Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

Switching Allegiances

As many of you know, I've been a loyal and passionate supporter of Ipswich since I was a boy. I had a season ticket between 1976 and 1990 (when I left home), and have attended upwards of 500 matches, home and away, in England and across Europe. Never did I think the day would come when I started to lose interest in Town. But, since Marcus Evans took over, and the appointment of Roy Keane, I've started to lose touch with what used to be a really close-knit club. It's not just because I live hundreds of miles away, because when Burley was in charge, I'd still head to Portman Road many times a season, and take in as many away matches as I feasibly could. This is simply because the club don't seem to have a link to the fans any more, and it always set Ipswich apart. Perhaps it's because we're so utterly uninspiring at the moment, and if we looked like getting back into the Premier League, things might be different, but I'm not sure.

Tomorrow night, I've got tickets for Carlisle v Rochdale, and I'm taking some kids from school (including my son) who've been given them as a reward for doing well in a biathlon recently. I'm really excited....for Carlisle v Rochdale!!! I've watched Carlisle many times, but I'm starting to get that sense of anticipation that I used to get before going to Portman Road. I quite fancy the idea of popping along to Brunton Park every fortnight, particularly if they still do the Brunton pasty.

I just wondered if anyone's managed to really switch allegiances over the years?

As many of you know, I've been a loyal and passionate supporter of Ipswich since I was a boy. I had a season ticket between 1976 and 1990 (when I left home), and have attended upwards of 500 matches, home and away, in England and across Europe. Never did I think the day would come when I started to lose interest in Town. But, since Marcus Evans took over, and the appointment of Roy Keane, I've started to lose touch with what used to be a really close-knit club. It's not just because I live hundreds of miles away, because when Burley was in charge, I'd still head to Portman Road many times a season, and take in as many away matches as I feasibly could. This is simply because the club don't seem to have a link to the fans any more, and it always set Ipswich apart. Perhaps it's because we're so utterly uninspiring at the moment, and if we looked like getting back into the Premier League, things might be different, but I'm not sure.

Tomorrow night, I've got tickets for Carlisle v Rochdale, and I'm taking some kids from school (including my son) who've been given them as a reward for doing well in a biathlon recently. I'm really excited....for Carlisle v Rochdale!!! I've watched Carlisle many times, but I'm starting to get that sense of anticipation that I used to get before going to Portman Road. I quite fancy the idea of popping along to Brunton Park every fortnight, particularly if they still do the Brunton pasty.

I just wondered if anyone's managed to really switch allegiances over the years?

I was having a similar struggle myself One Nil, I was a season ticket holder at West Ham for ten years but financially and family commitments meant it was no longer feasible. I still went to occasional games but during the Zola era became totally disillusioned with the club, they seemed to had lost the family feel and i did not feel I belonged their anymore. This season I decided to take my son (even though he's an Arsenal fan) who has a disability to west ham and found them to be really unhelpful and rude when inquiring about facilities for disabled supporters.

Feeling really let down again I approached Arsenal and they could not of been any more helpful...... To cut a long story short we have only missed two home games this season and I too have got that old feeling back.

Watching Arsenal beat West ham saddened me a little but not as much as I expected and although it pains me to say it I do appear to be more a gooner than a hammer now!

And if you ask me now who I support the answer would be the Arsenal.....Hope my story will be of some help to you.

Thanks - good to know I'm not alone. I wonder if it might prove easier switching allegiances to Arsenal than it will be to Carlisle, although Carlisle are considered the Arsenal of Cumbria (north).

I don't think I've managed to switch allegiances from my absolute favourite football sides, or competitors in other sports, but I've certainly had near approaches.

In football the nearest approach is Arsenal (quite amusing looking at the above posts!), I used to hate them until 2004 because they are a London side but since then they have firmly established themselves as my favourite of the top teams, although I don't support them as fervently as Sunderland.

In snooker I used to hate Stephen Hendry when he was winning everything in sight and beating Jimmy White in successive finals, including an agonising one in 1994, but that changed abruptly around 1997/98 when he stopped winning everything. I don't think I'd ever support him against Jimmy, but he has established himself as one of my favourite players ever since.

Sometimes my allegiances can fluctuate repeatedly- Fernando Alonso in F1 and Ronnie O'Sullivan in snooker are stark examples of people that I've both supported and disliked intermittently over the years. Ayrton Senna in the early 1990s was another one.

Strange you should bring this up OON, as I am going through something similar...except that I am switching sports! As you know I am an Ipswich fan as well, and until last season I was a season ticket holder at Portman Road. Now whilst I gave up my season ticket primarily because I've moved to Lancashire, I wasn't even the slightest bit sad to be giving it up because the enjoyment had gone out of watching them, and if I hadn't been moving then the chances are that I still would not have renewed my season ticket.

Nowadays I find rugby (both union and league) far more exciting and enjoyable to watch, and I think part of it is down to rugby still holding some of the traditional values that football has lost so many of. You have players and fans who respect each other, you have players who respect officials, its cheaper and there's few, if any, prima dona's around.

I'm even at the stage with football and Ipswich now where I'm not bothered about next weekend's derby against Norwich, and I am having to seriously consider if I even want to go and watch Ipswich play at Preston in 3 weeks time - whereas before it wouldn't have even needed thinking about. People have probably noticed my lack of posts in the Championship forum this season when compared to previous seasons, and the above is why. When I go back to Suffolk for Christmas I have no plans to go and watch Ipswich, the desire simply isn't there. I think a lot of it is due to the reasons you mention...the club have alienated the fans since an invisible man took over and football is so expensive nowadays. But its not just to do with Ipswich, I don't watch a quarter of the football I used to, the game as a whole is just less appealing to me nowadays.

