Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Books

k19

Posted

I find the netweather guides very usedul and appreciate the effort that has gone into them, but I would like a book of some sort ( at a relatively basic level). I was wondering if anybody knows of good books for beginner meteorology?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

got loads of weather books, one called the wrong kind of snow by Antony woodward and robert penn, the book of clouds by john A Day,

guiness book of weather and facts, weather lore by leslie alan horvitz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Two of the best I can think of are both old but both classics.

The first is 'Climate and the British Scene' by Gorden Manley and the second is 'Meteorology and Climatology' by E.S Gates.

Another good one is 'Britain's Weather. Its workings, Lore and Forecasting' by David Bowen

And not forgetting 'Climates of the British Isles' edited by Mike Hulme and Elaine Barrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I have one for my Meteorology course which covers a lot of the basics, Meteorology Today by Ahrens.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meteorology-Today-International-Donald-Ahrens/dp/0495555746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290043133&sr=8-1

Not cheap, but it is a recommended textbook for my "Introduction to Meteorology" module, and I think it's brilliant.

Posted

More for fun than learning, this one has weather events from history, to cover every day of the year:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wrong-Kind-Snow-Antony-Woodward/dp/0340937874

Posted

try this link

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/105

No 7 is excellent but perhaps a touch advanced so just check the other titles out.

No 9 might fit the bill for a starter?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Thanks for the great help everyone, I have bought one of the books John recommended, but I might buy more. Once again thanks for all the great reccomendations :good:

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

These are to of my favourites i own: Called,

Weather-spectacular images of the world's extraordinary climate- by Storm Dunlop. foreword by Sir Chris Bonington. This is a large hard back with amazing photos.

Another is ,Wild Weather by John Lynch, the book from the bbc series. A very good one with great photos.

-

What's some good Advanced books, would like small books to be easy to hold for longer reads.?

Posted

Weather-spectacular images of the world's extraordinary climate- by Storm Dunlop. foreword by Sir Chris Bonington. This is a large hard back with amazing photos.

Another is ,Wild Weather by John Lynch, the book from the bbc series. A very good one with great photos.

-

What's some good Advanced books, would like small books to be easy to hold for longer reads.?

I would suggest Nos 3, 7 and 9, depending on your knowledge of meteorology already, see my post above and the link it provides.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

-

EDIT-the above books are advanced! but more photography based, and their great, i also want small mostly text books advanced and with illustrations .

-

And thanks JH, il take a look at link.

Edited by nimbilus