Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Central Southern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 7

Posted

Snow dog thinks... Precipitation coming from the West timed with a sudden drop in temps = a Winter Wonderland! Don't get your hopes up too much though Snow dog might be seasoned but she's not always right :winky: I just hope big hubby makes it back through the snow the Van has a heavy load

The Barometer agrees with the Snow Dog.

There is definitely another wave of heavy precip building off the south coast of Cornwall.

But will it get here and will the temps drop enough for widespread snow.

Anyway, off to the worst place on earth......Bursledon Tesco!

Hopefully when I return in an hour or 2 it will be progressing nicely and the mood on here may be a bit brighter.

Edited by Barometer Obama

Posted

its time to hand control back to the atlantic :80:

Personally - and I know I am speaking heresy here - I'll be glad of a break from the coldness. It is possible to have too much of a good thing!! I'm tired of having freezing cold hands and feet, having to slither about on slushy pavements and roads.

Don't worry, snow fans, this winter is exceptional and I have strong suspicion that the snow will be back with a vengeance. This certainly is a December unlike any I have ever known - and that is saying something!!

Anyway, off to the worst place on earth......Bursledon Tesco!

Ah I know it well! I have that pleasure to look forward to later in the week!

Posted

Looks like rain is back for guys on the S.coast, no doubt Chichester has rain which is probably causing quite a quick thaw...no white Xmas (in terms of snow on the ground!) for you guys close to the coast it seems...shame really...

Posted

Its throwing it down here again now and the skies look full of it! Much bigger flakes than we saw on Fri/Sat.

I've got frozen pipes already which I am trying to defrost but am getting a bit concerned now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

Hold That thought son, coming down " Good n Proper " now, and looking at the radar should do so for a while yet

Yep back in business again!

Posted

Looks like rain is back for guys on the S.coast, no doubt Chichester has rain which is probably causing quite a quick thaw...no white Xmas (in terms of snow on the ground!) for you guys close to the coast it seems...shame really...

Forecast I saw SE today showed the rain turning back to snow on the coast once the wind finally backs offshore again :wallbash: , with up to 20cm on the South downs.

Still chucking it down with rain at the moment though.temp 3c

Edited by Mole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

really coming down fast now, keep getting these narrow bands but there's plenty more in the channel for hours yet so will be happy enough if it keeps coming in these bouts every hour or so! covered all the footprints already in 15 minutes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Oh well you've got to love this weather and it's been all in the offing today.

It's getting borderline for RAIN soon even for us folks along the M4 corridor if this trend continues but we shall see, I hope my fears will come to nothing :whistling::wallbash: and all that.

Still a fair bit of snow to shift and I won't be relying any models for the next few days, will just be looking at the immediate trends.

Attached is my worrying trend re dewpoints etc., even for those away from the coast now! Please bring me some clear skies so the temperature can plummet! :wallbash::whistling:

post-7183-0-37962200-1292860910_thumb.pn

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Oh well you've got to love this weather and it's been all in the offing today.

It's getting borderline for RAIN soon even for us folks along the M4 corridor if this trend continues but we shall see, I hope my fears will come to nothing :whistling::wallbash: and all that.

Still a fair bit of snow to shift and I won't be relying any models for the next few days, will just be looking at the immediate trends.

Attached is my worrying trend re dewpoints etc., even for those away from the coast now! Please bring me some clear skies so the temperature can plummet! :wallbash::whistling:

post-7183-0-37962200-1292860910_thumb.pn

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

interestingly the temp has almost dropped below freezing here again, not quite...but it's been dropping steadily for the last 30mins (got up to +0.7)

I have no idea wht the DP is here though as the weather station doesn't show that info, or i can't find it..!

Posted
  • Location: Six-toe county (The Poole-Bournemouth-Christchurch megatropolis)

Yep GTLTW. the 12z surface analsys fax from the Met O. shows what a complicated situation this became today:

http://www.netweather.tv/fax/PPVA89.png

Belting down with rain now. All the footprints in the garden are making loads of little ponds full of water. Most odd. Some surfaces now snow free too, including a garden table that had about 3cm on it this morning. Temperature has bounced around from 1 to 4c all afternoon, with the dew point trailing it as you'd expect with a Southerly draw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

interestingly the temp has almost dropped below freezing here again, not quite...but it's been dropping steadily for the last 30mins (got up to +0.7)

I have no idea wht the DP is here though as the weather station doesn't show that info, or i can't find it..!

I checked Weather wunderground to get some ideas on Dew point...alas the one in Brighton isnt on or doesnt have it and it currently shows it at -73.3!! Urm dont think so!

:blink:

The one at Southampton indicates dewpoint of 0.4 and 0.4 temps...what do we need though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Do you have a relative humidity reading as I understand you can work it out from that! but you'll have to google for this or speak to Butler Son because he knows how.

