Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blitzen

North Korea Fires Artillery At South Korean Island?

this is sounding quite serious..

200 shells were fired at South Korea

70 houses on fire

14 soldiers injured

Makes you wonder how South Korea will get out of this one without causing escalation?

Makes you wonder how South Korea will get out of this one without causing escalation?

Russia and China calling for a halt..

One soldier dead reported with many seriously

North Korea are pretty stupid as South Korea has the whole of the western world on there side, the north is the only country in the world that is not mapped!

North Korea are pretty stupid as South Korea has the whole of the western world on there side, the north is the only country in the world that is not mapped!

yes but the Super power China side with N.Korea :bomb::help:

These days China is a force to be reckoned with

They reckon within 10-20 yrs China will be the number one superpower

also forget about China USA ect...Korea have a nuclear capability....Only takes a few war heads to kick off WWIII...

obviously worse case scenario

This won't go anywhere but is a clear indication of a new leadership emerging in NK.

China are seriously embarassed and constantly infuriated by the antics of North Korea and would love nothing better than rid themselves of this global pariah.

The only thing stopping them is the fear of an integrated Korea siding with the west which would mean air bases, missile systems, radar (you get the picture) on the Chinese border.

That would be game changing for their long term strategy to take back Taiwan, various Japanese islands and domination of the South China Seas.

Hence, they cannot allow war and will do everything they can to contain the situation. Through globalisation, China has too much to lose.

China cannot also match the US militarily, war would mean humiliation but not escalation to nuclear. Even the Chinese can see that path is madness.

With a 30,000 strong US military separating the north and south, America will not allow the south to physically go to war even though technically they are at war. The American public have no stomach for vast numbers of body bags nor the cost in such times of austerity when 10% are out of work with 100's of thousands about to lose state support benefits.

NK knows all of this and is a master of manipulation. Thus provocation by a show of force is an internal political move to clear the way for Jong Ills son (who was recently promoted to supreme commander of the military) as the logical person to take over the dynasty. i.e. China will slap their wrists (privately), diplomatically they will call for calm and diffuse the tensions on the international stage.

In the meantime, the NK leadership will milk the propaganda that their new dear military leader whupped the South, China remains their great ally and protector and proves justification for the expense of the new nuclear deterrent. The impotent, crumbling America and the rest of the failing capitalist world can do nothing about it.

Long live the new dear leader.

Status Quo.

ffO.

I hope China will eventually see sense and fully criticise this vile little country. Could turn into a very nasty situation.

Let China invade it problem solved...

Let China invade it problem solved...

Ha ha. Very funny.

China won't sacrifice lives to impress or placate the US or the west any more than America would stop printing money.

The immense cost and logistics of integrating NK and the hundreds of thousands of refugees spilling over the border is not something China will contemplate.

It would also raise the stakes with a shift in the regions balance of power. Japan would feel very threatened and may well spark a Pacific-Rim nuclear arms race.

One pain in the neck risk would be replaced with something more sinister and deadly.

China won't invade and neither will they allow NK to implode. Too much at stake for them.

ffO.

I'm waiting for PP to pop up saying North Korea is wonderful haha

Did you not watch the CNN report you posted?

No. Was just reading this morning.

Have watched it now but I still think the situation is unsettling. Okay they have been carrying out exercises within that area for years, but we now have an iminent change of leadership? Yes this was all arranged way back in July but the situation is a tad more volatile now dont you think? I am not sure that it is worth taking the risk with such a NK itchy trigger finger at the moment! Why there, why now, given the situation? Some restraint required until things settle down a bit I think.

We could send Oon out and North Korea would shell Germany instead. :) :)

Pity theres no oil in North Korea. USA could make a deal with China and then invade while china forgets to provide arms.

Everybody should read this timeline. It was collected by a friend of mine, and it's all from mainstream news reports:-

http://mrnevermore.b...nstruction.html

I love how the latest TV news is making it seem like only NOW they're sending the USS George Washington NUCLEAR aircraft carrier to the korean peninsula; when they actually did it several months ago.

In other news....China and Russia drop the dollar in bilateral trade:-

http://www.marketwat...rade-2010-11-23

Everybody should read this timeline. It was collected by a friend of mine, and it's all from mainstream news reports:-

http://mrnevermore.b...nstruction.html

I love how the latest TV news is making it seem like only NOW they're sending the USS George Washington NUCLEAR aircraft carrier to the korean peninsula; when they actually did it several months ago.

In other news....China and Russia drop the dollar in bilateral trade:-

http://www.marketwat...rade-2010-11-23

Not really, I read it on BBC a few days ago.

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather