Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stevenson Screen

Andy B

I am producing reasonably priced "Casella" type Stevenson Screens. They are built by me a retired university craftsman/engineer. At £395, they are beautifully made - if I say so my self - from quality redwood with yellow pine slats. All the nails are brass and the rest of the fittings are either brass or stainless steel. They are painted with four coats of paint (1.5 Litres ). See my ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=260695819544

I am producing reasonably priced "Casella" type Stevenson Screens. They are built by me a retired university craftsman/engineer. At £395, they are beautifully made - if I say so my self - from quality redwood with yellow pine slats. All the nails are brass and the rest of the fittings are either brass or stainless steel. They are painted with four coats of paint (1.5 Litres ). See my ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=260695819544

Do they contain the thermometers Andy B and if not where can they be purchased? A lovely item - what length of life would you give it in our Climate? I have added to my Watch List on Ebay for future consideration.

Edited by andrew.nixon@lineone.net

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Do they contain the thermometers Andy B and if not where can they be purchased? A lovely item - what length of life would you give it in our Climate? I have added to my Watch List on Ebay for future consideration.

The thermometers can be bought from Casella or Munro amongst others, just type into a search engine,, they are about £85 each though.

With regard to length of life, I've had a screen since 1967 which is still going strong although it has been well maintained ( painted externally almost every year after the first 5 years of life, and internally about every 4 years )

The screen looks first class. Could you give me the external dimensions from leg to leg? I already have one screen on an angle iron stand and need to know whether or not yours would fit the existing stand.

Thanks, T.M

Andrew,

This is just the screen - temperature sensing instruments need to be supplied - I think the screen should last 10/15 years if looked after but this is dependent on location of course.

In answer to TMs question - the distance outside the legs of this screen is 467mm x 287mm but I could build a screen to fit your existing frame. Oh - on a good note the price is wrong

should be £295 - sorry.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Very nice and tempting, what stand would fit it, do you have a link to a suitable stand, many thanks?

I used to own one which my then Father-in-law built in 1985, it lasted until around 2000, unfortunately I never painted it enough though. Great for reliable temperatures and I still have the thermometers and hygrometer, and could fit in the WS2300 sensor I reckon.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

This one for instance:

Screen stand

The stand is quite simple, just some 1 1/2" steel angle with some cross bracing painted black or galvanised if you can. I could make that as well but they are a bit heavy to ship. Send me your email and I'll send you a drawing, if that would help.

Andy

Posted

The stand is quite simple, just some 1 1/2" steel angle with some cross bracing painted black or galvanised if you can. I could make that as well but they are a bit heavy to ship. Send me your email and I'll send you a drawing, if that would help.

Andy

Thanks, not sure it would prove simple for me thoughcc_confused.gif