Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wet'n'Dry

What Vehicles

Earlier this year I noticed the most vehicles ending up in ditches at the side of the road during snowy conditions were 4X4's

These were joined by BMW's and Mercedes, all RWD's

One things for sure, if I owned a car worth a quarter of my house I would learn to drive it properly!

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/winter-motoring-guide/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155353066

A snow covered winter wonderland is the last thing most motorists want to see when pulling back the curtains in the morning. It could be worse, you might find that your car has spontaneously combusted in the night or that Godzilla is in town and using your grandmother as a toothpick but of the likely scenarios, snow is about as bad as it gets.

Why? Because you just know that driving to where you need to go is set to become so much more problematic than it would otherwise have been. UK roads don't cope very well when it snows and part of the reason is that UK drivers don't either. We can be forgiven to an extent because across the majority of the country, snow is a rare occurrence and driving in it an experience we're not used to. That leeway only stretches so far though and some small changes in our attitudes and approaches to driving in snow could pay dividends.

bentley-ice-driving-01.jpg

http://www.exclusivelifestyle.co.uk/ultimate-experiences/bentley-power-on-ice-driving.html

Earlier this year I noticed the most vehicles ending up in ditches at the side of the road during snowy conditions were 4X4's

One things for sure, if I owned a car worth a quarter of my house I would learn to drive it properly!

Around here big 4x4's are used mostly for shopping and the school run. X5's are invariably company cars and M series Merc's are town run-arounds. Range Rovers tend to be the sport variety one takes to the golf club but are so passe, one must have the brain of a wag to consider being seen in it. Disco's, Land Cruiser's, Cherokee's, Shogun's smack of 'me-too' desperation. I can hardly bring myself to mention the council estate Freelanders variety. Quite why any company wants to align themselves with such vulgaity escapes me.

Lunch Dwahling?

Yeah, it's a common joke in the pub here, the number of people in X3s and X5s who can't even get out of their drives, whereas those in clapped out old Toyota pick-ups and Landrovers can get around pretty much without problems. Personnally speaking we've got an ancient knackered old Toyota Lucida people carrier which happens to be 4WD, but even though it's automatic has coped with everything thrown at it so far.

Crossovers are not proper 4x4's in the strictest sense of the word, a problem that is getting worse as they try to cater to the school run market more and more.

Without proper yaw controls / tyres and such for the job then they aren't going to work as well as a proper off roader like a (proper) range rover or land rover will.

Lets be honest, if you want to keep going this winter there is only one vehicle and that's a Landy Defender short wheelbase (with or without winch!) :clap:

4226241546_46408c7677.jpg

106705877_af82976939.jpg

801081_1_full.jpg

0.jpg

Very good landys, but i've seen so many stuck in the pennines.....They're only good as the person driving them, usually cocky folk in landys.

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather