Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dommy

Dangerous Areas Of Ice Directly In Front Of Shops

Why is it that people who own town and city centres leave dangerous areas of ice directly in front of shops?

I walked into my town centre today and found a small narrow path cut into the ice. The people who cut this narrow path had somehow failed to realise that they left a large very slippery and thick layer of ice right in front of shops such as Greggs, etc.

I was literally left terrified to walk on it even though I had good quality walking boots on; I nearly slipped a few times, surely someone at some point during this cold weather has slipped on it.

What used to be fluffy white snow has been left to be trampled on and then to freeze solid in the very low temperatures the UK has had over the last few weeks; what is left is a very hard surface that when fallen on could cause injury and there is no way for people to avoid the ice as it is right outside the doors of many of the commonly used shops such as Greggs, betting shops, etc.

The ice is become so hard that you could easily break a bone or at least become bruised; plus with the path being on a slight incline it makes it even more treacherous.

I could understand it if we had any further snow, but we had a lovely sunny weekend but very little thaw; the town centre owners could have cleared more pathways or at least put some salt on the ice to add grip and loosen it a little.

Pavements are somewhat neglected just the same as minor roads, although it is recognised that it would be an impossible task to clear all pavements and minor roads, which is why we had salt bins but even these have disappeared over the years mainly due to vandalism or people taking too much salt and they become empty very quickly.

Why is it that people who own town and city centres leave dangerous areas of ice directly in front of shops?

I walked into my town centre today and found a small narrow path cut into the ice. The people who cut this narrow path had somehow failed to realise that they left a large very slippery and thick layer of ice right in front of shops such as Greggs, etc.

I was literally left terrified to walk on it even though I had good quality walking boots on; I nearly slipped a few times, surely someone at some point during this cold weather has slipped on it.

What used to be fluffy white snow has been left to be trampled on and then to freeze solid in the very low temperatures the UK has had over the last few weeks; what is left is a very hard surface that when fallen on could cause injury and there is no way for people to avoid the ice as it is right outside the doors of many of the commonly used shops such as Greggs, betting shops, etc.

The ice is become so hard that you could easily break a bone or at least become bruised; plus with the path being on a slight incline it makes it even more treacherous.

I could understand it if we had any further snow, but we had a lovely sunny weekend but very little thaw; the town centre owners could have cleared more pathways or at least put some salt on the ice to add grip and loosen it a little.

Pavements are somewhat neglected just the same as minor roads, although it is recognised that it would be an impossible task to clear all pavements and minor roads, which is why we had salt bins but even these have disappeared over the years mainly due to vandalism or people taking too much salt and they become empty very quickly.

Worrying times for those wishing to have a quick sausage roll before having a flutter :D

I agree though, shops should do more to help in the current conditions.

Call up or [email protected] the local council? i done this for loose paving slaps during summer, and they were fixed! as your concerns are for ice thats a great hazard to everyone, then its right to get it reported, i mean if someone hurts themselfs outside a shop doorway then the owner gets done? im sure claims would be made.

We need ice skates! but once again my thoughts are to the elderly in particular.

I know our local shop entrance is leathal..those little square cobblestones go so slippy. Shop says they can't grit it though, as if someone falls over they can be sued.

Sad really

I can fully understand the sentiments- semi-thawed/refrozen areas of ice, whether caused by temporary changes to less cold weather, half-baked gritting jobs, or people trampling on the snow, are very dangerous. Again the root problem is that in the UK as a nation we are not prepared for this kind of weather- in nations that are more used to it, such well-trodden pathways would normally be cleared.

Kain, you are right, the UK health & safety laws say that if you clear paths you can be sued, whereas in many other countries it is the other way around.

That said, I remember when at my old school the school used to do a half-baked job of salting/gritting pathways and the school yard and the automatic result in any snowy spell would be ice everywhere, so maybe in certain cases that law might not apply.