Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick L

Carling Cup (Merged)

Now we are at the serious end of the Carling Cup, it might as well have its own thread. The first two quarter finals are tonight, followed by the second two tomorrow:

Arsenal -v- Wigan Athletic

West Ham United -v- Manchester United

Birmingham City -v- Aston Villa

Ipswich Town -v- West Bromwich Albion

All are 7.45pm kick offs.

The obvious favourites are United and Arsenal, although I reckon it's anyone's competition, especially with the big clubs treating this competition as a joke.

You'd have to say Arsenal, Manchester United and West Brom will be in the semi's...wouldn't like to call the Birmingham v Aston Villa match however!

You'd have to say Arsenal, Manchester United and West Brom will be in the semi's...wouldn't like to call the Birmingham v Aston Villa match however!

I would love to play Villa in the semi finals, we would get about 6000 tickets at their dump. I just hope this second city derby is more exciting than the previous one which was awful.

I would love to play Villa in the semi finals, we would get about 6000 tickets at their dump. I just hope this second city derby is more exciting than the previous one which was awful.

Spurs fan here, I think WBA are a great shout to win the League cup this year. As long as you take the competition seriously and play your best team, you are in with a great chance. Ipswich are on a poor run and probably more focused on the Championship.

The only problem being that Arsenal are desperate for silverware (and this is from gooners I know). Are questions finally being asked about Wenger and as a result is he under serious pressure to win something? His one major flaw is that he is a bit too confident and too subjective, will he stick with a younger side that maybe lacks the experience to go on and win the cup? Although they do have the easiest tie of the round, so should breeze past Wigan...... :whistling:

Spurs fan here, I think WBA are a great shout to win the League cup this year. As long as you take the competition seriously and play your best team, you are in with a great chance. Ipswich are on a poor run and probably more focused on the Championship.

The only problem being that Arsenal are desperate for silverware (and this is from gooners I know). Are questions finally being asked about Wenger and as a result is he under serious pressure to win something? His one major flaw is that he is a bit too confident and too subjective, will he stick with a younger side that maybe lacks the experience to go on and win the cup? Although they do have the easiest tie of the round, so should breeze past Wigan...... :whistling:

Pfft, Arsenal? We've beaten them already this season :D

Good to see Manure losing as well, would be a massive boost for the smaller teams if they get dumped out. We've got to beat Ipswich first...YES 2-0 TO WEST HAM!

Man Utd are being "Hammered" by West Ham :D And Arsenal looking on course to beating Wigan, so a perfect night for me football wise... (hopeing for more snow....)

United have been humiliated :lol:

Well that was a thrashing for Manchester United! :D :lol:

Have to say Arsenal are favourites now....especially with Wenger under pressure to deliver a trophy to them.

If Arsenal don't win the Carling Cup this year, we will never win another trophy as long as Wenger is in charge. It's his to lose now, not his to win.

Wenger's main problem over the last few years is his sheer stubborn self-righteousness; he's got this one idea about how football should be played and he would rather play like that at all costs, at the expense of actually winning things. He's so stuck with it that he doesn't have a Plan B, and the more astute managers have worked out how to nullify his teams. It's baffling for me as an Arsenal fan because although the 98, 02 and even 04 sides had their faults (chiefly missing too many chances, cost us the Double in 99), they were rarely anything other than solid in defence, and didn't lose many headers/50/50s in midfield the way the current lot do (that Newcastle game a few weeks ago was like watching jockeys against basketball players!).

And there's the goalkeeping- Fabianski has been better this year, but he wil never be Lehmann let alone Seaman. I believe (from personal feelings, the Arsenal forums and football talk in general) that this is the season when another no-trophy will put the "Wenger Outs" in the majority amongst fans, if not the board. I really hope it doesn't come to that after what he's achieved, but patience is finite even with managers who go seasons unbeaten.

250/1 on Chris Brunt scoring for West Brom and a 0-4 away win - I'll have some of that as Ipswich are probably going to have teenagers playing in central defence.

250/1 on Chris Brunt scoring for West Brom and a 0-4 away win - I'll have some of that as Ipswich are probably going to have teenagers playing in central defence.

250/1?! Where, I might put a cheeky quid on that.

250/1?! Where, I might put a cheeky quid on that.

WIlliam Hill mate.

WIlliam Hill mate.

Good job I didn't take that bet, Brunt isn't even in the 18:

ALBION (4-2-3-1): Myhill; Hurst, Meite, Ibanez, Cech; S Reid, Dorrans; Barnes, Cox, Tchoyi; Fortuné. Subs: Carson (gk), Tamas, Morrison, Thomas, Miller, Jara, Berahino.

So 9 changes, but Dorrans and Tchoyi will cause problems.

Good job I didn't take that bet, Brunt isn't even in the 18:

ALBION (4-2-3-1): Myhill; Hurst, Meite, Ibanez, Cech; S Reid, Dorrans; Barnes, Cox, Tchoyi; Fortuné. Subs: Carson (gk), Tamas, Morrison, Thomas, Miller, Jara, Berahino.

So 9 changes, but Dorrans and Tchoyi will cause problems.

D'oh what an epic fail! :lol:

D'oh what an epic fail! :lol:

You're firmly on top right now by the sounds of it, should be 2-0 up.

You're firmly on top right now by the sounds of it, should be 2-0 up.

Yeah, it seems like the players are playing for Keane even though most of the fans have lost faith in him. Apparently the line markings on the pitch are blue tonight!

Yeah, it seems like the players are playing for Keane even though most of the fans have lost faith in him. Apparently the line markings on the pitch are blue tonight!

Yes I heard that, smart idea!

And pleased to see Blues beating Villa :)

Bloody hell, we are all over the place at the moment :unsure:

Yes I heard that, smart idea!

And pleased to see Blues beating Villa :)

Bloody hell, we are all over the place at the moment :unsure:

It sounds like its back to a more familiar problem for Ipswich, failing to convert chances. I'm just happy to hear them having a go instead of sitting back and being defensive all the time.

HT and 0-0 which I'd have taken before kick off given the team we have out. Sounds like Ipswich have played well and should have scored at least a couple. Now watch West Brom punish us in the second half. Also nice to see Keane showing some passion for the cause as well

"Poor fourth official Darren Deadman at Portman Road. Ipswich are convinced they should have a penalty when Boaz Myhill appears to bring down Town striker Tamas Priskin - but referee Michael Jones is having none of it. With play waved on, Deadman may fear he'll soon live up to his name as a furious Roy Keane tears in at him on the touchline. Ouch." From BBC Sport

HT and 0-0 which I'd have taken before kick off given the team we have out. Sounds like Ipswich have played well and should have scored at least a couple. Now watch West Brom punish us in the second half. Also nice to see Keane showing some passion for the cause as well

You've been all over us. But we usually play much better in the 2nd half.

We're going to lose this, I can feel it.

We really are playing dreadfully, I'm angry with our performance so far.

We really are playing dreadfully, I'm angry with our performance so far.

Don't worry, our genius of a manager ( :rolleyes: ) has just given you a helping hand by taking off one of the players (Townsend) that caused you a lot of problems tonight.

Just over 11,000 (1,000+ WBA fans) there tonight, sums up how many Ipswich supporters feel about Keane and ITFC at the moment with many staying away as a protest.

Don't worry, our genius of a manager ( :rolleyes: ) has just given you a helping hand by taking off one of the players (Townsend) that caused you a lot of problems tonight.

Just over 11,000 (1,000+ WBA fans) there tonight, sums up how many Ipswich supporters feel about Keane and ITFC at the moment with many staying away as a protest.

Told you...