Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

Protected No Claims

I'm renewing my insurance for both cars, and can never work out if it's worth protecting my no claims or not. I've got 12 years no claims on one car, which I've always had protected, and 4 years on my second car, which I could now protect if I want to. However, my understanding is that all protected no claims does is protect the level of discount you get on the insurance if you have an accident. The premium will rise, but you'll still get your discount.

Does anyone else bother?

I have always bothered in the past, but recently decided not to pay the extra to protect my 9+yrs accident free motoring. My father had PNC for years, he had a very slight bump and the other party made a claim against him and his car insurance has shot up, so its not really worth it.

I find the easiest way to save all the hassle about whether or not to protect your no claims ....... is to not have a car :rofl:

(well it works for me!)

Or wash, or heat your house, or light with anything but resin, or wear clothes made from anything but hemp. I bet you haven't even got an iPad!

if it's worth protecting my no claims or not? … good question

I do and imo it is worth it, on renewing you insurance your asked questions that go on a points system

So if you have had a bump your insurance will still go up, but you still keep your “no claims†so this will lower the cost when renewing.

You say you have 12 years no claims but I think you can only get 9 years max?

I've never known quite how many years you can accrue. All I know is that my current insurers (Swiftcover) have me in the category 5 years +, but in the details, they note I have 12 years without claims.

In terms of protected no claims, I think I'm right in saying that if you have a claim, the protection offered only applies if you stay with your existing insurer. You can't carry over the protection (the same level of discount) if you want to swap. In that sense, it might prove poor value for money. However, as my current insurers have been the cheapest by a long way for the past 4 years, perhaps that's something I shouldn't worry about?

I am puzzled as to why the insurance on my wife's car (a Toyota Corolla Verso) has increased by about 15% despite another year without claiming, and the car being worth less! Still a combined insurance cost of £47/month for two fully comp drivers on that car, and my XC70 seems pretty reasonable in all.

Just remember, if you make a claim in any year you don't lose all your NCB, you usually lose 2 years, so if you started with say 8 yrs NCB, and then make a claim, you'll probably go down to 6 for next year. If you run quotes online for -2 years NCB compared to your curent NCB it often works out less than what you're paying to protect NCB. And if you protect NCB year after year and never make a claim, you're losing more and more money every year of course. in the end it's all about how you feel really, if protecting your NCB gives you a nice warm feeling then it's probably worth it. If you try and justify it purely on money terms then it's very debatable, even if you do make a claim.

Waste an hour of your life and use GoCompare and play around with the numbers.

If you use Topcashback to link to Gocompare you'll get paid £1.77 free for using the site (and probably if you use Quidco as well).... not quite the minumum wage but better than nothing.

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/gocompare-car-insurance/