Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

'mild' In Nuuk

knocker

Posted

Whilst Britain and Europe have/are experiencing very cold and snowy weather Greenland has been having an Indian Winter. Nuuk is no exception. Last week, for example it had a max temp of 7 deg. C which is quite exceptional especially as the daylight only lasts for four hours. Compare this with the climate averages. The forecast for the next four days is 4, 3, -1 and 0 deg. C. It is plus 1 deg. C on today's midday chart.

As it happened the NAO for the 10th, 11th and 12th was -.72 and the monthly mean at the moment is -.31.

Edited by weather ship

Posted

Just shows the similarity,back in 62-63 Greenland enjoyed a very mild winter and guess what it was like here!!!

Rollo, I know what it was like here. I was working in a wooden hut for the METO on the Salisbury Plain. Never been so cold in my life.:(

Rollo, I know what it was like here. I was working in a wooden hut for the METO on the Salisbury Plain. Never been so cold in my life.:(

It wasn't too bad in the Queen's Building at Heathrow :whistling: though did get sent over to North Side in Jan to do some obs for a few days and at that time it got up to a balmy +4C or thereabouts.

I seem to recall an ob I plotted on the trans atlantic chart in that winter showing a -5C at New Orleans with freezing rain -does anybody recall that, or have access to the records?

Posted

It wasn't too bad in the Queen's Building at Heathrow :whistling: though did get sent over to North Side in Jan to do some obs for a few days and at that time it got up to a balmy +4C or thereabouts.

I seem to recall an ob I plotted on the trans atlantic chart in that winter showing a -5C at New Orleans with freezing rain -does anybody recall that, or have access to the records?

Blimey you had it easy.:rolleyes: Regarding New Orleans they had the greatest snow storm of the last century there on the 31st Dec. 1963. Unfortunately that's the wrong winter. I could whistle up the chart.

Posted

The unseasonable weather continues in Nuuk with a temp of plus 1 this morning although the forecast is for temperatures nearer the climatic average.

I just saw your reply-even though I love the cold I would not have envied you being out in a wooden shed that winter!!