody hell yet more sleep deprivation!

Posted

Arh cool baking the laptop great idea..think if I put my phone into the oven that would work too....so annoying my texts and calls not getting through!

it better be the network......

Any how...I think we wont be having snow and it will be rain and it really annoyed me on the news tonight where they talk about the bands of ppn coming through the channel giving more snow inland.....yes INLAND..! I noticed though they didnt even mention what it would fall as on the coast... just beause there is snow eslewhere doesnt mean you forget other types of weather elsewhere.. rain does exist for some..........:aggressive:

ooh sorry about that bit of a rant! it wasnt at you - I was just being insensed by media coverage .. maybe I need to go outside in the freezer or BIG freeze to calm down.....oh but I cant because the temps here arent freezing!! ....:whistling:

Thankfully it wasn't the laptop he put in the oven! just the graphics card which he took out of the desktop computer. Even then he had to take the plastic parts off it. Please don't anyone do it unless they know what they are doing, i don't want to get sued! :unsure: Anyway I am now having to use the not so good desktop computer as he has 'stolen' my laptop!!! Just because he couldn't bring his good computer home from Uni!

The temperature is slowly dropping here and is now 1.3C I am hoping (probably unreasonably) that if the precipitation is strong enough it could fall as snow. I know it is clutching at straws but I am so snow starved I was getting excited watching snow falling on my sons computer game. Sad or what!!! :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

I know you're right... but. but...

Posted

+0.7/0.1dp here. Light E drift. The small area of rotation off Cherbourg has tightened nicely, throwing a curved band of ppn ENE towards the IOW and W Sussex coast.

Once inland this should have no problem with delivering snow from Petersfield across to Horsham and north. Coastal areas still suffering from the mix-out of earlier - for now!

Posted

+0.7/0.1dp here. Light E drift. The small area of rotation off Cherbourg has tightened nicely, throwing a curved band of ppn ENE towards the IOW and W Sussex coast.

Once inland this should have no problem with delivering snow from Petersfield across to Horsham and north. Coastal areas still suffering from the mix-out of earlier - for now!

Oh how I am begining to dislike that word, inland. I reckon it should be reclassified as a rude word. :girl_devil: Apologies to everyone living inland and do ignore my jealousy and enjoy your snow. :blush:

Posted

Oh how I am begining to dislike that word, inland. I reckon it should be reclassified as a rude word. :girl_devil: Apologies to everyone living inland and do ignore my jealousy and enjoy your snow. :blush:

I second that CF and no offence to anyone inland either...

Ah the graphics card and I take the tip and agree with the dont try it at home people....

I think it will rain later for sure and now i must tootle off to bed - I have some wee sniffles so need to take some knock out medicine...

take care

PB..

PS CF you made me LOL on watching the snow on the computer games.,...bless you ..! Dont wait up too late now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it.

Well I am classed as inland (Waterlooville) and I still got a shedload of rain today. TBH, I had my fill of snow over the last few days and although I'd love to see more, I don't mind a few days of slightly milder weather while we get Xmas sorted!

Posted

Night Polar Bear and beware of those sniffles, my cold turned into a nasty one which has taken almost 3 weeks to go almost) completely. They breed some potent germs on the coast here. :blink:

Potent snow would be better. Well off to dream of snow myself now. Night all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I tell you what I said expect surprises in just a few hours and whatever that is in the channel has surprised me. Where did it come from, Where is heading to and looking at that vivious curling motion (a hook echo?) over Brest (!) area is it, could that be packing a tornado or something?

post-7183-0-67824800-1292887232_thumb.pn

That Barack Obama really knew something was up (all credit due) and as to my last comment, possibly too much time spent watching stormchasers on Discovery tonight, well maybe?

I just love how this winter is SO UNPREDICTABLE even within the reliable timeframe for the models.

Not had overmuch snow added to my totals today but did achieve ANOTHER ICE DAY :yahoo:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Well I am classed as inland (Waterlooville) and I still got a shedload of rain today. TBH, I had my fill of snow over the last few days and although I'd love to see more, I don't mind a few days of slightly milder weather while we get Xmas sorted!