Rooney is the epitomy of everything that is wrong with the modern version of association football. And that ridiculous rule which sees players booked for celebrating a goal.

Rooney is the epitome of everything that is wrong with evolution.

I think Paul's right about football in general. Perhaps it's Carlisle being a "lower league" club which appeals, because it seems a bit more genuine? I'll see tomorrow night after 90 minutes spent freezing my balls off watching a 0-0 draw.

I grew up as an Evertonian and although I married a Liverpool supporter I had no intention of ever changing allegiance. Then, one day in 2001, I found myself peeking out from behind my hands as Liverpool took part in a penalty shootout to decide the Worthington Cup final ( I think), and I knew I was converted.

As man and boy I supported one of the big London clubs primarily because my Father came from London and to get up his nose I supported a club from the "other side of the river".

The change came for me I suppose sometime around the premier league formimg and all the highly paid overseas players arriving but, culminated when at one game there was not one englishman playing for my team. It was at that point that I re-evaluated why I was supporting them and accepted that it was only because of the glamour and success they could offer.

Have been happily supporing Northampton Town and the Saints (rugby) for some years now and fame and disappointment have followed in not so equal measures.

I am always impressed by the commitment of players, club and fans at a local level.

I don't think you you can switch can you ?......it would be cheaper fr me to watch wrexham or shrewsbury where I was born but I've always been a Derby fan through thin and thin :) a season ticket holder for the last 12 years caus I've been able to afford it...just....gone through bankruptcy in that time and just about managed to hold on to it thanks to a very very understanding fantastic Mrs .....always been a 160 mile round to pride park to and boy have they been some miserable drives ..the prem season :80:

so could I change my loyalty .....not a chance :D

I would never change my loyalty to West Brom, although I can understand why some people would change.

However, I am starting to lose my faith in professional football itself, I still love it, but I am starting to edge towards wanting to switch to non-league football.

Appoint Tony Mowbray back as manager, and he might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Be careful what you wish for...

Championship he's alright, but if he ever gets you into the Premier League DITCH HIM at all costs.

He'll be doing well to get Ipswich into the Premier League!

Looking forward to tonight's match. It's been a few years since I last had pneumonia.

I must admit that I have an unusual "allegiance" problem regarding the North East teams- I support Sunderland but my second team is Newcastle United, which is almost unheard of in the North East. So if Sunderland are doing badly and/or playing dour football, and Newcastle are vice versa, I can end up switching allegiance to Newcastle quite easily- e.g. Newcastle were my first team during the Kevin Keegan (mid 1990s) era and intermittenly during the Bobby Robson era also. It hasn't happened since Sir Bobby left Newcastle though.

I used to got some Shef Wednesday games yet seeing them lose never upset me. I found it quite amusing. I then went to watch the Blades and boy did I enjoy it and the atmosphere. Since then the atmosphere at football grounds is dying. Very rare for any away fans too travel in large numbers these days so there's no banter. The terraces seem to be more full of happy clappers each year. Stewards walk around telling people to shut up and sit down yet at the same time the club complains of zero atmosphere.

Thoroughly enjoyed the match tonight, and had almost forgotten what it felt like to be made to feel welcome at a ground. Fantastic bacon sarnies, but as for the football.......ooo dear. How I spent the last half hour, after Rochdale had equalised, not realising Carlisle had had a player sent off, I'll never know.

I don't think I've managed to switch allegiances from my absolute favourite football sides, or competitors in other sports, but I've certainly had near approaches.

In football the nearest approach is Arsenal (quite amusing looking at the above posts!), I used to hate them until 2004 because they are a London side but since then they have firmly established themselves as my favourite of the top teams, although I don't support them as fervently as Sunderland.

In snooker I used to hate Stephen Hendry when he was winning everything in sight and beating Jimmy White in successive finals, including an agonising one in 1994, but that changed abruptly around 1997/98 when he stopped winning everything. I don't think I'd ever support him against Jimmy, but he has established himself as one of my favourite players ever since.

Sometimes my allegiances can fluctuate repeatedly- Fernando Alonso in F1 and Ronnie O'Sullivan in snooker are stark examples of people that I've both supported and disliked intermittently over the years. Ayrton Senna in the early 1990s was another one.

Always been an Arsenal fan, will never change; remember losing to Wrexham and still shudder at the memory of that Nayim goal.

In other sports, and switching "least favourites"- well that's much easier! I found Michael Schumacher exciting to watch the first season he won it, pretty good the second, downright tedious by the 6th. I despised everything Man Utd for most of the 1990s and early 2000s; but if I'm honest I'd rather they won the league than Chelsea now.

Just wish those boring-as-hell Williams sisters would retire though.

Thoroughly enjoyed the match tonight, and had almost forgotten what it felt like to be made to feel welcome at a ground. Fantastic bacon sarnies, but as for the football.......ooo dear. How I spent the last half hour, after Rochdale had equalised, not realising Carlisle had had a player sent off, I'll never know.

Seen that at the lane quiet a few times in recent years.

Watching Arsenal beat West ham saddened me a little but not as much as I expected and although it pains me to say it I do appear to be more a gooner than a hammer now!

And if you ask me now who I support the answer would be the Arsenal.....Hope my story will be of some help to you.

judas!!!...lol

i have been a West Ham fan man and boy..they have always been good with my 2 boys..although i didnt go much post 2005 because of work commitments and cost and now live in Canada seems more remote than ever. I would never dream of supporting anyone else..i have been to Arsenal Spurs Chelsea etc but they are followed by a large % of fairweather fans who are not real...cant remember the last spell of fairweather at Upton Park but still a full house week in week out not a prawn mucher in sight!

Still everyone has a second team and mine is Exeter City

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather