Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jane Louise

Winter Weatherlore

Hi all,:)

How many of you go by the signs of nature or Winter weather lore for winter time? I am a great believer in this so have started a topic where we can all post up any well known sayings that we know of.

Here's a few to start off :

A cold November means a mild, wet winter

Halo around the sun or moon, rain or snow soon

A serene autumn denotes a windy winter

If the summer be rainy, the following winter will be severe

Much fog in autumn, much snow in winter

I dont know any myself..

apart from red sky at night...but thats not winter is it?

Yes, I would say that this more or less refers to all year round. will find some more today.

My Mother used to say, ice in November to bear a duck nothing to follow but slush and muck.

SS2

My Mother used to say, ice in November to bear a duck nothing to follow but slush and muck.

SS2

Yes,the old Yorkshire saying 'Ice in November to bear a duck, the rest of winter nowt but slush and muck' has proved to be one of the most reliable of the old weather lore sayings.

Good idea i am to look through my weather books...

Thanks nimbilus :)I will dig out some of mine too from my weather lore books when I can.

Yes,the old Yorkshire saying 'Ice in November to bear a duck, the rest of winter nowt but slush and muck' has proved to be one of the most reliable of the old weather lore sayings.

I'm going to be a pedant (or a prat :lol: ) here, JL...It's because nine-out-of-ten winters are mild and nine-out-of-ten Novembers have at least one heavy frost???

How's the you btw?? :D

I'm going to be a pedant (or a prat :lol: ) here, JL...It's because nine-out-of-ten winters are mild and nine-out-of-ten Novembers have at least one heavy frost???

How's the you btw?? :D

Yes lol :lol: I be very well thank you Mr Tattum. Hope yer well yourself.:)

Yes lol :lol: I be very well thank you Mr Tattum. Hope yer well yourself.:)

The me is fine, Ms JL, I'm looking forward to some snow...You're not still living in a tent, I hope?? :cold::cold::cold::cold:

Lol, no tent anymore :D.I don't think I could handle it. Got a nice house now and everyone's wonderful :) Waiting for snow now I never had much luck with storms in the summer lol.

Theirs a page in the daily express paper-9th dec thursday-on this subject. check the online version. Search as this thread title maybe?