Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Athens Greece Weather

Konstantinos

Posted
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.

The weather in Athens (capital of Greece) this period is very cold. Last weekend it snowed in the centre of Athens, something that is really unusual here. Τhis week sleet is likely to fall.

• 5 weeks later...

Greece has long been a favorite vacation destination for people around the world to visit. In fact, more than 15 million people choose Greece as a holiday destination each year. Greece has a lot of different things to offer tourists, beautiful people, shopping and beaches, Greece has it all. In general, the Greek islands where the majority of people often, but the mainland of Greece is also a great place to visit as well. The Mediterranean climate is very much alive in Greece. The winters are short and sweet. Summers run from April to November and has hot days, dry and sunny days. Occasionally there will be rain, but are brief and infrequent. May and June and September and October are the best months to see much time in Greece is more comfortable and enjoyable. Since mid-July to mid August, Greece is under the spell of warmer weather.

Meteora Tour

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.

In Athens, there is likely to snow in the coming hours. When I have pictures I will upload.

• 6 months later...
Posted

I know, I am late. My videos are here:

Edited by Konstantinos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

late.. !!

Nice videos, I see on the second video it was kind of sticking.. did any settle in the end or just melt on contact with the ground?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted

late.. !!

Nice videos, I see on the second video it was kind of sticking.. did any settle in the end or just melt on contact with the ground?

No worries. I do not remember what happened, but I am sure nothing important...

Now Athens has 0 degrees C, but it does not snowing.... I am optimistic about the next weeks... Maybe....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I notice the different suburbs of Athens have HUGE microclimates, at one end of Athens it can be -5C, the other end it can be +5C fascinating differences, but then again Athens covers a huge area of land with varying topography, so maybe it's not so surprising afterall.

Posted

Athens is very big city. But Athens airport is far away from the downtown of Athens and all suburbs. But really the differences of the temperature are frequent.

Anyway, we are waiting north winds and humidity in a few days in Athens, and so, why not?, and snow.... We will see. Today we are waiting a good storm....

Edited by Konstantinos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Kalimera Konstantinos,

My Uncle and Aunt live on Thassos and the other week they had a random hail and snow shower that fell on their village only, not in the mountains or anywhere else. Strange.

The weather in Greece I always find fascinating, you can get two extremes only a few miles apart.

I do miss your country and hope to be back soon.

Posted

Kalimera Konstantinos,

My Uncle and Aunt live on Thassos and the other week they had a random hail and snow shower that fell on their village only, not in the mountains or anywhere else. Strange.

The weather in Greece I always find fascinating, you can get two extremes only a few miles apart.

I do miss your country and hope to be back soon.

Kalimera Lauren.

Thasos is an island in northeastern Aegean sea. This was in the best situation the last week... I am sure your uncle and your aunt felt really cold the last week.

Yes, Greek weather is very good and nice. We have Mediterranean climate, and too many high mountains, so the extreme weather is a usual phenomenon and in summer and in winter. My family has a cottage in 150 m altitude in an island for summers and another one in 750 m altitude for good winters...

My country and we miss you too and I hope we meet each other soon in Greece (or somewhere else)...

Edited by Konstantinos

Posted

Kalimera Lauren.

Thasos is an island in northeastern Aegean sea. This was in the best situation the last week... I am sure your uncle and your aunt felt really cold the last week.

Yes, Greek weather is very good and nice. We have Mediterranean climate, and too many high mountains, so the extreme weather is a usual phenomenon and in summer and in winter. My family has a cottage in 150 m altitude in an island for summers and another one in 750 m altitude for good winters...

My country and we miss you too and I hope we meet each other soon in Greece (or somewhere else)...

They said it has be exceptionally cold this winter.

I keep a bit of Greece with me by cooking up a good Stifado and keftedes every now and then.

I miss a good gyro though!

Posted

They said it has be exceptionally cold this winter.

I keep a bit of Greece with me by cooking up a good Stifado and keftedes every now and then.

I miss a good gyro though!

I am sure they had exceptionally cold this winter. We have cold in Athens, so I imagine how cold was in Thasos. Also the rest of this winter is coming soon.

Stifado is one of my favorite dishes and souvlaki (with gyro)...

• 1 month later...
Posted

Snow Athens 28/02/2012

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9NV3YkoOs

Edited by Konstantinos

• 9 months later...
Posted

What is your opinion about the cold which is coming in Central - Eastern Europe and Greece the next week?

• 9 months later...
Posted

Today, in Greece, maybe we will have the first fall raining. Thunderstorm, low temperature and winds.

• 2 months later...
Posted

The queue of Cleopatra is coming to Greece.

• 4 months later...
Posted

Hailstones in Konstantinos palm... Athens, Greece 13 April 2014https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDpsfZ2yJRQ&feature=youtu.be

• 1 month later...
Posted

Storm in Athens, 04 / 06/ 2014... 11 lightnings during 3 minutes... recorded by Konstantinos with his smartphone in airplane mode....

Edited by Konstantinos
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

When are thunderstorms most likely in the Aegean islands?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

When are thunderstorms most likely in the Aegean islands?

Occasionally with sea breeze convergence under the right conditions. Ive seen an almost static storm on Rhodes that did not move at all !!

Late September into October it gets extreme at times I've heard though. Huge hail and dangerous conditions are no stranger in those months. 

Source: friends out there on working holidays! 

Posted

We're off to Rhodes in September (the middle 2 weeks) and was wondering if we would catch any whilst out there. I know the deadly one happened in September. My Aunt and Uncle in Thassos get some crazy storms in September, but I am aware they are much further north, so wondered if the same applied for Rhodes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

We're off to Rhodes in September (the middle 2 weeks) and was wondering if we would catch any whilst out there. I know the deadly one happened in September. My Aunt and Uncle in Thassos get some crazy storms in September, but I am aware they are much further north, so wondered if the same applied for Rhodes.

I'd imagine rhodes is in for a good shout defo. It normally begins around the beginning of September and the risk increases further from then on. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Reports that Skiathos is getting pounded by some pretty heavy thunderstorms.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Reports that Skiathos is getting pounded by some pretty heavy thunderstorms.

I'm off to Skiathos on Tuesday. Hoping for a tasty storm, even if it is a few miles away, just to get some photos! July is the least likely month to get one around Skiathos I believe, however some weather forecasts suggesting a bit of a breakdown during the middle of the holiday! :D