Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hoar frost and rime ice thread

Dom W

Have you seen Rime Ice before?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen Rime Ice before?

2. 2. If you have seen Rime ice, where did you see it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

There are two types of Rime Ice:

Hard rime is a white ice that forms when the water droplets in fog freeze to the outer surfaces of objects. It is often seen on trees atop mountains and ridges in winter, when low-hanging clouds cause freezing fog. This fog freezes to the windward (wind-facing) side of tree branches, buildings, or any other solid objects, usually with high wind velocities and air temperatures between −2 °C (28 °F) and −8 °C (18 °F).

Soft rime is a white ice deposition that forms when the water droplets in light freezing fog or mist freeze to the outer surfaces of objects, with calm or light wind. The fog freezes usually to the windward side of tree branches, wires, or any other solid objects. Soft rime is similar in appearance to hoar frost; but whereas rime is formed by vapour first condensing to liquid droplets (of fog, mist or cloud) and then attaching to a surface, hoar frost is formed by direct deposition from water vapour to solid ice. A heavy coating of hoar frost, called white frost, is very similar in appearance to soft rime, but the formation process is different: it happens when there is no fog, but very high levels of air relative humidity (above 90%) and temperatures below -8 °C (18 °F).

Edited by Dommy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Rime can form on every part of a tree coating all thin twigs and leafs, i really like this effect and its something ive not seen snow do(coat tiny twigs,leafs) ive only seen a couple of very think rime events, it was jan/feb09 when we had 12f! (-10c)at times through a period, then a freezing fog coated everything lasting all day with rime, temp was around 23/24f(-3/4c) during day of the rime.

Posted

I really love rime ,it is so beautiful when everything is coated ,makes for ace effects..I have seen it a fair bit in cold spells though in my area it is not as common as snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Would this be an example of hard rime then?

DSC00897.jpg

Posted

Have often seen rime ice accumulations on triangulation pillars and other upright structures on hills and mountains. The attached photo is quite a modest example really, from the summit of Beinn a'Chuallaich by Loch Rannoch in Perthshire, but the only one I could find in my photos.

Have often seen rime ice accumulations on triangulation pillars and other upright structures on hills and mountains. The attached photo is quite a modest example really, from the summit of Beinn a'Chuallaich by Loch Rannoch in Perthshire, but the only one I could find in my photos.

post-11625-0-82161500-1291417385_thumb.j

Posted

I think I saw it a couple of years ago during a spell of freezing fog. The trees were coated... It could have been a hoar frost though...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Rime is a feature of most winters here, sometimes, as in Feb' 1986, it can become very thick due to persistent low cloud, strong winds, and the temperature below freezing for days at a time. I've seen 6m tall Thorn trees so weighed down with rime and glaze that branches have become welded to the snow beneath them.

Posted

I cannot believe how amazing the hoar frost is today, we've had no melt and when I left work the temperature was already -5'c and foggy as hell.

There are also 'ice prisms' falling like the clappers everywhere leaving a dusting like snow.

I think that by tomorrow morning, we could have had one of the best displays of Rime/Hoar frost that we have had in years and years, so I thought I'd start this thread for anyone to post their accounts and photos.

I'll post some in a while when I've thawed out.

Posted

Truely wonderful sights around my part of Hertfordshire today, on my way to work, before it totally disappeared under dense fog.

Trees looked absolutely magical, and no camera with me. Bugger.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Little bit of rime up the Galtee Mts on this cross...

post-6901-0-06495900-1291656232_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I think i'll go down to the local park tomorrow morning and take some pictures of it, the grass was white all day today and didn't melt at all, there should be an even thicker layer of frost on it tomorrow morning.

Posted

Rime by streetlight :) Hoping for even better tomorrow as this freezing fog desn't look like it wants to move.

post-203-0-44689400-1291657931_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I wonder if the hoar frost/rime will get even thicker/longer tonight? Its so delicate but extremely beautiful!

Very dense fog with full visibility down to about 20 metres. Hope it might produce some snow flurries like it has done a mile away. :)

Posted

As i was driving to work, the cm long ice crystals were flying off my bonnet, and it look as though it was snowing!

Took a couple of quick pics, i will put them up if i have the time

Paul

Posted

Little bit of rime up the Galtee Mts on this cross...

post-6901-0-06495900-1291656232_thumb.jp

Holy crap! (see wut I did thar?), that looks just like an atom bomb?

Posted

Took a few photos this morning of the frost, but most of them were a bit 'fail', but here's the best of the lot anyway.

rimefrost7thdec2010005.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Rime and hoar....sounds like something Tim Westwood would say.

I've googled, I will keep my eye out for either tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

been amazing here, taken a few photos but very foggy, looks more effective when fog clears, it should clear tomorrow

post-12563-0-38594300-1291665225_thumb.j

post-12563-0-11363400-1291665257_thumb.j

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance