Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Road Safety Has Common Sense Died

I don't know whether it's a lack of common sense or is it this "the driver is always to blame syndrome".

Cyclists two abreast on a single track road with poor visibility due to high banking and dense woodland and undergrowth. Now the road is the national speed limit so knobs can do 60 if they so wish. I've seen Motorbikes do it. So applying the rule everyone else is an idiot you shouldn't ride abreast.

I'm cycling I've got a young I'm taking out with me. Again same narrow road so the safest place for the kid is actually just in front of dad. Dad wobbling about next to the kid isn't a good idea. If a vehicle takes out daddy kiddy will go as well. Since the kid wasn't very stable either there was a good chance of kid taking out daddy. Even better there's footpath very close which runs parallel which also has a cycle track on it. Now if I was daddy I would take the kid on that rather than the narrow single track road.

Walkers always walk in single file. Not any more lets all walk bunched out across the road. Even better the sun is low in the sky so lets walk towards traffic with the sun behind us and make it as hard as possible to be seen. Doh.

I can't make head nor tail of this twaddle. What are you moaning about this time Pit?

Yes a load of twaddle but i cannot stand it when cyclists all ride next to each other blocking roads up.

Not a load of twaddle just common sense safety.

Missed a few words though which made it harder to read.

Lets look at the kid and his father.

1) The road is a narrow single track and poor visibility.

2) The child doesn't have stabilisers and is almost falling into his father.

3) There's a public track a few yards away where the only thing you'll meet is other cyclists and walkers.

So what is safer. A dangerous narrow road or a track where the child can fall off and just get a few bruises and no other risk.

With the countryside now more open there's more walkers. Again when walking on roads you should walk in signal file and position yourself so you're in clear view of approaching traffic. If the road is narrow be prepared to step off the road if need be for courtesy and your own well being. In fog/snow wear a high visibility jacket. If there's a pavement use it.

Very easy simple steps but people just don't want too follow them.

I sort of get what you mean, but the child may of been in the way? ;)

I sort of get what you mean, but the child may of been in the way? ;)

Which isn't a good idea on a very narrow track.

its is illegal to cycle two abreast on any road..infact it should be illegal for any cyclist to go on the roads and the same goes for caravans

its is illegal to cycle two abreast on any road..

No it's not although on narrow roads it should be. Gangs of cyclists blocking roads should be pulled over and fined for obstruction though.

If a cyclist is well behaved and does everything sensible I have no problem with them what's so ever. Just the same for any other road user who acts in sensible manner. It's just the ones that try and remove themselves from the gene pool and make everyone else suffer for their stupidity.

What about going down hill in a 20mph zone and 14 or more cyclists pass all the cars who are not breaking the speed limt,

What about going down hill in a 20mph zone and 14 or more cyclists pass all the cars who are not breaking the speed limt,

Or you're waiting to overtake two cyclists in front you and the third overtakes you on the left and cuts across in front of you making it three abreast.

You have drivers that dont break the 20mph speed limits - I dont think any around here even observe the 30mph ones!

I am increasingly finding that I feel people should be retested every 5 - 10 years as the standard of driving is now as bad as I can ever remember. Oh and on the motorway undertaking should be allowed now because so many idiots sit in the middle lane at 65mph causing congestion as others are forced to move out from the left and all the way around them.

Cyclist should be forced to have helmets on at all times with spot fines for not wearing one while riding and all new bikes should by law be supplied fitted with lights much like they are supplied with a bell.

I am increasingly finding that I feel people should be retested every 5 - 10 years as the standard of driving is now as bad as I can ever remember. Oh and on the motorway undertaking should be allowed now because so many idiots sit in the middle lane at 65mph causing congestion as others are forced to move out from the left and all the way around them.

Got to admit I've got fed up with drivers who don't stick to the speed limit, can't read signs and have no lane discipline.

When I drive to work in the morning the bus lanes aren't in operation. The number of cars that don't use this lane and drive in the other at less than 30 mph. I now overtake them on the left. The final stretch to work is dual carriage way 40 mph limit. I would say 70% of drivers drive in the right hand lane at 25-30 mph. Everyone one of them would fail the driving test. They tend to get rather upset being undertaken in some cases and will then go above the limit to get back in front of you.

