Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

La Crosse Ws2800

Posted

I had a very simple weather station from Lidls which measures Outside Humidity and Temperatures and for what I paid for it - it was very interesting but now I wanted something better. Like anyone looking for a better model but still as yet not sure whether to invest in the Davis price range there was huge amount of options out there - eventually though I settled on this one

http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/weather-stations/la-crosse-professional-weather-centre-it-ws2800-.htm

Tried to get as much info on it as I could and even though it was more than I initially planned on paying - it was completely wireless and seemed to tick all the boxes for me.

Now however, after ordering and paying (though only yesterday so I have still not received it as yet) I found on an American site some pretty mixed reviews - especially in relation to the durability of aenometer and the actual wireless range. There were also plenty of positive reviews but I just wondered had I made a mistake in buying this particular model - so with this in mind- does anyone here have any opinions on this weather station or perhaps know anyone with this model and would like to offer up their thoughts?

thanks and regds

Steve

Posted

I can't really give you any advice on that particular model but for what it's worth I also bought my first weather station which hasn't arrived yet either. I checked round various model reviews and to be honest pretty much all of them were getting mixed reviews so I ended up getting this one. OS WMR100N

Most folks seem to recommend Davis models but tbh they're pretty much out of my price range and even at that some of them had their own issues, so I figured all I can do is give a cheaper model a chance. That one of yours looks pretty decent, La Crosse models seemed quite popular when I was researching.

I'm sure someone can give you much better advice about that particular model although this particular section of the forums seems quite slow. I'm not sure what the forum rules are concerning linking to other forums so if I'm making a bit of a blunder here I apologise but here's a couple of links to forums where you might find information on that particular product.

WeatherWatch - Weather Station forum

Weather Station reviews

WXForum - La Crosse section

Posted

I can't really give you any advice on that particular model but for what it's worth I also bought my first weather station which hasn't arrived yet either. I checked round various model reviews and to be honest pretty much all of them were getting mixed reviews so I ended up getting this one. OS WMR100N

Most folks seem to recommend Davis models but tbh they're pretty much out of my price range and even at that some of them had their own issues, so I figured all I can do is give a cheaper model a chance. That one of yours looks pretty decent, La Crosse models seemed quite popular when I was researching.

I'm sure someone can give you much better advice about that particular model although this particular section of the forums seems quite slow. I'm not sure what the forum rules are concerning linking to other forums so if I'm making a bit of a blunder here I apologise but here's a couple of links to forums where you might find information on that particular product.

WeatherWatch - Weather Station forum

Weather Station reviews

WXForum - La Crosse section

Thanks Watsy - I have to say I have read a few negative reports about the model I'm going for but I guess forewarned is forearmed and I'm quite looking forward to it - shame I couldn't get it a week earlier with the weather front thats heading here at the end of the week - let us know how you get on with your new weather station aswel.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Thanks Watsy - I have to say I have read a few negative reports about the model I'm going for but I guess forewarned is forearmed and I'm quite looking forward to it - shame I couldn't get it a week earlier with the weather front thats heading here at the end of the week - let us know how you get on with your new weather station aswel.

Just an update for anyone who's interested - W/S all set up and synched first time no problems at all. Transmitting data wirelessly through two external walls no problem at all and the heavy weather software is really good - so far so good. I must admit to adding a little silicone gel around the plastic seals of the aenometre just for good luck but everythings going well so far - we'll wait to see what happens after the first storm it has to face (and there'll be one just around the corner- there always is in S Wales). So despite my initial trepidation - recommended so far - will report back again in a month to see if things are still progressing but pleased as punch at the moment. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif