Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Little Teds Nursery

Yet produces another knee jerk reaction with a propasal for mobile phones to be banned. So everyone with a mobile is a perv. I don't think so. Apparently the people involved in this abuse had aleady passed the previous knee jerk checks. Somehow a mobile phone ban wouldn't have stopped them me thinks. Better management perhaps would have.

Yet produces another knee jerk reaction with a propasal for mobile phones to be banned. So everyone with a mobile is a perv. I don't think so. Apparently the people involved in this abuse had aleady passed the previous knee jerk checks. Somehow a mobile phone ban wouldn't have stopped them me thinks. Better management perhaps would have.

Link to the story?

Links

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/BREAKING-NEWS-Little-Ted-s-report-finds-nursery-ideal-environment-Vanessa-s-crimes/article-2838505-detail/article.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11693130

There is also a link somewhere on www.plymouth.gov.uk

Sadly two members of my shift at work both had children at Little Teds- and thanks to nature of Vanessa George- the photos taken of the children are generally without their heads (as earlier confirmed by Devon and Cornwall Police), hence they simply don't know if either of their children have been affected. As one confessed to me earlier today "if he starts developing behavioural problems, we'll have to potentially deal with it then".

The checks in place for private nurseries, simply weren't good enough and that Vanessa George was a) a bully in the workplace and in line with all people like her b- extremely cunning.

So it no mobiles leads to protection- then so be it.

If you get chance there's more information on BBC Spotlight on the BBC i player.

Yes. By all means ban mobile 'phones from school classrooms. And, while we're at it - install CCTV inside all classrooms...

That would, IMO, protect everyone from any nefarious activity??

Banning mobiles won't do anything. It's just a knee jerk reaction that will convince some people that everyone walking past a school or play area is a pervert or something if they are using a phone or are in possession of such a device.

CCTV could used by perverts as well.

One school had them installed even in the toilets to stop bullying and had to have them removed due to pupil protest.

The evil women herself had passed the previous checks which shows how useless they are.

Mobile phone ban perhaps not, mobile phone camera ban yes. Id love to see that happen in the schools. The kids are bloomin menaces.

Im afarid it comes down to practice in nursery no single preson should be alone with young children,

Safeguarding the children and safeguarding innocent adults from heresay and malious accusations.

The way to get round the problem of saying which children were involved and which ones were not, is not to allow parole for this evil woman until she does confess and send her to hard labour, perhaps with a little exercise it might take her mind away from those things.

The PIT, police checks in Scotland an enhanced disclosure check would have revealed her past, that is divorce.. via social checks.

Mobile phone ban perhaps not, mobile phone camera ban yes. Id love to see that happen in the schools. The kids are bloomin menaces.

Im afarid it comes down to practice in nursery no single preson should be alone with young children,

Safeguarding the children and safeguarding innocent adults from heresay and malious accusations.

The way to get round the problem of saying which children were involved and which ones were not, is not to allow parole for this evil woman until she does confess and send her to hard labour, perhaps with a little exercise it might take her mind away from those things.

The PIT, police checks in Scotland an enhanced disclosure check would have revealed her past, that is divorce.. via social checks.

If I remember correctly there was no previous activity in relation too children. At least that what the TV was going on about yesterday afternoon. Divorce shouldn't stop you from working in a nursery.

The evil women herself had passed the previous checks which shows how useless they are.

CRB checks would only reveal previous convictions. If she didn't have any, that is why she got through all the checks OK.

Yes. By all means ban mobile 'phones from school classrooms. And, while we're at it - install CCTV inside all classrooms...

That would, IMO, protect everyone from any nefarious activity??

Not necessarily Pete, George broke protocols unchallenged at the nursery in question so I suspect a ban on mobile phones would not have made any difference as she would presumably have just ignored that rule too.

Having worked in various childcare and educational settings I think it is vital for staff to have immediate access to their phones in case of emergency. Professional staff who care about the well being of their charges would only use them appropriately.

I'm all for cctv though as it could potentially protect children (and vulnerable adults) from harm and also protect staff and carers from false allegations.

CRB checks would only reveal previous convictions. If she didn't have any, that is why she got through all the checks OK.

Indeed.

So who monitors the people responsible for cctv. Do we have cctv for them as well???

Not necessarily Pete, George broke protocols unchallenged at the nursery in question so I suspect a ban on mobile phones would not have made any difference as she would presumably have just ignored that rule too.

My first thoughts are, this person sexually abused a child, photographed the abuse, and shared it with others. Surely banning mobile phones with cameras would, in that instance, only have prevented the abuse from being shared, and not prevented the abuse from occurring in the first place?

The “lessons learned†include recognition of the danger of mobile phones within day care setting. However, the report also states that though banning phones was an “important preventative measure†it adds “this alone will not prevent abuse taking place.

The usual arguments for this kind of ban being necessary are, "if you try to differentiate abusers from responsible people, you can't always stop the abusers" and "I would rather have innocent people denied a non-essential freedom than have one rapist be missed and rape children". So, we ban mobile phones, but we recognise that this alone won't always stop the abuse, and find that in practice, abusers increase their incidence of abuse of B. So we ban B to legislate for this, and the process rinses and repeats.

Thus, my objection to a ban on mobile phones is my usual objection to measures of this type- every small reduction in risk requires large curbs to the liberties of innocent people. However, I don't object to the use of CCTV in these situations, mainly for the reasons that M'Lady gives above.

I'm not sure if there is such a thing but would it be worth having a whistleblowing helpline type things for people who wanted to flag up inappropriate behaviour in childcare whether staff or parents? I remember one assistant in a nursery my daughter went to kissed the children on the mouth, only a peck but I found it inappropriate but felt really bad raising it with the Manageress

So who monitors the people responsible for cctv. Do we have cctv for them as well???

Probably, or perhaps, at some point, we might remember that the majority of people in the caring professions are good, decent, honest individuals following a calling, rather than depraved monsters with hidden agendas.

I remember one assistant in a nursery my daughter went to kissed the children on the mouth, only a peck but I found it inappropriate but felt really bad raising it with the Manageress

That's inappropriate, unhygienic and just plain wrong and I'm stunned by the member of staff's naivety. Good for you for raising it with the manageress KT.

Probably, or perhaps, at some point, we might remember that the majority of people in the caring professions are good, decent, honest individuals following a calling, rather than depraved monsters with hidden agendas.

That's inappropriate, unhygienic and just plain wrong and I'm stunned by the member of staff's naivety. Good for you for raising it with the manageress KT.

To her she probably thought it was ok as she was just affectionate but people don't like say anything that might rock the boat.

And that's my point. I can't see the point of banning phones or installing cctv. The people who are going to do this wouldn't care if they were banned or not. The majority as you say are honest and hard working.

We've now got the alarmists going on about children posting images of themselves on the web. I wonder how these alarmists go to sleep a night with all the constant worrying they do.