Overtaking on the left should be allowed as you should always look before pulling back to the left anyway.

Cyclists are ignorant buggers, it really winds me up when there are more than two of them just taking up all of a road not giving a damn about other road users....We have to think about them so it should go vice versa, and this goes for the vast majority i come across.

...And before any of you pipe up, i cycle locally....well i mountain bike.

I hate cyclists, they are nothing but a danger on the road and should be banned.

I still strongly belief that bad cyclists are also bad drivers. I can't see the the attitudes changing when going from two to four wheels to be honest.

Anyway the other weekend must have been courtesy week on the roads. Cyclists straight to single file and even a group of horse riders on a narrow rode stepped off to allow the traffic past. That sort of courtesy makes a journey much more easy and much more pleasant for all concerned.

I would never take a young child out on the main roads on a bike anywhere !!

I don't cycle on the roads round here (not that my bike comes out that often anyway) even on the local roads, and the grid roads are mainly dual carrageways so way to dangerous, but then we don't have to here as in Milton Keynes there is a Redway system, it's a 120-mile network of cycleways and footpaths surfaced with red tarmac that criss-cross most of MK, they run next to the grid roads and local roads with underpasses or bridges where they intersect major roads. One of the aims of the redways was to make travel for pedestrians and cyclists convenient, safe, and accident free.

Others run though parkland, woods and round lakes, being so far away from traffic certainly makes dog walking very pleasant :)

Unfortunately cyclists and pedestrians don't mix well. The antics of some cyclists make walking a very unpleasant experience. The bad cyclists presume as they do on the roads that they own the track and the pedestrian should get out of the way instantly. Unfortunatley the cycle tracks are being expanded across the peak district so once quiet pleasant walks are under threat.

Do they still do the cycling proficency test at school?

Learn how to cycle young, then as a proficent and experienced cyclist you learn to drive and respect other road users.

Fail to do the first, you fail to do the second. IMHO.

I do find a lot of cyclists these days to be as lacking in common courtesy and knowedge of the Highway Code as most car drivers are. I'm sure it's not coincidence.

I am strongly in favour of a segregated cycle network (in addition to cyclists being allowed to use the roads, not instead of, before anyone suggests that I'm advocating the "get out of motorists' way" attitude!) but consider segregation of cyclists and pedestrians to be somewhat preferable to shared cycle/pedestrian paths. I've seen research on the safety impacts of segregated cycle facilities showing an increase in the mean number of accidents when cyclists and pedestrians share the same facilities, but with less clear-cut safety results when cyclists and pedestrians are segregated.

Most of the accidents probably stem from a small minority of idiots, but I also find it more disconcerting generally as a pedestrian when walking along a shared cycle/pedestrian path than a path featuring separate lanes for cyclists and pedestrians- just because you've got an extra set of users to watch out for at all times. Even just a little white dividing line helps.

I would certainly cycle a lot more if there was a decent separate network for cyclists about, but on a bicycle too I find that dedicated cycle facilities are better than mixed cycle/pedestrian routes- again in the latter, you have to look out constantly for pedestrians.

Do they still do the cycling proficency test at school?

Learn how to cycle young, then as a proficent and experienced cyclist you learn to drive and respect other road users.

Fail to do the first, you fail to do the second. IMHO.

I do find a lot of cyclists these days to be as lacking in common courtesy and knowedge of the Highway Code as most car drivers are. I'm sure it's not coincidence.

Not sure that they do.

Courtesy and common sense make a huge difference. Lights on when it dark and yes car drivers applies to you as well. Where something bright what ever happened to those arm bands kids used to wear so they could be seen when crossing the road. I remember once driving home in the fog and I saw these trainers walk across the road. You couldn't see who they belonged too as they were dressed in black.

Where I work these a cycle track on the pavement and divided by the white line. Most cyclists ride down far down too fast and the number of pedestrians who ignore the division is amazing. Now this is fairly recent ignorance say the last ten years as cyclists used stay in cycle lane and pedestrians used to stay on the pedestrian side. It also not helped that the council in it's wisdom swaps the sides over half way down.