Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hoar frost and rime ice thread

Dom W

Have you seen Rime Ice before?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen Rime Ice before?

2. 2. If you have seen Rime ice, where did you see it?

Posted

Beautiful scenes of the hoar/rime frost. Here we were stuck under thick cloud all day which made for a gloomy day with no hoar frost - in fact we had a short snow shower at one point. Only a few miles north east there was brilliant sunshine and hoar frost I am told.

Hoar/rime frost has been notably absent around these parts.

Posted

Hi Guys,

Here is the Hoar frost that decided to form on the soft top of my car - nearly 1 cm long crystals. It was stunning today, with the Blue sky and thick frost.

B)

post-9222-0-87866700-1291676068_thumb.jp

Posted

Amazing frost on Deeside and The Wirral today, Not seen anything like that for many a year. In fact the last time was Boxing Day 1962....

Pete

Posted

Plenty of that rime/fog stuff here today in oxford. and yes a snow shower was mixed in for 10 minutes.! :whistling:

Pictures.. Below.

Mark Neal

Headington Oxford

post-12745-0-39108700-1291678858_thumb.j

post-12745-0-28717200-1291678877_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Frost and Rime Ice form under different conditions:

Frost - Forms directly from the air in other words it changes directly from a vapour to solid, skipping the liquid phase

Rime - Forms when supercooled water droplets in a low cloud, fog or mist contact the very cold surface and freeze on impact; if there is a breeze or a wind it can cause the ice to build up

Edited by Dommy

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

Tried to upload pics but having a problem. I' use photobucket as well and tried that way. Any suggestions anyone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Very rare, used to see it back in my childhood, havent seen it before today.

Posted

Tried to upload pics but having a problem. I' use photobucket as well and tried that way. Any suggestions anyone?

save image to your desktop for convienience, and then press ''add attachement'' just under the bit you type in when making a post; search desktop, add, upload. job done

Posted

Can't really compete with many on this thread, but even South Ockendon, Essex can sparkle! Taken this morning where the temp is currently -2c.

CD

post-13628-0-80347400-1291709484_thumb.j

post-13628-0-02950300-1291709564_thumb.j

Edited by crazy_diamond

Posted

Just beautiful here this morning

post-3321-0-90588600-1291721831_thumb.jp

post-3321-0-79794400-1291721806_thumb.jp

I especially like the first one

Posted

Just been and taken a couple of photos a minute ago as the sun was shining and everything looked beautiful.

hoarfrost8thdec2010002.jpg

hoarfrost8thdec2010003.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Not easy to take pictures in this thick fog here but got one to come out okish.

post-8911-0-49737500-1291728675_thumb.jp

think that by tomorrow morning, we could have had one of the best displays of Rime/Hoar frost that we have had in years and years

Yes its definately the best rime/hoar frost scenes ive ever witnessed especially with the sun coming out today, the countryside is just a magical place to be, anybody depressed should just go for a lovely walk and the beautiful landscape would put a smile to their face.

I really dont get people like richardr and bottesford who are always moaning about cold weather, they really should get out there and enjoy it, there are lots of people in the parks here and walking beside the canal since the cold spell started, people walking their dogs too. its a myth people hate cold weather here in england. there are lots of people enjoying it and smiling, who wants dreary old cloudy mild weather when you can have such amazing days like today.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Here's one from my parents garden on the 9th January this year

DSC00358.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

What a great idea for a thread, I can't add to it but have enjoyed looking at the lovely photo's. thanks for sharing them 8)

Posted

Yes its definately the best rime/hoar frost scenes ive ever witnessed especially with the sun coming out today, the countryside is just a magical place to be, anybody depressed should just go for a lovely walk and the beautiful landscape would put a smile to their face.

I really dont get people like richardr and bottesford who are always moaning about cold weather, they really should get out there and enjoy it, there are lots of people in the parks here and walking beside the canal since the cold spell started, people walking their dogs too. its a myth people hate cold weather here in england. there are lots of people enjoying it and smiling, who wants dreary old cloudy mild weather when you can have such amazing days like today.

why not just post how much you enjoy it Eugene and stop naming people who feel somewhat differently to you.

Its simply not fair for this sort of post in my view. We are all entitled to our viewpoint and for others to respect that view.

Pack in the personal digs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

That is very hypocritical - in Summer you're always looking for a cold, wet day in deep FI; most people would tell you to get out and enjoy any warm, sunny weather in Summer. Personally I love cold and snowy weather, but some people prefer not to feel cold all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Here are a couple I took in Brinton Park in Kidderminster this lunchtime. There were any number of other people with cameras, too! I only had a very basic camera with me, so the quality isn't that good, but hopefully it gives an idea.

post-11296-0-30913300-1291748071_thumb.jpost-11296-0-26344300-1291748083_thumb.j

Edited by Arctic Hare