Anyway, that's the type of trend we all need, back into the freezer :cold:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

I checked Weather wunderground to get some ideas on Dew point...alas the one in Brighton isnt on or doesnt have it and it currently shows it at -73.3!! Urm dont think so!

The one at Southampton indicates dewpoint of 0.4 and 0.4 temps...what do we need though?

PB my sweet, we need minus dewpoint (i.e. negative) readings but alas there's also upper air temps and other dynamics at play, so it's not as straight forward as that suggests.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Do you have a relative humidity reading as I understand you can work it out from that! but you'll have to google for this or speak to Butler Son because he knows how.

Anyway, that's the type of trend we all need, back into the freezer :cold:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

got it...

currently 0.4c and falling, Dew Point: 0.5°C falling.gifand falling

Posted

Yep GTLTW. the 12z surface analsys fax from the Met O. shows what a complicated situation this became today:

http://www.netweathe.../fax/PPVA89.png

Nice one, these charts ARE THE ONES TO FOLLOW.

I also like the look of that low 200 miles of the SW, could be the development Barak Obama been keeping his beady eye on.

Thanks

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Very Light here in Oxford, given a decent covering 1/2cm so far.. a few moderate bursts in with it...

Mark Neal

Headington,Oxford

Posted

Oh my, it's tipping it down with rain, and I go away for a few mins and the temp rockets up to 1.4C. Still not too bothered, I don't even mind if all the snow gets washed away to be quite frank, but we do have 4 inches still which looks lovely. Would be nice if the temperature went down when the Sun did... aggressive.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Guess I was just ahead of you at Tesco, Barometer Obama - managed to go and get the essentials just as the snow turned to rain so it was nice and quiet. Got a big joint of beef in the freezer in case I can't get a turkey and also got the most important cards in the post so I'm a bit less stressy than I was :smiliz58: Anyway, I don't want to be accused of WI'ing again so...

The incoming ppn seems to be massing nicely SW of the IoW and temps and DPs are now on a nice downward trajectory so I agree with the posters upthread who reckon there is a bit more coming our way (or at least to the east of our region). :hi:

Posted

When I was out making TEIT's (my snowmnan!) it was turning a bit sleety. You could hear it landing on the bushes. Looked snowey when I came back in though. Marginal even here. 1c / -0.2 dew point!

Posted

Anyway, I don't want to be accused of WI'ing again so...

Would we ever? well would I? :clap:

Good, now that's enough :gathering: from me, time for some alcobevarages and then later the darts is on but I may still pop in and out. :shok:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Apparantly it's been snowing steadily in Petersfield for a lot of the day. Although I've been working in the Clanfield area (sleet) and Horndean/Havant (rain) where the conditions are completely different. I got caught out a bit on the way home as wasn't expecting to see the white stuff. Luckily followed snow plough for safer passage! Raintoday radar still has a lot of precip heading this sort of way although how much it amounts to is anyone's guess this weird and wonderful December.

Posted

Well its still snowing in Oxford, additional 2-3cm so far with some 50 sized flakes.. really impressive stuff,

Then there was the middle of the week , models have been uncertain so who knows...

Mark Neal

Headington,Oxford

Posted

Roughly speaking a mean of below zero for your temperature and dewpoint - i.e. add the temperature and dew point (in degrees C) together then divide by two. So, temperature 5c, dewpoint -6c = snow, temperature 5c dewpoint -4c = no snow. VERY roughly as a rule of thumb. There are many other things to consider, but you won't go far wrong with this when nowcasting.

Also see here to calculate with relative humidity: http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowProbCalc

When I was out making TEIT's (my snowmnan!) it was turning a bit sleety. You could hear it landing on the bushes. Looked snowey when I came back in though. Marginal even here. 1c / -0.2 dew point!

Forgot to say, nice pics - he certainly beats the theoretical slush man I could probably have made if I wasn't so lazy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Roughly speaking a mean of below zero for your temperature and dewpoint - i.e. add the temperature and dew point (in degrees C) together then divide by two. So, temperature 5c, dewpoint -6c = snow, temperature 5c dewpoint -4c = no snow. VERY roughly as a rule of thumb. There are many other things to consider, but you won't go far wrong with this when nowcasting.

Also see here to calculate with relative humidity: http://www.sciencebi...om/SnowProbCalc

Forgot to say, nice pics - he certainly beats the theoretical slush man I could probably have made if I wasn't so lazy!

Thank you Bod I must keep this post somewhere handy to remember and refer back to;

Anyway it is at the moment in Brighton rain rain and rain and rain. :wallbash: and seeing from the radar it looks like the rain is spreading northwards inland past the downs.....somebody stop it! :aggressive: