Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lighting In Preston?

Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

On Friday night 12 November as I was travelling south om the M6 approaching Preston ,Lanc's sometime around 6.10pm approx I saw what i thought to be lighting. This was just to the west of the town i saw it through the trees and half wondered if it was from the overhead power cables on the trainlines. I did not think too much more about it until we were in Preston and hit rain. I then saw a more powerful flash again. This time it was more into the built up area and the street lights went out. I was listening to radio Lancashire and they too had a power outage and they lost contact with a person in Preston who had been talking to them on the phone.

I wouldn't mind if any one that lives in that area could say if there was anything around that night or if they knew what happened.

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

On Friday night 12 November as I was travelling south om the M6 approaching Preston ,Lanc's sometime around 6.10pm approx I saw what i thought to be lighting. This was just to the west of the town i saw it through the trees and half wondered if it was from the overhead power cables on the trainlines. I did not think too much more about it until we were in Preston and hit rain. I then saw a more powerful flash again. This time it was more into the built up area and the street lights went out. I was listening to radio Lancashire and they too had a power outage and they lost contact with a person in Preston who had been talking to them on the phone.

I wouldn't mind if any one that lives in that area could say if there was anything around that night or if they knew what happened.

Tom

You may be right - look at this site which shows lightning strikes for the last week: http://andvari.vedur...gar/index.html?

There are some strikes showing as being in the Preston area including one in light orange (for Friday 12th).

I'm not sure how good the data is but it's supplied by the UK Met Office so would have thought the location is fairly accurate - maybe it doesn't pick up all the strikes though.

Posted

Hi I live near Preston and can tell you that I saw nothing on Friday, and only heard of a power cut on Thursday night. However the real storm was on Saturday morning. I went out to clean the car of the dust that had been blown on it (from the storm on thursday) and heard the loudest crack of thunder ever, and the odd hailstone shower hitting me. On my way to work i pass through a village and it looked as though they had bore the brunt of that storm. About 30 minutes after the storm had gone past my house ( I should mention that this 'village' is about 2 miles away) there was a thick layer of large hailstones covering the ground. It was surreal, that suddenly the ground was covered in ice.

Posted

I heard thunder on Saturday morning as well, but don't recall anything on Friday night. I do know that the lights were flickering quite a bit on Friday night, this seemed strange to me as the severe gales were the night before! Whether that has anything to do with it I don't know.

EDIT, just found this on the Lancashire Evening Post website, from the comments section:

Did anyone else see the massive sparks showering down on Friday night from the pylons down by the docks? I was driving under them when they all exploded and the street lights went out. Scary!

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/morning_after_the_stormy_night_before_1_2756860

Edited by Paul B

Posted

I heard thunder on Saturday morning as well, but don't recall anything on Friday night. I do know that the lights were flickering quite a bit on Friday night, this seemed strange to me as the severe gales were the night before! Whether that has anything to do with it I don't know.

EDIT, just found this on the Lancashire Evening Post website, from the comments section:

http://www.lep.co.uk...efore_1_2756860

You've just made me wish I was at the docks on Friday night now. Sparks must have looked amazing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Thanks to everyone for the feedback

The two flashes were about 5 to 10 minutes apart and the second flash was pretty intense but almost north west of the docks. I can only imagine that it was a lightning strike that must have blown out a transformer.

The street lights were not out for long 5 minutes at the very most. Unfortunately the Preston match wasnt postponed. How I wish it had been. :wallbash:

These were not unlike the transfomers blowing up when we were in Arkansas this year.

Tom