Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest Sustained End Of November That I Can Recall

mike Meehan

Posted

CET 24/11/10-28/11/10 = -0.48C

Big fall again tomorrow, perhaps less of a fall for Wednesday.

In any event, the record for the coldest last week of November is going to be smashed into little pieces.

Posted

Based on official figures the period 24/11/10-29/11/10 was -1.11C. Just waiting for the official figure for the 30th to be confirmed, however given that the official minimum for the 30th was -3.3C, I think we can safety say that the last week in November 2010 was the coldest in CET history by what is statistically some considerable distance.

Posted

From the outside looking in, this spell looks amazing really. A bit like our november climate might be with no north Atlantic Drift or something. Payback time for all that disgusting mildness forcasted with such undisguised glee by Sian Lloyd throughout the 90's

gives hope for future winters this, and you can now believe cold spells when they are modelled and predicted

Posted

The last time November showed comparable temperatures was 1993, the only other major one in fact

It was a touch earlier, 18-25th with a mean max of 2.4C and air frost on 8 nights, snow on 5 days(don't know any depths but certainly nothing like this November) and 11 air frosts.

This November=last 6 days and mean max=2.0C with frost each night,a total of 10 in the month, snow on all 6 days with depth from 2-5cm until the evening of 30th when a further 12-13cm fell in a little under 7 hours.

So this November is the snowiest and about par with 1993 for cold but 2 days less.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I don't think you can compare 1993 with this frankly John...

1993 was cold for sure, but as Stu said this weekh as just set a brand new record for the coldest end to November ever. I'm not sure what 1993 averaged at its peak but I'm pretty certain its not as cold as this week has been thats for sure...there are probably a handful of cold spells in the last 200 years in November that can compete with this, its pretty much exceptional...

1993 came out at about 0.3C between the 18th-25th...very cold indeed for the end of November...but still not a patch on the last week of November 2010 as Stu's figures show!

Just can't say its on par with 1993 cold wise...bit like saying 2009-2010 was on par with 1946-47 frankly :p

Posted

Temperature-wise, like John's figures, the period 18-25th November 1993 (1.0C) and 24th-30th November 2010 (0.4C) are pretty comparable in this location, so theres truth to what he's saying. The problem is in areas that are under the effect of the easterly wind and moderating effect of the North Sea, even in an easterly as potent as this maxima often reach 1-2C and very low minima are rare. Both 1993 and 2010 managed a single night under slack winds when minima dipped. However when it comes to maxima, 23rd November 1993 (Max 0.2C) beats the lowest of the last 7 days of November 2010 (1.7C on the 29th).

Thats were the similarities stop though. For snowfall, November 1993 had 3 days of snow falling and 6 days cover at 0900. This compared to 2010 which saw 7 days falling and 6 days cover. The accumulations have also been much more in 2010 aswell.

Posted

Very true Reef, still you guys being on the east coast isn't really a fair measure because as the offical stats show this has been quite some way colder then even the 1993 cold plunge...the fact we beat the record by something like 0.7C really says it all about how exceptional this week has been, a record that has stood for over 200 years.

I believe in fact there has only been one 7 day period ever in November that was colder, though I can't remember which days those are. Also its worth remember adjustments may well tip us even below that yet...

1993 was impressive from what I've seen...but 2010 probably would go down as one of the best cold shots in November ever I'd imagine...