• Scandanavian Them
    • Artic Theme
    • Battleground Snowfall
    • Mild and Dry
    • Dull and Chilly
    • Chilly but with the risk of snow
    • Windy, Wet, Balmy

Posted

Following the build-up of the forthcoming cold snap, it seems that some people believe that the cold weather will vanish during early December which would lead to an Atlantic Driven December. However, the Met Office are indicating the cold spell to last up to 19th December and some individuals believe that the cold weather could last to Xmas Day. What I find very unclear is how long the snap will last, will there be extensive lying snow and would it last to Christmas Day. In my opinion, I think the Atlantic theme in early December may not be a bad thing as it would allow the cold weather further east and north to develop again and perhaps later in the month arrive on our shores again. Anyway Will it be A White Christmas or a Misreable one you decide. Also explain your choice : would the cold last to Christmas or the cold will fight its way back.

Posted

Snow falling on Xmas day, mainly Scotland, Eastern England (NE England too).

Wintery showers falling as snow for the east midlands too.

5cm of snow in places during xmas day, thats my guess.

Posted

http://globalcoolingnewiceageuk.blogspot.com/

This guy seems to think that this winter is going to be a cold one. One of his factors is the Gulf Stream. Personally I see no evidence in our weather which suggests that the Gulf Stream has weakened. The movement and behaviour of the jet stream is an uncertity and the jet stream is vital to wether to our weather on Xmas Day. Does anybody know where the Jet Stream is likely to be by Christmas Day.

You can check out this site but I think his prediction about this winter is nonsense.

Got to mention that last Christmas was probably the best I've ever seen weather wise. 2000 was also a good one with extensive snow. 2010 - There is a chance for a White Christmas for Glasgow but It probably won't be the same as ie 2009. More like 2004.

Posted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8424432.stm

This link shows Christmases when lying snow was recorded before 9am on the Day. Does anybody know how many Weather Stations observed lying on snow at 9am last Christmas. Fingers Crossed for more of the same for the future.

Can't understand "Metcheck" for their Christmas forecast they have the emphasis of a white Christmas being mostly in the west and the north giving a 30% chance in County Cork and most of west Ireland, Cornwall and Devon whilst south middle England only has a 10% chance, though Lincolnshire and further north along the east coast the chances improve to 30%.

At the same time other forecasts are placing the emphasis more to the east.

Overall I think the battleground scenario is the best because although we may have some snowfall in mid December, extending towards Christmas with a mild incursion just before, some parts of the UK are still likely to be under influence of the cold as the mild conditions spread north, therefore the UK is likely to be under two different air masses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

went for 2nd one, mild and wet, the cold is coming too soon for a cold Xmas at least here, Scotland mind you may well be different

my prediction is a low centred over N England, mild in south and midlands, snowfests and -15 upper air over Scotland, battleground scenario

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Generally Calm and clear and cold. However, very cold in places and some areas will have lying snow [not necessarily hilly or mountainous regions] hence I voted for that scenario. HP very nearby in northern quadrant,

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

I've voted for crisp, sunny and cold, which I think is the most realistic option (out of the ones I like!)

I'd love to see a white Christmas, but from a selfish point of view would prefer no disruption on the big day because I need to drive to my mum's house for dinner!! Lying snow from the day before would be a nice touch though. Certainly don't want to see wet and windy but I've a feeling we're probably overdue a zonal Christmas.

It would be hard to beat last year's events: woke up to sub-zero temperatures and had to negotiate several crashed cars trying to drive down my wife's dad's ungritted estate road. Shortly after arriving home in the evening to watch the telly, the power was tripped twice by lightning.