Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lacrosse Ws 2300 Hack / Upgrade

Posted

Ok......

after reading "thursdays storm parts 1 - 5" I gave this a go after the "I'm only only recording 18 mph but It's more like 80 mph" posts.

http://www.wikihow.com/Modify-a-Lacrosse-Ws2300-for-Frequent-Wireless-Updates

I performed it on my freinds station and It's now faster than my VP2

He gets wireless updates at 1.3 second intervals, A MUST FOR ACCURATE WIND READINGS.

I'm seriously considering this station now!

Ric

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Impressive for those capable of making such fiddly modifications. I would almost certainly render my WS useless after trying that!

Your right its rubbish for wind speed, my max gusts are less than half the actual ones,

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

This can be done with the WS 2350 model as well, only difference between this and the WS 2300 is Wind cups instead of the kestrel style jewel baring fan setup.

I'm getting a WS2350, and I'm guessing it won't have the same problems.

Shouldn't this be in WS&E instead?

The ws2350 has the same parts as the ws2300.

I've decided to buy a ws2350 and I'm gonna try to make it run like a rolex (10 updates per second) by tweaking the nano farads capacitors values.

• 2 months later...
Posted

Quick question for you techies out there...

I just got my WS-2350, but alas, just discovered the software and USB driver will not work with my mac (Mac OS X, 2.4 Ghz Intel). I am disgusted with myself for spending this money, yet not finding out that it won't run with mac!!!

So. Anyone out there help with some software links? I tried WeatherD, but for some reason, that won't load, (despite repeated attempts, in frustration!). My eyes are square now from googling and answer to this!

All help appreciated.

Posted

Google for open2300, it's an open source suite of command line programs for manipulating WS23** weather stations. Not sure if you could find a binary for mac osx or if you would need to compile it, but if you can get it installed you can set up a cronjob to automatically collect data at predefined intervals.

I use this on a Pentium 3 running linux, collecting data every 5minutes.

Posted

Google for open2300, it's an open source suite of command line programs for manipulating WS23** weather stations. Not sure if you could find a binary for mac osx or if you would need to compile it, but if you can get it installed you can set up a cronjob to automatically collect data at predefined intervals.

I use this on a Pentium 3 running linux, collecting data every 5minutes.

Really appreciate the reply, honestly! But if you could dumb it down slightly, I'd be more appreciative! No idea what a cronjob is or how to find a binary (whatever that is) for a mac...

It;s a cross I've been carrying all my life!!! I am a tecnophobe!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Sorry for the delayed reply. A binary is a pre-compiled ready to run application. Unfortunately it doesn't look as if there is one for the mac, so you would need to get your hands dirty with the oldschool unix stuff that underpins Max OSX to actually compile the software yourself (turn it from human readable code into machine readable code basically). Which is probably not what a technophobe wants to hear.

It's not actually a major undertaking setting up the open2300 software apps, but if your not familiar with unix, have never heard of make, unix shells or gcc, it will be a steep learning curve and an actually very simple problem could leave you :wallbash: for days. If however you like a challenge and learning new stuff, it could be worth a try as it gives you a great deal of flexibility that the bundled software doesn't (even if it worked on your mac).

• 4 months later...
Posted

Ok......

after reading "thursdays storm parts 1 - 5" I gave this a go after the "I'm only only recording 18 mph but It's more like 80 mph" posts.

http://www.wikihow.com/Modify-a-Lacrosse-Ws2300-for-Frequent-Wireless-Updates

I performed it on my freinds station and It's now faster than my VP2

He gets wireless updates at 1.3 second intervals, A MUST FOR ACCURATE WIND READINGS.

I'm seriously considering this station now!

Ric

Is it not the case that with such frequent updates your battery life is shortened considerably?

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Is it not the case that with such frequent updates your battery life is shortened considerably?

Still on original lithiums from 03/01/10 :rolleyes:

For anyone clicking my weather station link below...... I've had server trouble and the site is 3 weeks out of date, this will be fully updated monday.

Edited by Richie V