It is nice to walk without straining every muscle in the body just to keep in a vertical position I must admit. And yes, we have a whole winter ahead of us yet so what is a few days mild. :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it.

I like the cooking tip! I used to work in IT and once we got a batch of dodgy hard drives in, we used to put them in the fridge for 24 hours and it used to work!

Posted

I tell you what I said expect surprises in just a few hours and whatever that is in the channel has surprised me. Where did it come from, Where is heading to and looking at that vivious curling motion (a hook echo?) over Brest (!) area is it, could that be packing a tornado or something?

post-7183-0-67824800-1292887232_thumb.pn

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

That is a pretty amazing radar picture I agree, bit big for a tornado I hope. :unsure: Looked more like a hurricane to me, much more pleasant. :rofl: I want to wait up and see what it is but I also want to sleep. Noseyness will be the death of me. :blush:

I like the cooking tip! I used to work in IT and once we got a batch of dodgy hard drives in, we used to put them in the fridge for 24 hours and it used to work!

My son is doing an engineering course but don't know if he learnt the tip at uni or more likely off a computer forum somewhere.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

That is a pretty amazing radar picture I agree, bit big for a tornado I hope. :unsure:

Ah yes but you would not see the tornado itself on the radar/satpic but there is usually a hook shape echo when and where one is involved. Actually the more I look at that image it reminds me of the masked idiot from Scream the movie! :shok::diablo::rofl:

In terms of a possible tornado, I obviously wouldn't wish that on anyone but that image certainly looks strange over Alderney? Where's Paul Sherman, he's the expert on these things. :whistling:

Certainly it looks like an active squall which could equally include some thunder and lightning (they are lovely beasts actually)

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Ah yes but you would not see the tornado itself on the radar/satpic but there is usually a hook shape echo when and where one is involved. Actually the more I look at that image it reminds me of the masked idot from Scream the movie! :shok::diablo::rofl:

I obviously hope that is not the case but that image certainly looks strange over Alderney? Where's Paul Sherman, he's the expert on these things. :whistling:

Certainly it looks like an active squall which could equally include some thunder and lightning (they are lovely beasts actually)

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Mmmmm Thunder and Lightning, next best thing to snow.! That precip seems to be moving pretty slowly. Too slowly I need my sleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well this last bit of PPN is headed straight for me, not expecting any snow from it, but a good old fashioned Thunderstorm would be nice :)

Dew point here, at +1.1 and and Temp at 1.6, uppers too high as well, thinking best chance for snow along s.coast now is Wed morning when the 528 line moves back south, and the NE Wind kicks back in..??

Posted

Well Yesday (Monday) brought a few more cm's with a band at 12pm and 4pm giving a 2/3cm top up,

I see the met office have updated there forecast for tomoz night. (tues night) Heavy snow and light snow lol, this will change , although i wouldnt mind flurries now and keeping temps below 0c to keep the snow for xmas :)

Night All,

Mark Neal,

Headington,Oxford

Edited by Mark Neal

Posted

I wouldn't really class Waterlooville as "inland". It's not by the extreme coastal strip, but it is still close to the coast & probably only a few miles as the crow flies from the northern shore of Langstone Harbour. Even Horndean is only 5 miles from Emsworth.

Guest Quantumsnow

Evening all, or should I say morning all :whistling:

Just got back from London Olympia, was snowing nicely on the way back and there was a fair bit of new snow all the way. Was fully expecting all my snow at home to be gone but it's still here though everything is really slushy.

Going to watch this slow moving band of precip to see if it changes from sleet to snow but not holding out much hope as my DP is at 0C and temp of about 1dg, marginal to say the least.

Have missed a whole days model watching, off to catch up!

Posted

Mornin' All, it was quite interesting to see the difference this morning between where I live (on the heath) and the centre of Bournemouth. Whilst our area is still loaded with slush and yesterday's aftermath, Bournemouth looks really clear and no wonder my one son said "Looking good" and my other son said "Is that it?", and they are only 5miles apart that's how marginal it was yesterday.