Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

englandman

Did England Make A Big Mistake?

When they sacked Errikson? surly our current squad is the worse since Itallia 90, Sven got us beating the Germans 5-1 then we went on a good spell but a few bad results ment Sven being sacked I think if we kept him we might have had a better chance winning the world cup grantted Capello has been one of th most sucssesful managers but he is wasted in England with his tactics unlike Sven who knew what we was doing. It is very dissapointing what is happening to the team and it will take years to rebuild and sorry but I dont think Cappello is the right man we need a English Manager who knows how the premiership works.

When they sacked Errikson? surly our current squad is the worse since Itallia 90, Sven got us beating the Germans 5-1 then we went on a good spell but a few bad results ment Sven being sacked I think if we kept him we might have had a better chance winning the world cup grantted Capello has been one of th most sucssesful managers but he is wasted in England with his tactics unlike Sven who knew what we was doing. It is very dissapointing what is happening to the team and it will take years to rebuild and sorry but I dont think Cappello is the right man we need a English Manager who knows how the premiership works.

Sorry to get straight to the point, but if Eriksson knew what he was doing, why couldn't he solve the problem England keep having with penalties? Or the "quarter finals is OK" mentality? That 5-1 was a one off, I remember the next game against Greece when his new-fangled ideas didn't work, and they got a point thanks to bringimg on the player whom Owen had replaced four years before.

He only seems good now because of McLaren and Capello. As for the current England squad being the worst since Italia 90: Gerrard, Lampard and Walcott or Carlton Palmer, Andy Sinton and Tony Daley? Taylor actually qualified for a tournament with the latter, which Mc Laren couldn't do with the former.

They won't win anything until all a) all the 1966 lot are dead B) the PL and FA start to work together for the good of the England squad, including reducing the size of the PL and who knows, having cricket-style central contracts c) we have a Great Britain team, not England/Wales/Scotland one. Being half Welsh and half English it's really hard to decide whether I love or hate either team. And with the whole country behind it, who knows....

I thought sacking Eriksson was a mistake, though I think the media was more to blame for it than the FA. I thought "quarter finals is OK" was actually fair comment at the time because England didn't quite have enough quality players to rival the very best sides, but was certainly deserving of "within the top 10 sides in the world" status. There were recurring problems under him, though, notably the defensiveness after going 1-0 up and penalty taking, but the question we should always ask when sacking a manager is, "are there any better managers for the job who would be likely to be willing to take it?" and I think, while there are almost certainly better managers out there, we'd have to be very lucky to get any of them to accept the England job.

However, in the long run I don't think it has made much difference to England's position, rather causing a comparitive slump between 2007 and 2009. England's star players are mostly getting past the peak of their careers and there aren't enough good young English players coming through to replace them- we see this problem starkly in the Premier League where most of the star players are foreign. Thus, until this situation is rectified I can't see England doing better than scraping the back end of the world's top 10 sides overall regardless of how good the manager is, and regardless of the manager's nationality.