Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Central Southern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 7

Posted

:wallbash: RAINING :wallbash:

However looking at the local forecast she mentioned up to 20cm on the South downs,so I presume when the wind backs offshore later its all going to turn to snow.Here's hoping anyway.

Going to be terrible driving conditions by the morning wether you have had further snow or rain which will freeze solid later with temps down to -3c on the coasts and much colder inland.

Posted

As OMM has said looks like the wind perhaps scuppered us on the coast.

Now +3 in Locks Heath, DP +1, wind veered to more southerly at 11am onwards which coincided with snow turning to sleet/rain.

Classic case of "location location location", for example snow in Eastleigh and Verwood, rain in Christchurch and here.

Need to look at charts for the possible wednesday/thursday event.

Best of luck to all those 10 miles inland (ish)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

:wallbash: RAINING :wallbash:

However looking at the local forecast she mentioned up to 20cm on the South downs,so I presume when the wind backs offshore later its all going to turn to snow.Here's hoping anyway.

Going to be terrible driving conditions by the morning wether you have had further snow or rain which will freeze solid later with temps down to -3c on the coasts and much colder inland.

aandd I can report I think it is ..........................rain/drizzle for brighton also. How exciting! I think I may sign off the thread soon as I really dont witsh to be writing about rain on this thread....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

think that's it now for us, looking good earlier for the main band to comethis waybut decaying and dying back now according to radar so think we are waytoo far north to get anything else today.

Posted

Oh. There appears to be a new band of intense precip appearing between Brest and Lands End.

Could hit this area in a few hours? Could it intensify? Could the temps have dropped by the time it makes landfall?

Just trying to reignite those down in the dumps (rain). This winter, anything is possible.

Posted

And Snizzle again :( Just as i'll dressed for my snowman making!

DEFFO Dying out.

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Huge snowflakes here now :rolleyes:

Posted

Very frustrating day's snow-watching here in Hedge End (ignore my location, need to change it as I'm back down South now as of last Wednesday!) - 1-2cm between 9-10am, but the main event seems to have done everything possible to miss here, even with snow falling just a few miles W (e.g Romsey area from reports I've heard!), it's been wet non-sticking snow, sleet, or as we have right now, rain :-(

The problem hasn't been the temperature/dewpoint, as this was all fine throughout the morning, never higher than about 0.6C for the temperature, which actually dropped during the late-morning period as snow approached then fizzled/missed. The problem really was PPN, the vast majority of which has missed by just a few miles, changing direction or weakening just when things looked promising. I think this afternoon always looked marginal, not least due to the upper temperatures rising above -5C @ 850hpa across the far South, so the window of opportunity was this morning and it didn't work out :-(

Ah well - for what it's worth we got about 6cm of snow on Saturday morning which is certainly more than some got from that event in these parts! I was hoping that today's possible snowfall would at least leave us with as much snow on the ground as we had before it started, as I was all too aware of the marginality being an issue, and this area is notorious for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when it comes to things going the 'wrong side of marginal' :D - unfortunately on this occasion, we were the right side of marginal for longer than quite a few other parts of the South, but just without the PPN.... this wouldn't have happened back in Durham lol :D

Looking ahead, not sure about too many snow opportunities for our region (not on the scale of Sat or today anyway!), but hopefully we'll see less of the mild influences of the Channel, possibly more days with the temperature at or even below freezing for much of the day, particularly inland. Providing snow cover remains intact today (which it's more-or-less managing here despite the rain), at least some places in the South might just see a white Christmas, if not necessarily with snow falling from the sky! And as we've seen of late, the charts are still prone to changes, so I guess anything's still possible :D

Merry Xmas all! :smiliz19:

Cheers :)

Edited by Snow Hawk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Oh. There appears to be a new band of intense precip appearing between Brest and Lands End.

Could hit this area in a few hours? Could it intensify? Could the temps have dropped by the time it makes landfall?

Just trying to reignite those down in the dumps (rain). This winter, anything is possible.

I'd like to give definite answers of yes yes yes to those, but nowcasting is the name of the game.

I believe there will be MANY MORE SURPRISES in the run up to christmas and I'm holding out for a BIG EVENT sometime soon. :yahoo: This being due to the peak intensity period that Blast and Roger have recently mentioned.

Personally I see no point in looking further ahead than the 24-48hr timeframe at the moment.

Anyhow it's official, those of you in Portsmouth are not to have any more snow until the new year , now where's that wall. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I love the hope that this thread usually brings but sometimes just sometimes. :gathering:

RANT OVER

gottolovethisweather

Posted

I agree, in all my years I have never seen a winter like this - it's unreal!

The GFS for early January is showing another northerly blast, a long way away yes, but it was spot on with the current cold spell.

In the short term, we will still have low pressure near by, and I think the wind will start to back, and stay backed to the E or NE as the developing low over Iberia moves NE and absorbs our low. So all that cold air currently inland is going to return. Yes, anything truly is possible!

Posted

Yep - I think that's it for the isle of Wight but let's not forget in the summer we have the beaches!!!!!! Temperature is now such that I can't forsee a freeze tonight but it would be utter chaos if it did and very dangerous on the wet roads. Much as I would like to see more snow even the Weds/Thurs possibility now seems to be doubtful as the Atlantic is fighting back.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Yep - I think that's it for the isle of Wight but let's not forget in the summer we have the beaches!!!!!! Temperature is now such that I can't forsee a freeze tonight but it would be utter chaos if it did and very dangerous on the wet roads. Much as I would like to see more snow even the Weds/Thurs possibility now seems to be doubtful as the Atlantic is fighting back.....

i totally agree thats it for awhile me thinks.

very eventfull december so close to a white christmas but being on the south it was to be expected.

jan not looking so good either although still far out but could well be the end of winter for the southern half of england.

just goes to show how marginal events are on the southcoast.:(

I agree, in all my years I have never seen a winter like this - it's unreal!

The GFS for early January is showing another northerly blast, a long way away yes, but it was spot on with the current cold spell.

In the short term, we will still have low pressure near by, and I think the wind will start to back, and stay backed to the E or NE as the developing low over Iberia moves NE and absorbs our low. So all that cold air currently inland is going to return. Yes, anything truly is possible!

i tend to agree with omm there is always a possibilty that ne or e flow could bring back some cold.:smiliz19:

Posted

Well we've only had a slight sprinkling here today on top of the 4 inches we already had... I see we are all on alert but haven't seen a forecast today so no idea what the picture is...

Posted

Much as I would like to see more snow even the Weds/Thurs possibility now seems to be doubtful as the Atlantic is fighting back.....

What model are you getting this from?

I've just double checked the GFS and ECM and they both have us in a NE wind with the Atlantic looking like a damp squid. Possible warm up at the weekend but nothing substantial and certainly not locked in.

Posted

2:33pm and a typical winter solstice-ish day. Dark, gloomy, wet and cold. 2.7C and moderate rain. UGH! No wonder the pagan British had a rave up at this time of year! :crazy:

Posted

:smiliz46: Sigh! Well, everytime something heads towards us it looks as if it makes it, and then dies. Why can't anything in this country be certain? Everytime there's an event it's always marginality, unless its rain ofcourse, then we get that by the bucketloads! ..... alot will probably say "because usually it's the Atlantic that dominates our weather", but still! its frustrating lol. Anyway! im hoping for more snow during the week :) Met office have a sprawl of showers / patchy snow tomorrow afternoon, whilst the BBC have nothing. I just want a BIG storm! :D :D :D

Seeing as I don't have a thermometer or anything, i go by my desktop gadget and other sources on the net. Most saying Currently -7C Feel like: -11C :shok: wowzers.

Hope all you guys are enjoying the snow!

Posted

The rain's back, folks! I don't think it's gonna make a blind bit of difference to the snow cover we have, would be nice if it fell as snow, but you can't have everything. Night'll be upon us soon anyway to send the temps down.

0.6C here still. So although the rain's trying to melt the snow a bit, it's not doing very well at it. aggressive.gif

Posted

imgp1353c.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

snowmanj.th.jpg

imgp1360.th.jpg

imgp1363z.th.jpg

imgp1362p.th.jpg

Posted

think that's it now for us, looking good earlier for the main band to comethis waybut decaying and dying back now according to radar so think we are waytoo far north to get anything else today.

Hold That thought son, coming down " Good n Proper " now, and looking at the radar should do so for a while yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hold That thought son, coming down " Good n Proper " now, and looking at the radar should do so for a while yet

Ted, welcome aboard.

Can you update your profile with a more specific location, please!

It helps us track these events.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Snow dog thinks... Precipitation coming from the West timed with a sudden drop in temps = a Winter Wonderland! Don't get your hopes up too much though Snow dog might be seasoned but she's not always right :winky: I just hope big hubby makes it back through the snow the Van has a heavy load

Posted

Snow dog thinks... Precipitation coming from the West timed with a sudden drop in temps = a Winter Wonderland! Don't get your hopes up too much though Snow dog might be seasoned but she's not always right :winky: I just hope big hubby makes it back through the snow the Van has a heavy load

I must admit, it does seem to be pushing along the coast.

This winter has been a total nowcast event, new fronts and streamers developing all of the time. Although the BBC have really got the last 3 days as bang on as they could. Really impressive forecasts tbh.