Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Late December 2000 Snow

polarlow2

Posted

Hello, I don't often post but the prospect of snow has got me reminiscing. Actually I have a question.

During late December 2000 I was on holiday in north-west Ireland and had a collosal snowfall, about 7 inches of snow in five hours from early morning to mid-day. I seem to remember this was a nationwide event, but can anyone explain the synoptics? And why the snow was so intense over that part of Ireland? It was the best snowfall I've ever seen in my 26 years of life, happy days.

Posted

Hello, I don't often post but the prospect of snow has got me reminiscing. Actually I have a question.

During late December 2000 I was on holiday in north-west Ireland and had a collosal snowfall, about 7 inches of snow in five hours from early morning to mid-day. I seem to remember this was a nationwide event, but can anyone explain the synoptics? And why the snow was so intense over that part of Ireland? It was the best snowfall I've ever seen in my 26 years of life, happy days.

Your name is approproate to this topic ha, the time in question was the 27,28th December 2000 and western areas got subjected to a polar low there was widespread significant snowfall, here in Glasgow we had a level foot was a great snow event. Polar lows deliver BIG time when it comes to snow :)

Scott