Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Travel: How Snow Will Affect Your Journey !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Fault in train software leaves them unable to operate in snow and ice !

Rail companies have admitted that a fault in the the computer software on their modern electric trains leaves them unable to operate in snowy and icy conditions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8181494/Fault-in-train-software-leaves-them-unable-to-operate-in-snow-and-ice.html

Sub-zero temperatures are set to return to much of the UK following a temporary reprieve from the big chill.

For all the latest travel information on the roads, trains and planes, see :

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Latest-Travel-Information-Updates-As-Snow-And-Wintry-Weather-Hits-Roads-Trains-Buses-And-Airports/Article/201011415834215?lpos=UK_News_News_Your_Way_Region_1&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15834215_Latest_Travel_Information_Updates_As_Snow_And_Wintry_Weather_Hits_Roads%2C_Trains%2C_Buses_And_Airports

Posted

Bus driver shrugs off snowy hill....

With parts of the UK still slip-sliding away, a video of a bus tackling a snow-covered hill has become an internet hit.

The video below shows the number X4 bus - which covers the Easington to Middlesbrough Bus Station route - negotiating the steep and winding Saltburn Bank on Teeside.

Posted

:excl: Weather Warning For Christmas Getaway !

Heavy snowfall and freezing temperatures are expected to make a timely return :cold:

The weekend has brought milder weather but forecasters are warning Brits to prepare for a cold week ahead.

And by Friday - as most schools break up for the festive holiday - we can expect heavy snow showers and arctic winds.

Sky weather presenter Nazaneen Ghaffar said things will start to get cooler tomorrow.

"We'll start to drag in a Northerly air flow bringing in the cold arctic air.

"For the latter part of the week temperatures will really take a tumble and there will be the risk of heavy snowfall, especially in the East.''

Met Office Chief Forecaster, Bob Wilderspin said: "Colder weather is expected to return next week.

"Northerly winds are predicted to bring a return to cold days and significant overnight frosts."

An AA spokesman said he hoped motorists would be better prepared for the bad weather after the recent treacherous spell.

post-10773-0-09181200-1292159495_thumb.j

Posted

Ho hum , I'm doing Poole to Glasgow on Christmas day, so for me I'm hoping the weather won't affect my journey. :D

Breakfast in Poole, Christmas dinner in Glasgow, I've got me show shoes for the mota, and me feet, plus me snow shuvell

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Hi Folks

London to Rotterdam on the 24th could prove an interesting drive if the next cold snap extends longer than currently forecast. I will certainly be taking the full winter kit with me, and anyone that gets stranded with me will count themselves lucky as I will have an indian takeaway for 4 peole in the car, Christmas tree and presents, so if we get really stuck we can have Christmas dinner in the snow drifts :-)

Mind you I don't think it will be that bad by the time we get to the 24th on current views, but you never know with this winter...

Cheers

FC

Posted

Will probably get nothing in Dunstable, so I should be ok. Although I've got a Freelander with A/T tyres - which I am hoping to test out :good:

Although, I do start a new job in London on 4th Jan, so I'll be part of the commuting masses and will probably be stuck on the 5th Jan if we have a flake or 2. :wallbash:

Posted

This might be worth keeping an eye on for those of you travelling over the next few days

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/

and maybe also consider getting one of these

post-10773-0-88685900-1292275602_thumb.j