Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheeky_monkey

NHL Anyone?

Now that i live in Canada im was a little bit frustrated by the fact it is difficult to watch English footy so i was invited to watch the Edmonton Oilers play in the NHL in one of the plush executive boxe thingies. Now although no quite permier league for excitment and atmosphere i was pleasently surprised as i watched the Oilers thrash St Louis Blues 2-1 in over time that it wasnt as boring as i thought.

Does anybody else watch Ice hockey on here?..ive attahced sum pix of the game if you are interested.

post-2495-0-59194100-1291540544_thumb.jp

post-2495-0-04863500-1291540559_thumb.jp

post-2495-0-30990600-1291540589_thumb.jp

post-2495-0-56688400-1291540607_thumb.jp

post-2495-0-62510900-1291540639_thumb.jp

Does anybody else watch Ice hockey on here?..ive attahced sum pix of the game if you are interested.

Great pictures, you are so lucky to be there and see NHL live and not on the TV it's one of the few sports apart from F1 that I watch - I still go to hockey matches here but not as often as I did 15 years ago when the local team were called the MK Kings (if fact I met my husband at the Planet ice rink !!)

This is the MK EPL team today :

http://www.mk-lightning.com/

Yes I love ice-hockey a thousand times better than Footbal. Guildford flames or Basingstoke Bisons all good :)

Yes I love ice-hockey a thousand times better than Footbal. Guildford flames or Basingstoke Bisons all good :)

Ha, yes regularly visited those rinks for away games in the past !!

My favourites were Sheffield and Nottingham though :)

Apparently Wayne Gretksky (the only ice hockey player i had ever heard of) is an Edmonton Oilers legend they even have one of the main highways through the city named after him..be like renaming the A12 Bobby Moore way.

Ha, yes regularly visited those rinks for away games in the past !!

My favourites were Sheffield and Nottingham though :)

I've been to a couple of Nottingham Panthers games - one was against Hull that got rather vicious (a Hull player had removed a Nottingham player's helmet in a fight and punched the guy's unprotected head against the ice, leaving a pool of blood where he lay), and the other (much happier) being Nottingham's Challenge Cup victory early this year.

It's OK to go and watch now and again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch on TV or anything. Prefer NFL for North American sports...

I've been to a couple of Nottingham Panthers games - one was against Hull that got rather vicious (a Hull player had removed a Nottingham player's helmet in a fight and punched the guy's unprotected head against the ice, leaving a pool of blood where he lay)

It can get vicious, but most fights get broken up pretty quickly and are nothing more than the old jersey over the head trick and a few punches, but I have seen some nasty fights that have resulted in players needing stitches and a delay in play while blood is removed from the ice !!

Nothing as bad as this though.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ&feature=related

Watching the Stanley Cup - its turning into a cracker. 2-2 It can be anyones for the taking. I think Boston will take it with the momentum they have and scoring 12-1 over the last 2 games. Thier goalie is doing a superb job

Rioters smash cars and leap fires along Georgia Street after the Canucks lost

post-10773-0-50623400-1308224346_thumb.j

Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson has described the riots which followed the Canucks' defeat to the Boston Bruins in Game Seven of the Stanley Cup finals as "embarrassing and shameful".

Hundreds of fans went on the rampage in the city centre as Vancouver lost the deciding game 4-0 with vehicles overturned and set alight, tens of buildings having their windows smashed and riot police attacked.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.../#ixzz1PRFFvt6A

Seems people have died also?..and you think sportimg violence is restricted to football :wallbash:

I love Ice Hockey and in my opinion its one of the greatest sports to play and watch. I used to play 20yrs ago and even now I still dreadfully miss playing.

As for watching Ice hockey I used to watch my local team the Peterborough Phantoms and I also used to watch NHL on CH5.

I love Ice Hockey and in my opinion its one of the greatest sports to play and watch. I used to play 20yrs ago and even now I still dreadfully miss playing.

As for watching Ice hockey I used to watch my local team the Peterborough Phantoms and I also used to watch NHL on CH5.

i cant comment on the playing as i have never played..as a spectacle it doesnt come close to football for atmosphere and the passion and knowledge of the fans..also TV has ruined what otherwise would be a good entertaining end to end flow of the game with too many commercial breaks that stops play on the ice.

Mind you my local team the Edmonton Oilers are the West Ham of the NHL finishing bottom again :wallbash: ..although that did entitle them to 1st pick at the draft last week.

i cant comment on the playing as i have never played..as a spectacle it doesnt come close to football for atmosphere and the passion and knowledge of the fans..also TV has ruined what otherwise would be a good entertaining end to end flow of the game with too many commercial breaks that stops play on the ice.

Mind you my local team the Edmonton Oilers are the West Ham of the NHL finishing bottom again :wallbash: ..although that did entitle them to 1st pick at the draft last week.

Im pretty sure that nearly all US sports that are covered on TV are spoilt by commercial breaks.

As for a spectacle and to be honest Ice Hockey isn't as entertaining as it used to be back in the days when I played. The physical side of the game including fights has been toned down. Shame because one of the things I loved about playing was slamming someone into the boards and having a good old fight, I was only 18 though!

They would have been the Peterborough Pirates then, if so I've probably been at the ice rink at the same time as you then when the visiting team was the MK Kings (now Lightning) biggrin.gif

Yes im also an NHL fan. Been watching it on and off for the last 18 years. I follow the Pittsburgh Penguins as i purchased a jersey back in 95 so now thats my team! I live in essex so i go and watch the Chelmsford Chieftains when i can.