Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul B

World Cup 2018 Bid

Looks like England have failed to win the chance to host the 2018 World Cup.

EDIT: Its gone to Russia.

Looks like England have failed to win the chance to host the 2018 World Cup.

EDIT: Its gone to Russia.

unbelievable.....Russia? one of the most corrupt nations??......Cool, lets have a world cup financed by the russian mafia shall we??

unbelievable.....Russia? one of the most corrupt nations??......Cool, lets have a world cup financed by the russian mafia shall we??

Heh, it gets better, Qatar gets the 2022 World Cup?!

Good good. There's enough football and football hype in the media without this nonsense too.

Disgusting. If this doesn't stink of corruption then nothing will.

It's a shame BBC didn't hold fire til next week but never mind.

Strands to reason, they pay whooping big bribes. Besides its a blessing, we can't afford to host it, there are more important things to pay for than hosting the world cup, and despite the hype, hosting world cups is not a major money spinner, given that they tend to lose money not make it.

England were eliminated in the first round.

BBC and the newspapers are responsible for this

They may have been a factor, but FIFA made sure we didn't get it.

Not surprised that Russia won 2018- the other bidders have hosted too many big tournaments in the recent past (Euro 96, 2000, 2004; Olympics 1992, 2012) and it is nice to see another new host rather than recycling the same old ones over and over again (IMO countries should be limited to once every 60 years). But Qatar? In July? Will make the USA and Mexico tournaments seem like winter ones!

BBC and the newspapers are responsible for this

Bull, they were right to highlight the corruption because thats the truth of the matter, and the fact that its gone to Russia is testement to that.

Not surprised that Russia won 2018- the other bidders have hosted too many big tournaments in the recent past (Euro 96, 2000, 2004; Olympics 1992, 2012) and it is nice to see another new host rather than recycling the same old ones over and over again (IMO countries should be limited to once every 60 years). But Qatar? In July? Will make the USA and Mexico tournaments seem like winter ones!

It needs to be added though, that the russians couldn't even hold a dinner party without 'dirty' money.....or maybe the opposite ie squeaky clean, freshly laundered money!

unbelievable.....Russia? one of the most corrupt nations??......

Well, yes. Exactly. You don't think they 'won' it on merit do you? :rolleyes:

They offered a few million dollars, couple of whores, limos, caviar and a dozen 'missing' tactical nuclear missiles as bribes and what did we do to better their offer? Said if you don't give it to us, Becks will cry ..... :doh:

If Spain/Portugal had won it, I would have been disappointed but understanding. But for Russia and Qatar to win just beggars belief, it really does.

Well, yes. Exactly. You don't think they 'won' it on merit do you? :rolleyes:

They offered a few million dollars, couple of whores, limos, caviar and a dozen 'missing' tactical nuclear missiles as bribes and what did we do to better their offer? Said if you don't give it to us, Becks will cry ..... :doh:

Why the sarcastic one-liner Essan?

From my post and subsequent posts, isnt it obvious that that your suggestion is the last thing I think.....My point was, and still is, is that its a shocking situation that even on the 'grand stage' that corruption in sport is so blatantly obvious!

If Spain/Portugal had won it, I would have been disappointed but understanding. But for Russia and Qatar to win just beggars belief, it really does.

Similar feelings here. I can just about understand Russia winning in 2018, for Summer of 95's reasons (though there are many other arguments as to why England or Spain/Portugal or even Netherlands/Belgium would've been more deserving) but Quatar in 2022 defies belief- any of the other three hosts would almost certainly be miles better!

the fact is that we know that fifa is corrupt and a nice envelope of money from sombody like roman abramovich would help alot.i doubt we were ever going to get the 2018 world cup...

how to buy a world cup bid by Roman abramovich will be in the shops for christmas...

It needs to be added though, that the russians couldn't even hold a dinner party without 'dirty' money.....or maybe the opposite ie squeaky clean, freshly laundered money!

Of course all the English bids and FIFA itself have always been squeaky clean, open and fair (remember when the government pulled Man Utd out of the FA Cup to swan off to some Mickey Mouse tournament of Blatter's in Brazil? Or England going back on the promise NOT to go for 2006 if others voted for them in 96?). Can't surely be any Russian/American/Middle Eastern dirty money swilling round the coffers of English football clubs either, can there, old chaps? :lol: :lol:

I don't think the BBC lost it for us at all, and were, in hindsight, right to come out with it when they did. If they'd have held fire until after we lost, then it would have looked like sour grapes. And if they were right (with the result that stinks of corruption anyway and acceptance speeches pleading that "we won't let you down"), we were never going to get it anyway (and the fact we went out in the first round is proof of that).

Well done BBC - coming out with their claims before the result have probably given their claims more credibility.

Maybe they found David Cameron to oily, David Beckham to dim and Billy Boy to boring. In DCs case hasn’t he got more important work to be doing, I suspect this is another case of a politician playing at being, a man of the people, yawn yawn.

Qatar 2022 is madness, I can understand Russia winning they will put on a good world cup, But for Qatar to get i am shocked i do not no a single player from there the only time ive heard of them in a football sence is that they were once ranked as the worst team in the world,not to mention the heat.

All about money in my opnion i hope that one day it will be a football decision but i will not hold my breath :wallbash:

Of course all the English bids and FIFA itself have always been squeaky clean, open and fair (remember when the government pulled Man Utd out of the FA Cup to swan off to some Mickey Mouse tournament of Blatter's in Brazil? Or England going back on the promise NOT to go for 2006 if others voted for them in 96?). Can't surely be any Russian/American/Middle Eastern dirty money swilling round the coffers of English football clubs either, can there, old chaps? :lol: :lol:

taking a quote out of context?....blimey, you should be a journalist! laugh.gif

nows, back on topic......actually, forget it, I'm back off to the weather threads whistling.gif

Qatar 2022 is madness, I can understand Russia winning they will put on a good world cup, But for Qatar to get i am shocked i do not no a single player from there the only time ive heard of them in a football sence is that they were once ranked as the worst team in the world,not to mention the heat.

All about money in my opnion i hope that one day it will be a football decision but i will not hold my breath :wallbash:

Why not Qatar they have the one thing needed, plenty of cash.

Why not Qatar they have the one thing needed, plenty of cash.

Yes i will not argue with that but as a football fan do i want to watch football from Qatar would of prefered it to go to any of the other bidding countrys in 2022. Qatar is not a hot bed of football and never will be.

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather