Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

Tendulkar: 50 Test Centuries

Tendulkar has become the first batsman in history to score 50 Test centuries. :clap:

His first was against England at Old Trafford back in 1990. Remember it!

20 years ago :blink:

Reports from the sub-continent claim that apparently he's a half decent bat! wink.gif

Shame he's not South African or we could get him into the England set up! whistling.gifbomb.gifph34r.gif

Amazing he's never scored a triple one hundred. I can remember a few years ago people saying he was finished. Load of nonsense. I wonder how long he will carry on for.

Amazing he's never scored a triple one hundred. I can remember a few years ago people saying he was finished. Load of nonsense. I wonder how long he will carry on for.

Bradman was 40 when he called it a day and he was still hitting big centuries even that old.

Gooch and Boycott were into their 40s when they called it a day. Hobbs was over 50!

I thought I'd find this thread and post my thoughts wondering how long it will be until Tendulkar retires.

All the focus on him has been when would he get his 100th international century, yet he has played at least 8 test matches (4 over here and 4 in Australia, not sure if he played in their series versus West Indies in between) and how ever many ODIs in the last year without getting to the milestone. So surely there is every chance that he won't achieve the feat!

Thoughts of when he may retire are more to the forefront of my mind today with news that his great contemporary Rahul Dravid has retired from all international cricket. A great player and the only stand out performer when India played England last summer.

Bradman is definitely head and shoulders above anyone else, especially when you consider he made his runs on uncovered pitches and without the modern equipment. An average of 99 will never be bettered over so many matches- in fact nobody has even got close. In the last 20 years though, Tendulkar is the best- Warne said that the best batsman he bowled to was Tendulkar, then daylight, then Lara. He's certainly the best player I've seen in my lifetime. His strokeplay is not as flamboyant as it once was but he is still hugely effective.

Fantastic achievement but he still comes some way behind Bradman, IMO.

I quiet agree. But the best I ever saw was Graeme Pollock. followed closely by Richards and Sobers,

Bradman is definitely head and shoulders above anyone else, especially when you consider he made his runs on uncovered pitches and without the modern equipment.

There is also another factor, Bradman also worked for a living. He worked before and after matches if they were played at home in the early days. Imagine playing on a scorching hot summer's day and you are out in the field all day then after a day's play, you did work once you got home.

There is also another factor, Bradman also worked for a living. He worked before and after matches if they were played at home in the early days. Imagine playing on a scorching hot summer's day and you are out in the field all day then after a day's play, you did work once you got home.

Absolutely, and when you consider tests are quite frequently played in Australia on days when the temperature is 40C+, it makes his achievements all the more remarkable. Having to work would have left far less time for net practice and the honing of his technique. I read somewhere that he developed his hand-eye coordination by hitting a golf ball against a wall with a stump for hours on end as a young man.

I quiet agree. But the best I ever saw was Graeme Pollock. followed closely by Richards and Sobers,

I don't think that there is any doubt that Bradman is the greatest batsman ever, and while 'ever' is a long time, I think it is overwhelmingly unlikely that there will ever be anybody as good as him. I also think that bearing in mind the difference between his average and the next best, and taking into account that there is no bowler who has this superiority in terms of averages, that there is little argument that he is the greatest cricketer of all time.

In terms of Tendulkar's place in history, he is one of a group of batsmen which includes the likes of Pollock, Sobers, Headley, Sutcliffe, Weekes, Hammond, Hobbs, and Hutton, who can be considered all time greats. Tendulkar's average in both Test and One Day cricket, the volume of runs that he has scored, the way in which he has scored them and his longevity, all indicate that he is worthy to be considered alongside those mentioned above. In terms of outstanding batsmen, we are in fact enjoying something of a golden era. The likes of Lara, Ponting, Dravid and Sangakkara are all in, or at least close to, the list of the greatest batsman after Bradman.

If one considers batsmen, bowlers and all-rounders, Tendulkar is probably only clearly behind Bradman and Sobers in the list of all time cricketing greats.

I don't think that there is any doubt that Bradman is the greatest batsman ever, and while 'ever' is a long time, I think it is overwhelmingly unlikely that there will ever be anybody as good as him. I also think that bearing in mind the difference between his average and the next best, and taking into account that there is no bowler who has this superiority in terms of averages, that there is little argument that he is the greatest cricketer of all time.

In terms of Tendulkar's place in history, he is one of a group of batsmen which includes the likes of Pollock, Sobers, Headley, Sutcliffe, Weekes, Hammond, Hobbs, and Hutton, who can be considered all time greats. Tendulkar's average in both Test and One Day cricket, the volume of runs that he has scored, the way in which he has scored them and his longevity, all indicate that he is worthy to be considered alongside those mentioned above. In terms of outstanding batsmen, we are in fact enjoying something of a golden era. The likes of Lara, Ponting, Dravid and Sangakkara are all in, or at least close to, the list of the greatest batsman after Bradman.

If one considers batsmen, bowlers and all-rounders, Tendulkar is probably only clearly behind Bradman and Sobers in the list of all time cricketing greats.

Average-wise Kallis is also up there with the other modern players you mention, although he rarely gets mentioned due to the fact his batting is not very exciting. It's quite remarkable that he has scored over 12,000 test runs at 56 and taken 276 wickets at 32.

Yes I think Mr. D has mentioned this before. Kallis is often overlooked. But sticking to those I've seen the greatest cricketer I ever saw was Gary Sobers. And on that subject Colin Bland was without doubt the greatest cover fielder. I remember him running out Jim Parks when Parks and Kenny Barrington, I think it was, tried to pinch a quick single. They didn't even cross.

Average-wise Kallis is also up there with the other modern players you mention, although he rarely gets mentioned due to the fact his batting is not very exciting. It's quite remarkable that he has scored over 12,000 test runs at 56 and taken 276 wickets at 32.

Thank you Scorcher. I deliberately left out Kallis to see if anyone would mention him. Kallis is clearly the greatest cricketer of our time. He has a batting average which is higher than Tendulkar, Sangakkera, Ponting or anyone else in the current era. If you add in the number of wickets he has taken and the average at which he has taken them, then the only players who rank alongside him in cricketing history are Bradman and Sobers. There is a strong argument that he is better than Sobers.

For some reason this man is constantly ignored or overlooked. We are witnessing one of the phenomena of world sport .

There have been other cricketers who have been ignored in terms of their greatness. Ken Barrington is generally regarded as good, solid Test batsmen. In fact he has a batting average which is higher than Hutton, Hammond, Hobbs or any other post-war batsmen.

I've always championed Kallis as the best all-round cricketer of the past 25 years...Tendulkar's batting has been like poetry in motion personified and is a joy to watch when in form, but it's worth noting that he has rarely made runs when they were most required from India, hence the reason I'd hesitate to call him the greatest batsmen of recent times..IMHO, Ponting, Kallis & Lara are ahead of him as complete batsmen, and over the past 30+ years I've followed cricket, I would also rank Javed Miandad, Sunil Gavaskar & Sir Viv Richards above Tendulkar in terms of complete batsmen

• Some first weekend of Summer - even the pigeons don't fancy it

Gusting winds, showers and persistent rain - not the type of weather you'd usually associate with the first weekend of summer. But there will be some improvement through the weekend and into next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2020-06-05 21:46:10 Valid: 06/06/2020 0600 - 07/06/2020 0600 THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK - SAT 6TH JUNE 2020 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather